PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones 2021 Season Tracker: 3801 Yards, 22TD, 13INT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac will have a hard time winning ROY with the rookie WRs being so impressive and with his statistical success outside of his completion % being so high. He really needs to get more TDs and a better TD/Int ratio to get it. Now if he was Lawrence having a year like this he would probably get it cause of his hype. Is that fair? No. And he wouldn't deserve it. But he'd get it. I think Mac would get it most years, but he won't get it this year IMO. What I'm happy about more than his chances of ROY are his development. Which has been steady. I think he's putting himself in good position to make that fabled year 2 jump. I still don't think he'll be one of the top QBs in the NFL at this moment. But maybe he will.

Here are the weaknesses Mac needs to work on for the rest of the year

1 Pocket Movement/Creating time.
2 Manipulating the D
3 Getting rid of the ball when it's time to give up on a play.

Right now his main draw back is he is playing fairly robotically. Which has both it's positivies and negatives. He's hitting tight windows and looking great when protected. But he seems to just do the same thing every play. If you get pressure he takes a sack. If you have tight coverage to his target he forces it and hopes for the best. If the play design doesn't work he always goes to the check down fairly quickly. Which is good but also bad as he sometimes gives up on it too quick. He plays like a flow chart almost.

Mac will have a hard time winning ROY with the rookie WRs being so impressive and with his statistical success outside of his completion % being so high. He really needs to get more TDs and a better TD/Int ratio to get it. Now if he was Lawrence having a year like this he would probably get it cause of his hype. Is that fair? No. And he wouldn't deserve it. But he'd get it. I think Mac would get it most years, but he won't get it this year IMO. What I'm happy about more than his chances of ROY are his development. Which has been steady. I think he's putting himself in good position to make that fabled year 2 jump. I still don't think he'll be one of the top QBs in the NFL at this moment. But maybe he will.

Here are the weaknesses Mac needs to work on for the rest of the year

1 Pocket Movement/Creating time.
2 Manipulating the D
3 Getting rid of the ball when it's time to give up on a play.

Right now his main draw back is he is playing fairly robotically. Which has both it's positivies and negatives. He's hitting tight windows and looking great when protected. But he seems to just do the same thing every play. If you get pressure he takes a sack. If you have tight coverage to his target he forces it and hopes for the best. If the play design doesn't work he always goes to the check down fairly quickly. Which is good but also bad as he sometimes gives up on it too quick. He plays like a flow chart almost.

Yeah agree. But I'm all good with winning every single week and Mac throwing for 200 yards and 80% passing while minimizing sacks and turnovers.

The formula this year should be strong defense, RUNNING GAME, and then choiceful opportunistic passing.

This was a fun article by Curran and I think fair and encouraging to see from him, especially given how pro-Brady he has been the last 18 months.

“Mac Jones has some stuff in him, some intangibles, that I think are maybe the greatest we’ve ever seen from a quarterback,” Clark said. “Now, it doesn’t mean he has the strongest arm. It doesn’t mean he’s the fastest. But from the neck up, I’m not sure if we’ve ever seen a rookie that is better. And it’s showing every day that he takes snaps on the field.”

Rookie qbs are not supposed to be "surgical"....
A surgeon's main tool is a knife....
Best nickname for Jones:
Mac the Knife. No apologies to Bobby Darin

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1638150230448.jpg
    FB_IMG_1638150230448.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3
Rookie qbs are not supposed to be "surgical"....
A surgeon's main tool is a knife....
Best nickname for Jones:
Mac the Knife. No apologies to Bobby Darin
or Kurt Weill.

Fantastic day at the office. 3 passes, 2 QB sneaks, 3 kneel downs.

Fantastic day at the office. 3 passes, 2 QB sneaks, 3 kneel downs.
In a way, a humbling game for his ego. Was not a fun of all the trademark moves last week. I know it was not a big deal, but it was strange and I am sure BB took notice and had to keep his young stud in a box. There will be highlights to the rest of the team and not just Mac.
I listened to what Manning said and I wondered why this game plan was put in. It was all about protecting the young buck, not making a mistake and losing the game. Can you imagine the headlines? They will crush him

Manning said: “Bill Polian, as a rookie with me with the Colts, did the same thing. He didn’t let the marketing department talk to me, the community relations department talk to me. He said, ‘Hey, it’s all football this first season. Don’t bother him,’“ recounted Manning. ”And I think the Patriots are taking that same approach with Mac Jones and it’s paying off, it’s working.”

Last edited:
In a way, a humbling game for his ego. Was not a fun of all the trademark moves last week. I know it was not a good deal, but it was strange and I am sure BB took notice and had to keep his young stud in a box. There will be highlights to the rest of the team and not just Mac.
I listened to what Manning said and I wondered why this game plan was put in. It was all about protecting the young buck, not making a mistake and losing the game. Can you imagine the headlines? They will crush him

Agree. 35mph winds and Mac didn't play in cold weather in college. And the Bills gave up 6ypc against runs against good teams.

Just stay with the power run game all season. Don't get cute. The personnel here is ideal for a power run offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe