PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lifelong Panthers fan AMA (ask me anything) Cam Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno about all of you but I'm pretty excited to have 31 year old right handed black Steve Young 2.0 after our Joe Brady Montana run

To add, Steve Young didn't regularly start for the 49ers until 1991. He was 30 years old !!!

Last edited:
To add, Steve Young didn't start for the 49ers until 1991. He was 30 years old !!!

Young started 14 games for Tampa Bay in 1986 at age 25.

Regardless, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison and Cam's not in the same zipcode with Steve Young by any measure.

Further to your age observation, in his first 6-seasons Young started 29 games....Cam started 93. On a risk-adjusted basis the comparable numbers would along the lines of 15 and 150 respectively. At age 30 Young was a low mileage cream-puff...Cam's pretty much the opposite.

I'm pulling for Cam to do well but the idea that over the next 6-8 years he's going to do anything approaching what Young did after age 30 is a looooooong shot.

All that said, that's why they play the games....maybe Cam will surprise to the upside!

Young started 14 games for Tampa Bay in 1986 at age 25.

Regardless, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison and Cam's not in the same zipcode with Steve Young by any measure.

Further to your age observation, in his first 6-seasons Young started 29 games....Cam started 93. On a risk-adjusted basis the comparable numbers would along the lines of 15 and 150 respectively. At age 30 Young was a low mileage cream-puff...Cam's pretty much the opposite.

I'm pulling for Cam to do well but the idea that over the next 6-8 years he's going to do anything approaching what Young did after age 30 is a looooooong shot.

All that said, that's why they play the games....maybe Cam will surprise to the upside!

You're right it's not apples to apples. By age 31 Cam was already a former NFL MVP, QB starter on a 15-1 Superbowl team, former #1 pick, and former Heisman winner.

I mean, I don’t want to get into this because I’m sure it’s been discussed ad nauseam here, but are we pretending that spy gate didn’t happen.

Is this that which we do not discuss? Lol
Oh boy. You were doing so well before.

I'm glad you brought up the completion percentage stat because it's what everyone who hasn't watched Cam closely points to as a "he's not accurate!" argument. The fact is Cam can be absolutely deadly from the pocket and for stretches of his career he's proven that.

So what's with the sub-60% completion percentage? I think the answer lies with the type of offense Cam was asked to run for the majority of his career, and who he was throwing to. For one, when Cam came into the league the Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski designed an offense unlike any the NFL had seen. I'm talking heavy read-option with lots of shots downfield. Lots of stuff outside the hash marks and lots of deep throws. This was a high risk high reward offense.

After Cam exploded onto the scene in that offense, Chud was offered the head coaching job with the Browns, and you probably know how that turned out. So after Chud the Panthers promoted Cam's QB coach Mike Shula to OC. You may know Mike Shula because of his last name, which imo is the reason he's anywhere even close to an NFL field. Shula's offense had Cam consistently throwing downfield into very tight windows, again in that high risk-high reward style offense. In addition to the style of offense that leads to less completions, the Panthers did no favors in putting talented WR's around Cam, to say the absolute least. In 2016 Matt Harmon on nfl.com ran the next gen stats and showed Cam threw into small windows more than any other QB in the league, and his WR's had the least amount of separation than any QB. It's hard to imagine a worse crop of WRs that a franchise could put around a star QB for a career. Outside of Steve Smith who was already on the team before Cam's arrival, the Panthers never had a true #1 WR. Imagine that. Hell in 2015 ,Cam lead the Panthers to a 17-1 regular season record with Ted Ginn and Philly Brown as his WR1 WR2. Just unreal.

So then the Panthers FINALLY fire Mike Shula and bring in Norv Turner who goes, wait a minute, why are you making it so damn hard on your quarterback, and he implements a system that enables Cam to get the ball out quickly and to let his teammates carry at least some of the burden. This is not even mentioning how god awful some of Carolina's offensive lines have been for the past ten years, but that's another story.

All that to say, the completion percentage being thrown out as proof that Cam is an inaccurate passer is just laziness and ignoring the context behind what was really happening on the field.
Thank you! Why the hell can’t people comprehend this?! He played in a different style of offense his last 2 years in CAR. Cam was and can be an accurate passer WITHOUT his legs; of course the threat of the run makes 3rd down more manageable, thus helps improve his completion percentage. People seem to be stuck in 2011-2016 with their arguments against Cam, which is fair to a degree, but 2017-18 in CAR is far more of an accurate measure as to how Cam should translate to NE. 67% completion percentage. It’s almost as if people choose not to believe it. He can be deadly on short/intermediate throws. It’s really not at all about ability, but health. Simple as that.

thanks!

You're right it's not apples to apples. By age 31 Cam was already a former NFL MVP, QB starter on a 15-1 Superbowl team, former #1 pick, and former Heisman winner.

3 winning records in 8-seasons.

Only 7-total playoff games with a 3-4 record. Would have been only 5-total playoff games had Panthers not made playoffs with a 7-8-1 record in 2014! (remember the year Pat's missed playoffs with 11-5 record?!?)

7-wins or fewer in 5-of-8 seasons.

Never had back-to-back winning seasons.

As for where a player was picked or what sort of popularity awards they got in college, who cares?

Certainly not Tom Brady!

Again, I am pulling for Cam to do well but the narrative generated by a single season which by all counts appears to be an outlier is, well, let's just say it's over-the-top at a minimum.

You can probably hit a half-court shot but would be foolish bet on doing so...

I hope Cam proves me wrong.

PS...I have more examples on the other one if you need them, lemme know.

I dunno about all of you but I'm pretty excited to have 31 year old right handed black Steve Young 2.0 after our Joe Brady Montana run

Did you seriously just compare newton to Steve young :eek:

To be clear, it did happen. There were no competitive advantages gained, however.
He said the patriots taped panthers practices leading up to the SB. Why would you say that did happen????

He said the patriots taped panthers practices leading up to the SB. Why would you say that did happen????

He said "Spygate" in the post I saw. The fact that those two things are conflated is a different discussion entirely.

That was Then; this is Now.

The question remains, will we be seeing the Cam Newton of Then, now?

Last edited:
He said "Spygate" in the post I saw. The fact that those two things are conflated is a different discussion entirely.
That from someone who knows a little football. Sheesh. Next up --- ball deflation explains our last 3 sb wins!!

To be clear, it did happen. There were no competitive advantages gained, however.
No competitive advantage gained for the game currently being played during taping...and that was (correctly) Bill's entire point...

3 winning records in 8-seasons.

Only 7-total playoff games with a 3-4 record. Would have been only 5-total playoff games had Panthers not made playoffs with a 7-8-1 record in 2014! (remember the year Pat's missed playoffs with 11-5 record?!?)

7-wins or fewer in 5-of-8 seasons.

Never had back-to-back winning seasons.

As for where a player was picked or what sort of popularity awards they got in college, who cares?

Certainly not Tom Brady!

Again, I am pulling for Cam to do well but the narrative generated by a single season which by all counts appears to be an outlier is, well, let's just say it's over-the-top at a minimum.

You can probably hit a half-court shot but would be foolish bet on doing so...

I hope Cam proves me wrong.

PS...I have more examples on the other one if you need them, lemme know.

Wins are a team stat.

Any objective person who has paid attention to Carolina for the last decade knows Cam Newton was the only thing keep them from total irrelevance.

Thank you! Why the hell can’t people comprehend this?! He played in a different style of offense his last 2 years in CAR. Cam was and can be an accurate passer WITHOUT his legs; of course the threat of the run makes 3rd down more manageable, thus helps improve his completion percentage. People seem to be stuck in 2011-2016 with their arguments against Cam, which is fair to a degree, but 2017-18 in CAR is far more of an accurate measure as to how Cam should translate to NE. 67% completion percentage. It’s almost as if people choose not to believe it. He can be deadly on short/intermediate throws. It’s really not at all about ability, but health. Simple as that.

I think everyone comprehends it. You can call it health or ability, or vice versa. Does Cam have the ability to comprehend and implement the Pats offense, and is his shoulder healthy enough to have the same accuracy? Two valid questions. All of the hype videos in the world will not show if his accuracy has been affected, if his shoulder will hold up, and if he will comprehend the Pats offense - but people seem to be swayed by the videos. We have to wait and see. I hope it all works out well for Cam and he received a large contract from the Pats or others.

That was his claim.

Wins are a team stat.

Any objective person who has paid attention to Carolina for the last decade knows Cam Newton was the only thing keep them from total irrelevance.
Defense, running game, ol.
They had 3 winning seasons under newton.
In those 3 the defense was ranked 2,6,7 in yards and 2,6,11 in points.
The running offense was ranked 11,2,4
The passing Offense was ranked 29,24,28

The one consisting dynamic is when they had a good defense they were good and when they didn’t they stunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents