PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking forward to Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With Mini-camp wrapping up, I want to say that this is the most excited I've been for training camp..

With Amendola having had 2 surgeries and Edelman having a 2nd, there is a chance (however slight) that both start TC on the PUP. I could even see Amendola starting the season on the PUP much the way I can see Dion Lewis potentially starting there. Giving both the extra time to get into shape and be fully healed for the home stretch of the season.

What has been interesting, so far, that Bennett hasn't caught many passes (5 total in 3 days??) And that is despite Gronk not being there..

IMHO, this is going to be one of the funnest and most exciting TCs the Patriots have had in awhile.

Wide Receiver - Edelman and Amendola are locks. As is Chris Hogan. The issue becomes where Edelman and Amendola start training camp and the season. Malcolm Mitchell is also a lock. So, the question going forward is how many WR will the Pats carry. Will it be 5? Will it be 6? Who will it be?

Keshawn Martin - Picked up at the start of last season, most thought Martin would be a key player in the return game, in both kick returns and punt returns. Martin was the Pats best kick returner with 25.7 YPR, but he only had 10 kick returns. He was the Pats 2nd best punt returner with 11.5 YPR. The problem is that the Pats didn't seem to use him in key situations.. Martin provided marginal support in the passing game. Though he signed an extension, I wouldn't say his position is safe.

Chris Harper - He was the binkie for a lot of people because of his quickness. Unfortunately, he had one bad dropped punt and never seemed to recover. With the talent ahead of him, particularly the addition of Hogan and Mitchell, I see Harper destined for the PS.

DeAndre Carter - An end of the year addition to the Pats Practice squad. He's a tiny guy at 5'8 4/8. The probability of him making the team is probably less than 1% unless he beats out Martin for kick return duties.

Devin Lucien - Lucien was drafted in the 7th round by the Pats. He's got size (6'0 4/8), huge hands (10 1/8), good speed (4.49 - 40, 1.53-10), and good agility (6.93 3-cone). He's got an uphill battle, though, since I can't find that he plays special teams. I consider Lucien a dark-horse.

Nate Washington - Nate Washington made the choice to sign with the Pats partially because of Vince Wilfork. Washington is the outside receiver type that many fans have been wishing the Pats would sign. He's extremely steady and, despite his age (32) , still has plenty left in the tank.

Aaron Dobson - Aaron the enigma. Most people have him gone. I think everyone agrees that Dobson has the talent and skills to be a player in the league. However, he's just not been able to put anything together due to injuries each of the last 3 seasons. Time will tell if this is the year that everything CLICKS for Dobson or he goes the way of Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, etc..

No matter how it turns out, I think this is going to be really exciting to watch..

DE: With Chandler Jones now in Arizona and Ninkovich being groomed (ala Bruschi/Vrabel) for ILB, it will be interesting to see who is there opposite Sheard. Long, Flowers, Grissom, Johnson and McClellin.

CB: Butler and Ryan are the top 2. Cyrus Jones figures to be the "STAR". You've got Coleman, Roberts, Jonathon Jones, Biggers, Vereen, LeBlanc, and Bentley fighting for 2-3 spots behind the other 3.

Safety: McCourty, Chung and Harmon are locks. Ebner's status is up in the air as he tries out for the US National Rugby team. I think that Grugier-Hill, though he's listed as a LB) has the size and ability to be the type of safety we've not seen since Rodney Harrison.

Special Teams: Slater is the man here. The Pats brought in some college standouts in Grugier-Hill, LeBlanc, and Bentley. Brandon King is also a lock because of his play here. It remains to be seen if he becomes Slater's heir apparent as a special teams only guy or if he brings more to the table.
Kick Returner and Punt Returner will be battles, especially with the status of Edelman and Amendola up in the air.

O-line: Probably the biggest disappointment last season due to the number of injuries they suffered. All but one of their O-linemen were injured at one point or another. They've brought in a bunch of talent and brought bank Dante. If anyone can turn them around and do so quickly, it's Dante. To me, Stork, Vollmer, Solder, Andrews and Thuney are locks. I believe that Mason, Cooper, and Waddle are near locks. Jackson's status is up in the air and he could start on the PUP. Karras, Cannon, Kline, Milton, Fleming, and Barker will be fighting for the last 2 spots.

We're going to see Andrews and Stork battle it out for the starting center position. Mason, Cooper, Thuney, and whomever else will be battling for the starting guard spots.

Waddle, imho, has the inside track on being the team's #3 tackle due to Cannon's poor play last year and his salary cap figure. Milton and Fleming are long shots. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats make a trade for another OT or be scouring the wire for someone to put on the practice squad..

Running Back: Dion Lewis and LeGarrette Blount are both coming back off some pretty serious injuries. I've stated that I wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis start off the season on the PUP just to make sure they have him for the stretch run. Blount could also start off camp on the PUP due to his hip surgery.

James White performed very well in the pass game. The running game, not so much. But how much of that is attributed to him and how much of it is attributed to the poor line play?

The Pats brought in veteran Donald Brown who can run and catch out of the backfield. They also brought in DJ Foster who seems to be the binkie of a lot of people. And with good reason. The kid was electric in college in open space and could provide them with special teams play as well.

They still have Brandon Bolden. Bolden, had great numbers with Dante as the O-line coach. Bolden's numbers plummeted to garbage with Gugs..Maybe it's something. Maybe it's nothing. Bolden does provide a presence on special teams and I believe that's the only thing that's kept him around. But that could change this year with the guys the Pats have brought in.

Like I said, it's gonna be fun and exciting..

Last edited:
Thank you for the roundup, there are some genuinely unpredictable positions this year -- mostly in a good way.

One correction, though...I think you've merged 2015 draftees Jordan Richards and Darryl Roberts into one guy. Swapping in Roberts at CB and moving Richards over to the safety roster, the competition at safety looks a lot tighter.

Great breakdown but I think for me 07 and 08 were at the time more exciting TC. Moss' first year obviously his hammy tempered that quick before the explosion in the regular season. But man was I anticipating that year. Same can be said for the following year.

The first camps of CD and Revis are up there too but the 2TE duo this year is somewhere in the conversation.

I'll be at the practices as much as possible...look for mustachioed roly poly guy handing out free "Let's Kick Roger In The Shins!" T's to all the girls and boys under the age of 12.

I'm also planning (early stages) to have a mini-bat day for all fans OVER 12 with "Step Up To The Plate!" and a decal of Roger's face emblazoned on the head. After all, it'll still be baseball season, right?

With Mini-camp wrapping up, I want to say that this is the most excited I've been for training camp..

With Amendola having had 2 surgeries and Edelman having a 2nd, there is a chance (however slight) that both start TC on the PUP. I could even see Amendola starting the season on the PUP much the way I can see Dion Lewis potentially starting there. Giving both the extra time to get into shape and be fully healed for the home stretch of the season.

What has been interesting, so far, that Bennett hasn't caught many passes (2 total in 3 days??) And that is despite Gronk not being there..

IMHO, this is going to be one of the funnest and most exciting TCs the Patriots have had in awhile.

Wide Receiver - Edelman and Amendola are locks. As is Chris Hogan. The issue becomes where Edelman and Amendola start training camp and the season. Malcolm Mitchell is also a lock. So, the question going forward is how many WR will the Pats carry. Will it be 5? Will it be 6? Who will it be?

Keshawn Martin - Picked up at the start of last season, most thought Martin would be a key player in the return game, in both kick returns and punt returns. Martin was the Pats best kick returner with 25.7 YPR, but he only had 10 kick returns. He was the Pats 2nd best punt returner with 11.5 YPR. The problem is that the Pats didn't seem to use him in key situations.. Martin provided marginal support in the passing game. Though he signed an extension, I wouldn't say his position is safe.

Chris Harper - He was the binkie for a lot of people because of his quickness. Unfortunately, he had one bad dropped punt and never seemed to recover. With the talent ahead of him, particularly the addition of Hogan and Mitchell, I see Harper destined for the PS.

DeAndre Carter - An end of the year addition to the Pats Practice squad. He's a tiny guy at 5'8 4/8. The probability of him making the team is probably less than 1% unless he beats out Martin for kick return duties.

Devin Lucien - Lucien was drafted in the 7th round by the Pats. He's got size (6'0 4/8), huge hands (10 1/8), good speed (4.49 - 40, 1.53-10), and good agility (6.93 3-cone). He's got an uphill battle, though, since I can't find that he plays special teams. I consider Lucien a dark-horse.

Nate Washington - Nate Washington made the choice to sign with the Pats partially because of Vince Wilfork. Washington is the outside receiver type that many fans have been wishing the Pats would sign. He's extremely steady and, despite his age (32) , still has plenty left in the tank.

Aaron Dobson - Aaron the enigma. Most people have him gone. I think everyone agrees that Dobson has the talent and skills to be a player in the league. However, he's just not been able to put anything together due to injuries each of the last 3 seasons. Time will tell if this is the year that everything CLICKS for Dobson or he goes the way of Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, etc..

No matter how it turns out, I think this is going to be really exciting to watch..

DE: With Chandler Jones now in Arizona and Ninkovich being groomed (ala Bruschi/Vrabel) for ILB, it will be interesting to see who is there opposite Sheard. Long, Flowers, Grissom, Johnson and McClellin.

CB: Butler and Ryan are the top 2. Cyrus Jones figures to be the "STAR". You've got Coleman, Richards, Jonathon Jones, Biggers, Vereen, LeBlanc, and Bentley fighting for 2-3 spots behind the other 3.

Safety: McCourty, Chung and Harmon are locks. Ebner's status is up in the air as he tries out for the US National Rugby team. I think that Grugier-Hill, though he's listed as a LB) has the size and ability to be the type of safety we've not seen since Rodney Harrison.

Special Teams: Slater is the man here. The Pats brought in some college standouts in Grugier-Hill, LeBlanc, and Bentley. Brandon King is also a lock because of his play here. It remains to be seen if he becomes Slater's heir apparent as a special teams only guy or if he brings more to the table.
Kick Returner and Punt Returner will be battles, especially with the status of Edelman and Amendola up in the air.

O-line: Probably the biggest disappointment last season due to the number of injuries they suffered. All but one of their O-linemen were injured at one point or another. They've brought in a bunch of talent and brought bank Dante. If anyone can turn them around and do so quickly, it's Dante. To me, Stork, Vollmer, Solder, Andrews and Thuney are locks. I believe that Mason, Cooper, and Waddle are near locks. Jackson's status is up in the air and he could start on the PUP. Karras, Cannon, Kline, Milton, Fleming, and Barker will be fighting for the last 2 spots.

We're going to see Andrews and Stork battle it out for the starting center position. Mason, Cooper, Thuney, and whomever else will be battling for the starting guard spots.

Waddle, imho, has the inside track on being the team's #3 tackle due to Cannon's poor play last year and his salary cap figure. Milton and Fleming are long shots. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats make a trade for another OT or be scouring the wire for someone to put on the practice squad..

Running Back: Dion Lewis and LeGarrette Blount are both coming back off some pretty serious injuries. I've stated that I wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis start off the season on the PUP just to make sure they have him for the stretch run. Blount could also start off camp on the PUP due to his hip surgery.

James White performed very well in the pass game. The running game, not so much. But how much of that is attributed to him and how much of it is attributed to the poor line play?

The Pats brought in veteran Donald Brown who can run and catch out of the backfield. They also brought in DJ Foster who seems to be the binkie of a lot of people. And with good reason. The kid was electric in college in open space and could provide them with special teams play as well.

They still have Brandon Bolden. Bolden, had great numbers with Dante as the O-line coach. Bolden's numbers plummeted to garbage with Gugs..Maybe it's something. Maybe it's nothing. Bolden does provide a presence on special teams and I believe that's the only thing that's kept him around. But that could change this year with the guys the Pats have brought in.

Lot of good stuff in there.
A few disagreements to note.

- Ninkovich is a DE and is not being moved to ILB. BB does stuff like this all the time ( McCourty at corner last year). He is getting nink comfortable a bit at a position he is the last resort in the event of a rash of injuries.

- I think it is unreasonable to expect a healthy player to be on PUP so he can sit out 6 games and be healthier at the end of the season. BB has never shown this type of thinking nor should he.

- Andrews is not a lock and is more a player on the bubble. There is no chance he beats out Stork and things will have to break right for a backup who only plays one position to make the team. (Such as the starter at his position being injured which is how he made the squad last year).

I'll be at the practices as much as possible...look for mustachioed roly poly guy handing out free "Let's Kick Roger In The Shins!" T's to all the girls and boys under the age of 12.

I'm also planning (early stages) to have a mini-bat day for all fans OVER 12 with "Step Up To The Plate!" and a decal of Roger's face emblazoned on the head. After all, it'll still be baseball season, right?

I'll take one....I love playing that arcade game, Whack-a-Rog.

Thank you for the roundup, there are some genuinely unpredictable positions this year -- mostly in a good way.

One correction, though...I think you've merged 2015 draftees Jordan Richards and Darryl Roberts into one guy. Swapping in Roberts at CB and moving Richards over to the safety roster, the competition at safety looks a lot tighter.
Corrected..

PM me if you want to carpool some day..

I usually make the pilgrimage three times.. once with friends on the "grassy knoll"..

The other two times by myself, in the aluminum frying pan.. enjoy it all, the aluminum bleachers are enjoyable as I usually get the opportunity to share some knowledge and binoculars with a young fan..

Lot of good stuff in there.
A few disagreements to note.

- Ninkovich is a DE and is not being moved to ILB. BB does stuff like this all the time ( McCourty at corner last year). He is getting nink comfortable a bit at a position he is the last resort in the event of a rash of injuries.

- I think it is unreasonable to expect a healthy player to be on PUP so he can sit out 6 games and be healthier at the end of the season. BB has never shown this type of thinking nor should he.

- Andrews is not a lock and is more a player on the bubble. There is no chance he beats out Stork and things will have to break right for a backup who only plays one position to make the team. (Such as the starter at his position being injured which is how he made the squad last year).

Andrews definitely has more than "no chance" at the starting job. Maybe it was injuries, but 2015 Stork was garbage.

Great thread, DaB. Only thing is...

What has been interesting, so far, that Bennett hasn't caught many passes (2 total in 3 days??) And that is despite Gronk not being there..

Bennett actually caught 5 passes in one day of minicamp(Day 2). The thing was he went out later that day to get looked at about his left knee, then returned to catch a Brady pass. I think he'll be fine.

Great thread, DaB. Only thing is...

Bennett actually caught 5 passes in one day of minicamp(Day 2). The thing was he went out later that day to get looked at about his left knee, then returned to catch a Brady pass. I think he'll be fine.

Corrected.. Thought it was only two that day..

Really good write up!!!! I'm looking forward to our O-line competition as well as the battle for our #5 receiver spot. Going to be a very interesting camp!!!!

What has been interesting, so far, that Bennett hasn't caught many passes (5 total in 3 days??) And that is despite Gronk not being there..

CB: Butler and Ryan are the top 2. Cyrus Jones figures to be the "STAR". You've got Coleman, Roberts, Jonathon Jones, Biggers, Vereen, LeBlanc, and Bentley fighting for 2-3 spots behind the other 3.

Great post but I have to enjoy the summer first. Football means winter is coming, I don't need that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back