PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi: New Orleans was trying to get above New England to get Mac Jones

That’s a big move up, from 28, would have had to pay a lot to get Jones. Would’ve had to have move up 14 slots. I guess SF wasn’t the only team high on Jones. Jones is getting a lot of negativity from the mediots, I kinda like it. Give him reasons to prove them wrong, besides the joy of winning.

That being said, Lombardi is wrong a lot, so he might be wrong about this. Just because they tried to trade up to get a CB, doesn’t mean they wanted to trade up for Jones.

Here was my honest thought process....

TV: The Minnesota Vikings have traded pick #14....
Me: We just lost Mac Jones
TV: .... to the NY Jets
Me: We are getting Mac Jones

Considering what the Bears had to pay the Giants for the pick for Fields it seemed like there was some sort of bidding war going on for that pick, it could have been NO trying to get Jones. The Dallas pick earlier in the round wen't for peanuts in comparison.

New Orleans was picking 28...little chance Minnesota was going to trade with them unless they gave up a boatload

Here was my honest thought process....

TV: The Minnesota Vikings have traded pick #14....
Me: We just lost Mac Jones
TV: .... to the NY Jets
Me: We are getting Mac Jones
Same except then I realized it was the JETE so they might pick another QB

From the podcast:
  • NO wanted to get into the top 10 to take a CB but did not have the draft capital to do so
  • Sources on two different teams told Lombardi that then they were trying to get above 15 to take Mac Jones
  • NO had a shot at MIN's pick but the offer by NYJ was better than what NO could offer
  • MIN's pick was the only one in play between 10 and 15
  • Thus, NO had 'no' shot, lol!
So da Jete did us a favor, their trade up with MIN to take an OL meant that NO could not trade up and take Mac Jones ahead of us.

Lombardi says we now know Sean Payton, BB/Josh and Kyle Shanahan all had strong evaluations on Mac Jones, and these are some of the best QB evaluators in the league, so we should be glad we now have Mac Jones.

From the podcast:
  • NO wanted to get into the top 10 to take a CB but did not have the draft capital to do so
  • Sources on two different teams told Lombardi that then they were trying to get above 15 to take Mac Jones
  • NO had a shot at MIN's pick but the offer by NYJ was better than what NO could offer
  • MIN's pick was the only one in play between 10 and 15
  • Thus, NO had 'no' shot, lol!
So da Jete did us a favor, their trade up with MIN to take an OL meant that NO could not trade up and take Mac Jones ahead of us.

Lombardi says we now know Sean Payton, BB/Josh and Kyle Shanahan all had strong evaluations on Mac Jones, and these are some of the best QB evaluators in the league, so we should be glad we now have Mac Jones.
Jones fits what the saints do, so he would have been a good pick for them, but no way they could have moved up.

Jealousy is an ugly reaction, little person. One day you’ll tell your kids you knew a great prognosticator.
when-the-hell-freezes-over_o_6401349.webp

when-hell-freezes-over.jpg

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents