PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones 2021 Season Tracker: 3801 Yards, 22TD, 13INT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac Jones week 13 highlights.

7 wins in a row. The only rookie QBs with 6 straight road wins are Big Ben, Dak, and Mac.

Week 16:
22 for 30, 227 yards, 3 TDs no picks

Can't really argue against this as JaMarr Chase is having one of the best rookie WR seasons ever. btw nobody knocks Burrow for throwing to both Chase and Justin Jefferson in college.

Mac will be like Joe Montana!
How do I know? Because he already mimicked "THE CATCH" vs. the Jags.

The first TD pass to Wilk, was in essence the same play as the famous 1981 play to Dwight Clark. Even from the 6-yd line.
Mac rolls out to his right, waits for Wilk to come across the back of the EZ and throws a better ball than Joe did.
(it wasn't a high floater because the zone DB #37 wasn't as deep in the EZ, and Mac didn't have to wait as long so the DL's weren't forcing him to drift back to the sideline like Joe had)
But the similarity of the plays is uncanny. And, no one is talking about Mac's ability to throw while boot-legging, he's had some dimes on the run this year. I expect that feature to be increased as he progresses, he is certainly more agile and quick than Brady was (is).

Bad last 6 weeks as the stench of the OC has slowly made our rookie QB worse.

captain conservatives play calling has hampered Jones. they don't open it up and throw downfield until they're down 14. until that point the only throws more than 10 or 15 yd down the field are trick plays. it's so frustrating to watch.

Solid rookie year overall, but Coaches have been way too conservative with him. With that being said, he’s got a lot to work on. Matt Cassell expects him to get a Coach to improve certain aspects of his game in the offseason which we all know what that is. Cassell said he found Tom House and turned Tom Brady on to him. I’ll try to find the article.

Here it is:

Last edited:
their predictability really hurt Jones. run, run, pass inside the 20. I'm high on Mac Jones but he is a rookie. captain conservative really wants him to be a game manager but Jones can be so much more. if he had anyone decent going downfield or if perhaps maybe they tried to hit a few shots Mac #s are much better and I really think they win another game at least. I think they must've lead the league in fewest pass attempts in the first half. I guess it worked because they made the tournament, but they really are limping in and a big reason is captain conservative and his play calling. if they have Mac Jones try to draw buffalo offside on 4th and 1 from the 50 down 14 next week we should all be calling for new coaches

Watching Herbert throw line drives for 20+ yards into tight windows shows what a true NFL arm looks like. Others like Allen, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. have those NFL caliber arms. Even guys that haven't played well like Wilson and Lawrence can make those throws. Not being able to make those throws really limits what the offense can do, and you become predictable. Let's hope the kid can develop a better arm this offseason.

Watching Herbert throw line drives for 20+ yards into tight windows shows what a true NFL arm looks like. Others like Allen, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. have those NFL caliber arms. Even guys that haven't played well like Wilson and Lawrence can make those throws. Not being able to make those throws really limits what the offense can do, and you become predictable. Let's hope the kid can develop a better arm this offseason.

I always think with these kinds of things - guys need to adapt quick or it never changes. So if we see a more aggressive bigger stronger Mac Jones next year - making better throws. Then there is hope. But if he plays exactly the same - forget about this offseason improvement stuff.

Reminds me of Rajon Rondo and the 'learning to shoot" stuff you hear about on NBA forums. Its not impossible but it doesn't happen 6 years into a guys career. Same with improving physically.. rare - but needs to happen early.

Not one person anywhere has said Mac doesn't have an "True NFL arm" They have said he doesn't have all world arm strength. It is so cute you are always so negative. If only the Patriots had signed a real qb instead of that looser Mac Jones.

Not one person anywhere has said Mac doesn't have an "True NFL arm" They have said he doesn't have all world arm strength. It is so cute you are always so negative. If only the Patriots had signed a real qb instead of that looser Mac Jones.

Arm strength is over rated as a QB trait, Nobody had the arm of Elway, but it took him years in the league before he could master the mental game.

Mac has the ability to be a great QB, he obviously has the mental make up, he just needs more reps. He got baited into that pick 6 yesterday, and that will end with more playing time, that had nothing to do with arm strength.

Brady is the greatest QB ever, because you can't fool him and he gets his team into the right play. I watched him yesterday, go no huddle, and just marched his team right down the field and their was nothing the defense could do to stop him (even with a very depleted WR corps).

Mac needs to get better mentally, and that only comes with film work and playing time. He throws a nice deep ball, he needs to make more of those throws to loosen up the defense.

Mac had a solid season. A few frustrating rookie moments but a lot to feel positive about. I agree that his arm limits him but he has an arm you can win with. He needs help on offense with a real playmaking WR. He has to throw into such tight windows all the time - I'm not sure if the constant short throws are the coaches tailoring things to his strengths or whether we just don't have the weapons to throw deep.

We don't seem to have explosive plays or long catch and runs. We haven't had a 100 yard receiver all year, nor have we had a true deep ball touchdown - although Mac has throw a few perfect ones that were dropped.

Objective A on offense this offseason: find a game changing WR somehow, although I know that's easier said than done.

He also needs to put a LOT of time in the film room as well, no matter what happens in the postseason. He’s been “figured out” by DCs. They’re forcing him to throw to the sticks more often and choking off everything between the hashes. The second safety doesn’t need to respect anything deep, so he’s either coming up in run support or playing the “Robber” role. I was never really in the “weak arm” camp, but watching his throws to the outside hashes late in the season has me changing my mind.

With that said, he has the mental aspects of the game down for a rookie. That’s 3/4’s of the battle right there. You have no hope with a moron at the most important position. Now it’s just strengthening his arm, fine tuning his mechanics, and watching where he’s going wrong in the film room.

I wonder what Mac’s stats would look like if he had James White for the whole season.

I wonder what Mac’s stats would look like if he had James White for the whole season.

Bolden has been surprisingly great so I don’t know how much better he’d be.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill