PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Ahead of Where Manning Was His Rookie Year

There’s the possibility that this rookie class is just a cataclysmic failure, too. 5 out of 6 at the bottom with only a backup in there. It takes rookies time to learn. This is still very abnormally low. Both of these are true.

1634071429110.png

There’s the possibility that this rookie class is just a cataclysmic failure, too. 5 out of 6 at the bottom with only a backup in there. It takes rookies time to learn. This is still very abnormally low. Both of these are true.

View attachment 36563
5.12 ughh that’s yucky. We have to improve there

fields at 3.05 is LOL but I’m not surprised with Matt Nagy whose one of the worst coaches in pro sports history

Herbert is the type of QB who can succeed in almost any system with his physical tools and decision making. I definitely don't think that is the case with Mac but with that being said Mac is in the perfect system which highlights what he does best (accuracy and he's smart like you mentioned). If Mac is given the time to grow and develop I would be surprised if he isn't at least a top 10 starter in the league for a while but I honestly think Herbert is already in the elite territory and looks to have a significantly better coach than he did his rookie year. For the Chargers I think they will need to continue to draft well and try and get to a super bowl before Herbert is die to get paid because he likely will become the highest paid player in history when time comes.

I think Mac is only going to get better. He certainly doesn’t have the zip on the ball that a Herbert or Allen have. However Brady didn’t have that much either in his early years. That was developed over time with training, practice and exercise. As long as he’s able to stay accurate, break down the defense and learn the protections he’s gonna do well. Adding the man muscle and getting that arm stronger will come

5.12 ughh that’s yucky. We have to improve there

fields at 3.05 is LOL but I’m not surprised with Matt Nagy whose one of the worst coaches in pro sports history
Fields might not be an NFL caliber QB. Pats moving up and probably coughing up a first rounder to get him would be the kind of blunder that might have BB walked toward the exit door.

mcdaniels being a wimp and also deep threat Agholor hasn’t done his job downfield. Once Macs YPA goes up we will start winning more games
How can you blame Agholor if McDaniels isn't letting Jones throw deep?

So it's on Agholor that Jones didn't hit him on that flea flicker when he was wide open for a long TD?

SMH

View attachment 36563
At the bottom of the stat you chose to sort by on the spreadsheet (Adjusted Net Yards/Attempt). that's kind of, you know, disingenuous.

How can you blame Agholor if McDaniels isn't letting Jones throw deep?

So it's on Agholor that Jones didn't hit him on that flea flicker when he was wide open for a long TD?

SMH
So you believe agolor has been getting open deep and Jones either doesn’t see him or is coached not to throw deep?

At the bottom of the stat you chose to sort by on the spreadsheet (Adjusted Net Yards/Attempt). that's kind of, you know, disingenuous.

Hmm, not really. ANY/A is one of the best correlations to quality of play/success on the field as far as I understand it. I don't think he just went through and sorted columns until it fit his biases.

Why is that disengenuous? I’ve used that stat frequently on this site, and I was going to make a note but saw the ANY/A was highlighted anyway. How am I being sneaky if I’m obviously trying to display and rank based on that metric?

I thought it was a well known stat but am glad to provide an explanation.

1634077743990.png

Why do I like it? Look down the list starting from the top. Notice the obvious names there who are MVP candidates? None of these stats are perfect, but try arranging by completion pct., yards, Y/A, or even passer rating and you’ll quickly see how screwy the rankings are for obvious reasons. This stat is a good broad brush.

1634077568303.png

Herbert is the type of QB who can succeed in almost any system with his physical tools and decision making. I definitely don't think that is the case with Mac but with that being said Mac is in the perfect system which highlights what he does best (accuracy and he's smart like you mentioned). If Mac is given the time to grow and develop I would be surprised if he isn't at least a top 10 starter in the league for a while but I honestly think Herbert is already in the elite territory and looks to have a significantly better coach than he did his rookie year. For the Chargers I think they will need to continue to draft well and try and get to a super bowl before Herbert is die to get paid because he likely will become the highest paid player in history when time comes.
Imagine being Miami and passing on Herbert for Too Ah?

All Mac needs are some shifty players. He needs a player like AB, Jules, or a Welker.

Bourne is the closest thing they have to a pure shifty guy right now. Glad they've been getting him more involved recently - would like to see more of that.

Mac didn't push the ball downfield as much, it think

Why is that disengenuous? I’ve used that stat frequently on this site, and I was going to make a note but saw the ANY/A was highlighted anyway. How am I being sneaky if I’m obviously trying to display and rank based on that metric?

I thought it was a well known stat but am glad to provide an explanation.

View attachment 36576

Why do I like it? Look down the list starting from the top. Notice the obvious names there who are MVP candidates? None of these stats are perfect, but try arranging by completion pct., yards, Y/A, or even passer rating and you’ll quickly see how screwy the rankings are for obvious reasons. This stat is a good broad brush.

View attachment 36575
here's a look back... isolated the first five career starts of the top ten on the current leader board, with Mac slotted in... just to frame the reference

tkcex8p.jpg

Last edited:
Folks stop comparing players from 25 years ago to now. Go Compare Mac's rookie season to Justin Huebert or something.

Heck mac beat out a number 1 pick as a rookie. Tom couldn't. Mac's going to be better than TB12.

I think Mac is only going to get better. He certainly doesn’t have the zip on the ball that a Herbert or Allen have. However Brady didn’t have that much either in his early years. That was developed over time with training, practice and exercise. As long as he’s able to stay accurate, break down the defense and learn the protections he’s gonna do well. Adding the man muscle and getting that arm stronger will come
As he starts throwing down field more his completion pct will go down. Its funny though, there is a video of all of Brady's td's in his career, starts with his first and goes to his last, there are some bombs very early on in that video. One to brown for example.

Heck mac beat out a number 1 pick as a rookie. Tom couldn't. Mac's going to be better than TB12.
Umm....Tom did beat out bledsoe...difference here is Cam was getting a bag of balls Bledsoe was getting 100 mil, and he still sat for Brady. If Cam was making 100 mil he would be your QB right now.

Key is year two development. Thats when I think you will start to see the offense open up on a regular basis. McD might have to do that with a few of the upcoming games this year, but right now I think its all about read recognition and keeping form/proper mechanics while getting the ball out quickly...

Umm....Tom did beat out bledsoe...difference here is Cam was getting a bag of balls Bledsoe was getting 100 mil, and he still sat for Brady. If Cam was making 100 mil he would be your QB right now.

Tom definitely didn't beat out Drew as a rookie. Didn't beat him out as a 2nd year player either. Tom was an injury replacement who then took over.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back