PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones 2021 Season Tracker: 3801 Yards, 22TD, 13INT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really thought this was one of McDaniel's best seasons of his career. I suppose you can be upset at the conservative play calling but I think it's pretty obvious that Mac has a ways to go before he can really try to unleash him not only mentally in reading defenses but also arm strength.

The biggest issue from an offensive standpoint I see is this offense is woefully void of dynamic playmakers. If Bill does not address that and keeps playing Harry instead of receivers like Wilkerson than this team is going nowhere in the future in terms of being a real contender. We have to be able to compete with teams like the bills, chiefs, benglas, Ravens, etc. This philosophy of running the ball as much as we do is not going to work. We have got to get skill guys that are difference makers. I'm just not all that confident that Bill will spend the money necessary to do that.

He also needs to put a LOT of time in the film room as well, no matter what happens in the postseason. He’s been “figured out” by DCs. They’re forcing him to throw to the sticks more often and choking off everything between the hashes. The second safety doesn’t need to respect anything deep, so he’s either coming up in run support or playing the “Robber” role. I was never really in the “weak arm” camp, but watching his throws to the outside hashes late in the season has me changing my mind.

With that said, he has the mental aspects of the game down for a rookie. That’s 3/4’s of the battle right there. You have no hope with a moron at the most important position. Now it’s just strengthening his arm, fine tuning his mechanics, and watching where he’s going wrong in the film room.

Some of this can be automatically improved by receiver upgrades, specifically a pure slot guy and speedier downfield threat(s). I think the sideline and flat misfires are more timing vs. arm strength. All season long, post-snap communication has been a work in progress. Considering you've had a rookie throwing to players new to the system (Meyers the exception), what they HAVE accomplished is pretty remarkable.

Fans cry for the overrated Herbert, who heads back home with his offensive weapons, while Mac and Josh head to the playoffs.

Jones clearly doesn't have Herbert's arm, but he also doesn't have Mike Williams and Keenan Allen to throw to either. We saw yesterday and even last week, Jones throw deep passes on the money right where they are supposed to be. This whole arm strength thing is way overrated still.

We haven't seen a lot of evidence where he is forced to throw down the field where his arm strength is an issue except maybe against Buffalo at home when the Patriots were already in a deep deficit, the game was basically over, and the Pats were in desperation mode. When he is allowed to throw the deep ball, more often than not it is on the money either right to the receiver in a tight window or to a spot where only the receiver can get it.

Sure he needs to work on his mechanics and get his arm strength better. There is no denying that. But you can say that about a lot of rookie QBs. But he throws a nice deep ball that is accurate. I would love to see him with a true #1 WR and see what he can do.

Objective A on offense this offseason: find a game changing WR somehow, although I know that's easier said than done.
Objective A is to fix the run D. It's been putrid most of the season.

Bolden has been surprisingly great so I don’t know how much better he’d be.

Bolden has been surprising this year, but he isn't the dynamic receiver that James White is.

Some of this can be automatically improved by receiver upgrades, specifically a pure slot guy and speedier downfield threat(s). I think the sideline and flat misfires are more timing vs. arm strength. All season long, post-snap communication has been a work in progress. Considering you've had a rookie throwing to players new to the system (Meyers the exception), what they HAVE accomplished is pretty remarkable.
No doubt about it. I really disliked the Agholor signing, and he’s given me no reason to change my mind. Bourne has been a revelation, though. He’s really found his identity here. With some upgrades around him, he will be well on his way to supremacy.

I still think arm strength is one of the more overrated things when judging QBs. Drew Brees had below average arm strength his entire career. Denver Broncos version of Peyton Manning had below average arm strength even when he broke the TD record in 2013. You can overcome weak arm strength with touch and accuracy even on deep balls. That can be affected with strong winds, but even then with proper mechanics, it can be dealt with to minimize the effects.

The most common argument against the argument that Jones was a great deep ball thrower in college is that he had great receiver who could always get open. But why couldn't he do the same in the pros if he had great receivers? And watching his highlights from college, he was still hitting his receiver in stride right where the ball needed to be on deep passes. If you have above average deep ball accuracy, that doesn't change if your receiver is wide open or tightly covered.

Last edited:
Totally agree there is a book out now on Mac and how to defend him. This is the NFL and it was only a matter of time.

If Mac is as good as we think he is he will work hard this offseason make the second year leap and we’ll see a huge improvement this fall.

No doubt about it. I really disliked the Agholor signing, and he’s given me no reason to change my mind. Bourne has been a revelation, though. He’s really found his identity here. With some upgrades around him, he will be well on his way to supremacy.

I like Bourne too, he's a fiery competitor. Bourne and Meyers are similar in what they bring to the table, Bourne being more athletic/slightly faster. Agholor has no presence. Every time he makes a catch I get excited thinking he finally might become a factor, then he disappears. This offense would be so much better with Agholor and that other expensive afterthought, Jonnu Smith, performing as originally advertised. If Harry is on the roster next year I'll need counseling; Wilkerson is Bourne with no hands.

I’d say the 3800 yards was from an extra 17th game but he only threw 3 passes in a game so let’s call it 16 anyway. Lol

I like Bourne too, he's a fiery competitor. Bourne and Meyers are similar in what they bring to the table, Bourne being more athletic/slightly faster. Agholor has no presence. Every time he makes a catch I get excited thinking he finally might become a factor, then he disappears. This offense would be so much better with Agholor and that other expensive afterthought, Jonnu Smith, performing as originally advertised. If Harry is on the roster next year I'll need counseling; Wilkerson is Bourne with no hands.

They need to get Bourne more involved in the offense. Jones doesn't throw to him more than four times a game in most games. They need to make him more of a focal point. He is dynamic with the ball after the catch. He is that quick short route receiver they should be utilizing more.

The INTs needs to improve. QB coach can help him to further improve his mechanics. Sometimes he throws off his feet... Maybe help strengthen his deep throws..

Good for 1st year. Hope this improves in year 2.

Of course we NEED BETTER WRs!!!!

I still think arm strength is one of the more overrated things when judging QBs. Drew Brees had below average arm strength his entire career. Denver Broncos version of Peyton Manning had below average arm strength even when he broke the TD record in 2013. You can overcome weak arm strength with touch and accuracy even on deep balls. That can be affected with strong winds, but even then with proper mechanics, it can be dealt with to minimize the effects.

The most common argument against the argument that Jones was a great deep ball thrower in college is that he had great receiver who could always get open. But why couldn't he do the same in the pros if he had great receivers? And watching his highlights from college, he was still hitting his receiver in stride right where the ball needed to be on deep passes. If you have above average deep ball accuracy, that doesn't change if your receiver is wide open or tightly covered.
I wasn't referring to deep balls necessarily. I think Mac has plenty of arm strength to throw a deep accurate throw which requires putting an arc on the ball. I guess I'm talking about arm strength in the context of ball speed. Line drive throws that travel 20 yards staying 4 to 6 feet off the ground, bullets. These throws open up the playbook. I just haven't seen Mac being able to make those throws. Again, hopefully he can develop the arm strength in the offseason to make those type of throws.

Keep in mind when evaluating Mac that the pats were 2nd in the NFL with 24 rushing TDs. They scored 48 offensive TDs.

They were 11th in yards per play, 6th in PPG & 10th in 3rd down pct. They had an above average offense with Meyers, Bourne & Henry as their top 3 pass catchers.

I’m not sure there is more to squeeze out of this offense with the current personnel. Mac’s biggest improvement will depend on whether they get a #1 option in the passing game.

I’m not sure defenses are adjusting to Mac or their adjusting to the pats offense. Why wouldn’t you play cover 1 against this personnel? He’s completed multiple go routes to Meyers. I think he’s shown the ability to make those throws.

He had a pretty good rookie season all things considered. There were a good chunk of rookie mistakes but he showed the ability to command an offense & high level accuracy. Now it’s on him to improve & the front office to get someone defenses have to pay extra attention to in the passing game.

His throws to the outside have been looking worse and worse. I don't know if there is an injury or if his arm is just weak and wearing down over the course of the season but there isn't much zip on some of those out routes. Can't even really blame the cold as the Colts game was in a dome and yesterday was in South Florida.

His throws to the outside have been looking worse and worse. I don't know if there is an injury or if his arm is just weak and wearing down over the course of the season but there isn't much zip on some of those out routes. Can't even really blame the cold as the Colts game was in a dome and yesterday was in South Florida.
I do think he wearing down. Great rookie year nonetheless.

I seriously doubt we will see anything close to the FA influx this year. Here's a look at the cap space:

Pats 2022 Cap Space

I'd much rather them spend on D this year. Bentley, High, DMC all need to be replaced. Trent Brown is UFA. We all know the situation with JC Jackson. I am not sure where they will end up, but I think drafting a big lane clogger and signing a vet run stopper are priorities from my GM chair. I just don't see Bill spending to get Adams or Robinson with so many holes to fill.

Bourne has really been a nice addition. Agholor, less so. We'll see how much Mac improves year 2 and if that translates better for Agholor.

I'm genuinely surprised at all the Mac hate today. His mistakes have almost all been mental - late reads or ill-advised throws - typical rookie growing pains. His "weak" arm hasn't lost us games. Don't forget the deep-ball accuracy and touch that he's shown a few times this year (which we all knocked Brady about for a decade).
If Mac works with a top-level QB trainer this off-season (like Tom House) he can improve mechanics and arm strength - but you can't teach brain-power, and thats what he has more than any other rookie QB. He'll be better next year, no question.

I do think he wearing down. Great rookie year nonetheless.
Agreed. I don’t think it is much to get too worried about yet as a lot of rookies hit a rookie wall with an extra month plus worth of games than they had the year prior. With another year in an NFL training program I think he will be more prepared down the stretch. If we still see lacking arm strength this time next year then I will really worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back