PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions Sign Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree about the cap room. We are in absolute great condition in terms cap space and future commitments and could sign whoever we want.

That being said I completely agree about Humphries. People need to start getting to grips that the cap is at 188m. So 8-10 is not a crazy amount of money for a productive receiver.

Question with Humphries is whether he can be better than his current production or if that's all she wrote. I don't see anything special, but other people seem to like him.

Question with Humphries is whether he can be better than his current production or if that's all she wrote. I don't see anything special, but other people seem to like him.

As inconsistent as they seem to be with WRs in general I think they have been nailing "slot" / MOF kinda guys pretty much.

If they give him a contract around that level I expect them to have a plan.

Your post makes it clear that, indeed, the free agent thing needs to be explained.

I've never mentioned free agency, so I don't know why you brought this up. I am talking about the reporting. Even in free agency if you mislead your customer base, it is bad business.

Here's what I think happened:

Amendola was cut, and about five seconds later the reporter was on the phone to him and Danny said, "sure I would like to come back."

Then after working the story and the team for a couple of days, someone inside the Pats (who even knows) leaked to him, "yes we're interested" because what the heck. There is nothing to lose.

There was no problem going with the first tweet, but the second one gives his followers the idea there was mutual interest, when in fact there was never any mutual interest. If the reporter tried find out what teams were saying Danny was going to be offered, the reporter would have known there was nothing to report.The reporter should have checked with Danny's camp and at least reported the response, before going with the second tweet and misleading his readers. At 10:30 PM the pats surely were out, if they were even in beyond a minimum deal anyway.

This isn't the way it works with the good reporters. Some might get duped, but this was weak sloppy reporting. That was never ok in any era.

It's said Humpries is a Great Route runner who's numbers could have been better if he had consistent QB's. That said Slot WR's like him can be found via the Draft. I would let somebody else play him.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Yup, not surprised....Amendola will be making close to 5M in Detroit....we wouldn't have given him close to that, IMO. Danny will be cashing out for another season...can't blame him. He'll be effective in Detroit and see a lot of snaps, IMO...Tate was playing a lot in the slot last year...so there are snaps in Detroit.

This isn't the way it works with the good reporters. Some might get duped, but this was weak sloppy reporting. That was never ok in any era.

You are aware that this is not a monogamous situation right ? He (and 31 other teams) can say the exact same thing "there is mutual interest". But none of this means **** if someone shows up and blows all other bidders out of the water.

Looks like the Pats will need to look to the draft for an upgrade at WR. I like Amendola. But not at 5 million/season.

Amendola has decided that he'd rather make $4.5m to $5.75m in Detroit for a year than make what would likely be far less in New England. And, given the stage of his career, along with the way the Patriots nickel and dimed him, it's probably the wise decision.

Except for it meaning that he'll have to spend a year living in Detroit.
The Lions are throwing this fixer/upper in with the deal.

I think the Lions are throwing this fixer/upper in with the deal.

GM:
I know other teams have offered you 3 years, 9 million. We're willing to offer you 3 years, 9.7 million.

Player:
Sounds good, as long as you throw in another million for the "Poor bastard has to live in Detroit" incentive.

F*ck off, Patricia.

I never really believed Danny had much bad blood with New England and his comments after signing in Miami were overblown but this tweet makes me think otherwise (him liking it I would assume is confirmation)

I never really believed Danny had much bad blood with New England and his comments after signing in Miami were overblown but this tweet makes me think otherwise (him liking it I would assume is confirmation)

Not sure I would read that much into it. After all, DA had nothing to do with that team and maybe he just appreciates football history.

Not sure I would read that much into it. After all, DA had nothing to do with that team and maybe he just appreciates football history.
I don’t know seems weird to me that he would buy a round of drinks for a guy with an Eagles Super Bowl tattoo. Who knows? Maybe I am reading into it too much.

I don’t know seems weird to me that he would buy a round of drinks for a guy with an Eagles Super Bowl tattoo. Who knows? Maybe I am reading into it too much.

Ehh I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Reach ..... and who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back