PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebacker - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everson Griffen, Rickey Sapp, Carlos Dunlap. Those are some of the few guys who roughly fit the height/speed requirements that BB is asking from an OLB.

Everson Griffen, Rickey Sapp, Carlos Dunlap. Those are some of the few guys who roughly fit the height/speed requirements that BB is asking from an OLB.

I'll pass on the first two.

I'm coming round to Kindle, he had a nice workout on Monday, and he's very well built, still concerned with his play against the run though.

Later than that, there's Austen Lane, Jason Worilds, Hall Davis, Jermaine Cunningham, Koa Misi, Adrian Tracy......

I'm hoping we go for talent over measureables right now though.

Boston Herald: Rap Sheet - Greg Hardy At OLB

He said at the Combine that he’s looking to play linebacker in the 3-4, which is why he’s dropping his weight down to about 270. He added that health-wise, his foot and wrist are fine.

I've always loved this guy's abilities and have long wanted him as an OLB for our 3-4. I know there are some risks/issues that come with him, but he is a top 10 talent who can be had in the 2nd/3rd round. I'll take my chances.

Last edited:
It seems like Hardy is a player who can be as good as he wants to be.

I just rewatched the East-West Shrine bowl and Hardy is still a beast. I want the Pats to draft him so bad.

Me too. And now with him saying that he wants to play OLB, it gets me even more excited. He has cost himself a ton of money; he should've left after the 08-09 season. He was a consensus top 10 pick going into this year and probably would have gone in the first round last year.

To be able to get a talent like him in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round is the definition of great value. He's been compared to guys like Peppers and Ray Edwards, which is exactly what we need. I really hope the Pats draft him! :rocker:

You guys that like Hardy clicked on that "Read all about it here in this crazy story" link in the Herald article right? This kid is in for a rude awakening once he gets to his first nfl team activity. Maybe if the light goes on he may be great but that's a big if. He may make someone look like a genius or they will be getting called a moron on a message board 3 years from now when people are arguing for 20 pages about how their team blew the team's 2010 2nd round pick.

Kao Misi...

Live Pro-Day Results 3/9: Oklahoma, Indiana, Fordham and more!

Several people are comparing Kao Misi’s position workout yesterday to the performance turned in by Clay Matthews one year ago. That performance helped Matthews jump into the middle of the first round. And while that may be a bit excessive for Misi, don’t discount him in the late part of the first frame.
---

I've had Misi in round two as one of a few DE/OLB options, and that's where I'll keep him unless there's a shift in consensus. Although if Belichick is targeting him, late risers have to be considered when managing the Pats draft board.

Re: Kao Misi...

Live Pro-Day Results 3/9: Oklahoma, Indiana, Fordham and more!

---

I've had Misi in round two as one of a few DE/OLB options, and that's where I'll keep him unless there's a shift in consensus. Although if Belichick is targeting him, late risers have to be considered when managing the Pats draft board.

Mayo was a late riser. He went from being late 1st/early 2nd to a top 10 pick. BB must have loved his film.

Pats have their own scouting department, so don't be surprised if BB don't rate some kids the way other NFL teams do.

Re: Kao Misi...

I just hope we draft OLB for the love of God! We have used one high pick on an OLB in BB's reign and that was on Crable who hasn't played a down! We never adequately replaced Phifer, Colvin, Mcginest, and Vrabel.

The current depth chart at OLB is TBC - Thomas - Woods - Ninkovich. This unit is so weak! Even if we bring back Burgess we are really old at this spot and the younger guys dont have talent (Woods) or are unproven (Ninkovich).

I really hope we just take a chance on someone this year.

I would be shocked - shocked, I say - if Bill doesn't finally draft a Pass-Rusher (& a WR) with one of our first 4 picks. The disgraceful loss at home vs. the Murderers (allegedly) seems to have made a lasting impression on Kraft, at least. Perhaps Bill has received the message, too.

bump
10 chars

Rebels' Dexter McCluster turns on speed for NFL scouts The Commercial Appeal
Ole Miss defensive end Greg Hardy of Briarcrest, one of the best sack artists (261/2 in 40 games) in Ole Miss history when he was healthy, ran the 40 in 4.65 seconds and showed much agility for someone who is 6-5 and weighs 277 pounds.

Hardy said despite the injury problems he has had in his career -- broken foot, sprained ankle, broken wrist -- most of the questions he has been asked by NFL teams have been about his attitude, which until last season had been suspect.

"It's all been about character issues, letting teams get to know me, showing them I'm a good guy," Hardy said. "I'm showing them I'm a hard worker and a good guy."
I know everyone here hates him but he's one of the few OLB/DEs in this draft that has the measurables BB likes. And he's actually a polished pass rusher, unlike Kindle and Griffen. I think he'd be a big-time playmaker in the Pats defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST