PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Letter to Patriots Hall of Fame Selection Committee on Julius Adams

Here is the list of the Committee Members. Not sure if this will help as they may have already had their nomination meeting, but here is some contact info. From my experience Chris Price and Mike Reiss are the two most likely to respond, and most open to suggestions - so anybody that cares to lobby for Julius Adams may want to start there. I'll attempt to fill in the blanks when I have more time.

Chris Price:
Boston Globe
Twitter: @cpriceglobe | Email: [email protected]

Mike Reiss:
ESPN
Twitter: @MikeReiss | Email:

Joe Amorosino:
WHDH Channel 7
Twitter: @joeamorosino | Email:

Ernie Adams:
Football staff
?

Ron Borges:
Formerly of the Boston Herald and Boston Globe
Twitter: @RonBorges | Email:

Bill Burt:
Lawrence Eagle Tribune
Twitter: @BurtTalksSports | Email:

Steve Burton:
WBZ Channel 4
Twitter: @STEVEBURTONWBZ

Marc Cappello:
98.5 The Sports Hub
Twitter: @Pats_Radio

Tom Curran:
NBC Sports Boston
Twitter: @tomecurran

Jim Donaldson:
Retired from the Providence Journal
Twitter: @JimDonaldsonJr

Mark Farinella:
Retired from the Attleboro Sun Chronicle
Twitter: @FarinellaMark

Glen Farley:
Retired from the Brockton Enterprise
?

Karen Guregian:
Boston Herald
Twitter: @kguregian | Email: [email protected]

John Hendry:
Patriots game day statistics
?

Ron Hobson:
Retired from the Quincy Patriot Ledger
?

Fred Kirsch:
Patriots Football Network
Twitter: @Fred_Kirsch | Email: [email protected]

Mike Lynch:
WCVB Channel 5
Twitter: @LynchieWCVB

Jim McBride:
Boston Globe
Twitter: @globejimmcbride | Email: [email protected]

Bryan Morry:
The Patriots Hall of Fame presented by Raytheon Technologies
Twitter: @BryanMorry

Paul Perillo:
Patriots Football Network
Twitter: @pfwpaul

Phil Perry:
NBCSports Boston
Twitter: @PhilAPerry

John Rooke:
PA Announcer
Twitter: @JRbroadcaster

Matt Smith:
Kraft Sports and Entertainment
?

Bob Socci:
Radio play-by-play
Twitter: @BobSocci

Butch Stearns:
WFXT
Twitter: @ButchStearns

Andre Tippett:
Patriots Hall of Famer
Twitter: @AndreTippett

Howard Ulman:
Retired from the Associated Press
Twitter (seldom used): @hbulman
My first inclination is the brains on the list are Adams, Borges, Guregian, Lynch and Tippett.

McBride and Burton oughta be.

My first inclination is the brains on the list are Adams, Borges, Guregian, Lynch and Tippett.

McBride and Burton oughta be.
Chris Price is a guy that has come across to me as one that is very open to Pats/sports history, even though it happened before he saw it first hand.

Borges is a guy that has been around for a long time, but I just don't know if we can put our faith in him to carry the torch.

Perhaps focusing on the retired writers is the best tactic; problem is, I don't know how to quickly contact them.

Chris Price is a guy that has come across to me as one that is very open to Pats/sports history, even though it happened before he saw it first hand.

Borges is a guy that has been around for a long time, but I just don't know if we can put our faith in him to carry the torch.

Perhaps focusing on the retired writers is the best tactic; problem is, I don't know how to quickly contact them.
Would it be worth contacting the Patriots? Maybe Stacy James? Ask them for the contact information for the NE HoF Committee?

Would it be worth contacting the Patriots? Maybe Stacy James? Ask them for the contact information for the NE HoF Committee?
Good question.

While Stacey James does not have a voice in the nomination process, his stature as VP of Media Relations could conceivably have an effect. Our biggest problem is that there are so few days remaining to make our case to the committee members.

Those with a vote have been partial to Parcells in the past, which to me would be an abomination over Adams.

Good question.

While Stacey James does not have a voice in the nomination process, his stature as VP of Media Relations could conceivably have an effect. Our biggest problem is that there are so few days remaining to make our case to the committee members.

Those with a vote have been partial to Parcells in the past, which to me would be an abomination over Adams.
Maybe he would pass along what ever you have to the committee members?

I've got major surgery Friday morning so if I start posting afterwards about how I like and accept the flying elvis you'll know I didn't make it out of there with my marbles.
Well I'm experiencing most or all of the possible side effects of what turned out to be the double jaw surgery last Friday-Saturday. Had a blood clot hemorrhage that night and a way-too-small helmet brace in the ICU afterward. Got a pretty good bump on my head, and can't help thinking it was a Nordberg-type gurney mishap à la Naked Gun. They messed up the IV and my back's not in good shape. Not complaining, though!!

I also sustained a punctured lung, separated shoulder, broken rib and a broken nose but still played against the Black Hawks in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Okay that was Patrice Bergeron.

Anyway Sunday I told Mrs. APF I look like Bubba from Forest Gump (it's true). They took the bandages off my face this morning, and now I feel [and sound] like Vito Corleone. ("What did I ever do to be treated with such disrespect?"- I think the Godfather stole that line from Pat Patriot)

I'm...anticipating? Or maybe dreading...the announcement from the Patriots of the 2021 Hall nominees.

Good question.

Well. His 'exclusivity?' Right. It's not like there's a backlog of at least 2 players and a coach from the sixties, four players and a coach from the seventies who belong in any legitimate Patriots' Hall - Oh. Wait. Did Leon Gray's belated induction impinge upon the ceremony, or enhance it? This decision erases one more precious irreplaceable year of an opportunity to appropriately honor heroes from the Patriots' history who are more deserving of recognition than ANYBODY not named Tom Brady after 1989. No, Bruschi, Faulk, Harrison, Light and McGinest should not have been in before any of the neglected/ignored from the team's first three decades.

Last edited:
Maybe he would pass along what ever you have to the committee members?
Patriots' Owner Robert Kraft Suffers Severe Head Trauma

Foxborough, MA (AP) April 25, 2021 -New England Patriots' owner Robert Kraft suffered an apparent blow to the head when he experienced a fall in his home yesterday, according to a team press release.

No official diagnosis from medical personnel is available, however it is apparent that the 79 year old has literally had the tone-deafness associated with a myriad of problems haunting the franchise for decades "knocked out of him".

First, the Patriots notified the National Football League this morning that they are restoring their team logo, helmets and uniforms to those used in their best season prior to his purchase, 1976, when they established themselves as legitimate contenders in the modern era of professional football, which were last seen in 1983.

Second, the Patriots' Hall of Fame announced that in 2022, there will be a total of ten new inductees - six players and three coaches, all only eligible if they served prior to 1993; and one from the traditional annual nomination process who will be voted in by the fans from among three finalists.

A potential loophole was avoided when it was stipulated that a nominee must have served at least three seasons in the specified time period; this was created with the specific intent to prevent committee members from nominating Bill Parcells solely based on his one season as an assistant in 1980.

Finally, the team is suing Commissioner Roger Goodell and the NFL for fraud, violation of civil rights, racketeering and criminal conspiracy over three supposed scandals in which the team was fined and punished more severely than any in sports history: "CryGate", "DefameGate", and "MediaProductionCrewWithNothingToDoWithFootballOperationsGate", which all included the docking of top draft picks.

Kraft is reported to be in good condition, recovering at his home, and is said to be in cheerful spirits. "I haven't seen him this coherent - I mean, happy - in a very long time," one long time team administrator was quoted as saying.

From what Mike Reiss is saying in his responses, the Patriots had promised Seymour an exclusive day (which he would have had last year), so perhaps there will be two (regular/senior) for 2022.

Look at the bright side: that gives us twelve months to convince the committee to get Julius Adams name on the 2022 ballot, or to amend the senior committee rules that exclude anybody from consideration that has not previously been on the regular ballot.

heaFrom what Mike Reiss is saying in his responses, the Patriots had promised Seymour an exclusive day (which he would have had last year), so perhaps there will be two (regular/senior) for 2022.

Look at the bright side: that gives us twelve months to convince the committee to get Julius Adams name on the 2022 ballot, or to amend the senior committee rules that exclude anybody from consideration that has not previously been on the regular ballot.

Eisenhauer, Whalen, Tatupu, Adams, Stingley, Holovak and Fairbanks passed away. Chuck is the only one of them who currently qualifies as a veteran because he made the ballot once. Ron Burton and Fred Marion also made it on there once, but neither of them is as worthy as the others.

That leaves only Russ Francis from the 70's still here to experience the honor non-posthumously, if still belatedly. In my mind, this adds a genuine urgency to the consideration. He was one of the major stars without which we would simply not have competed, he's definitely better than Casper and I might take him over Gronk. Adams is by far the most glaring omission, but only we and his family are left to appreciate and experience the honor and recognition.

The way these things go, somebody gets hyped or exalted at just the right time or in just the right way just before the committee convenes, and they get nominated. There is no way Bruschi, Faulk, Harrison, Light or McGinest belong ahead of these older guys.

And next year these players become eligible: Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins, Wes Welker and Lawyer Milloy, who all have impressive résumés with the Pats. No I wouldn't induct any of them ahead of the old guys.

Eisenhauer, Whalen, Tatupu, Adams, Stingley, Holovak and Fairbanks passed away. Chuck is the only one of them who currently qualifies as a veteran because he made the ballot once. Ron Burton and Fred Marion also made it on there once, but neither of them is as worthy as the others.

That leaves only Russ Francis from the 70's still here to experience the honor non-posthumously, if still belatedly. In my mind, this adds a genuine urgency to the consideration. He was one of the major stars without which we would simply not have competed, he's definitely better than Casper and I might take him over Gronk. Adams is by far the most glaring omission, but only we and his family are left to appreciate and experience the honor and recognition.

The way these things go, somebody gets hyped or exalted at just the right time or in just the right way just before the committee convenes, and they get nominated. There is no way Bruschi, Faulk, Harrison, Light or McGinest belong ahead of these older guys.

And next year these players become eligible: Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins, Wes Welker and Lawyer Milloy, who all have impressive résumés with the Pats. No I wouldn't induct any of them ahead of the old guys.
The committee failed by waiting too long multiple times. It is inexcusable that Jim Nance, Houston Antwine and Leon Gray all were denied the opportunity to enjoy that experience while they were still alive.

The rule regarding being on the full ballot previously in order to have consideration by the senior committee needs to be eliminated. It is unnecessary and needlessly eliminates many worthy candidates like Julius Adams and Russ Francis from a chance of even being debated.

Good question.

Tom Curran, two weeks ago: [29:00] "I brought it up last week, and Stacey James goes, "No, no, no, Tom, not today. Not doing that today..."

In their list of future candidates, they don't even mention Adam Vinatieri.

Tom Curran, two weeks ago: [29:00] "I brought it up last week, and Stacey James goes, "No, no, no, Tom, not today. Not doing that today..."

In their list of future candidates, they don't even mention Adam Vinatieri.

was that "hmmm not today" just that he didnt want to talk about the hall? im sure he's got other things going on...

i just watched the part under the header/link hof ... they only mentioned a few names, so the omission was one for brevity moreso than anything else... jeff howe mentioned his list went out to 2042... surely Adam Vinatraitor is amongst that group... and i would add, as of today he is not eligible... i think he only officially retired last season...

yeah, well, heres the thing... when you have 5x as many last place finishes vs 1st place finishes in a 20 year span ( '70-'90 ) the good seasons tend to be categorized as blips...
1970-1989 is twenty years; Pats joined the NFL in 1970.

1st place finishes: 2........2 playoffs
2nd place finishes: 6......1 playoffs
3rd place finishes: 7.......2 playoffs
4th place finishes: 1
Last place finishes: 4

So, in the two decades, the Patriots

5 times made the playoffs
6 times finished 1 game out of the playoffs
2 times finished 2 games out of the playoffs
7 times finished more than 2 games out of the playoffs.

This period is bookended by poor 3-year runs, 1967-1969 (post-Parilli), and 1990-1992 (post-Flutie), which the media uses to pretend the team was a 'laughingstock' forever.

Meanwhile, the Steelers had 8 straight losing seasons before 1972, and the 49ers had 1 winning season (Plunkett) in 8 years before 1981, and neither was classified as a 'laughingstock'. I won't even bother with the Giants' and Bears' two decades of utter futility.

in a decade dominated by the Patriots the Colts have Polian, Dungy, Manning, Harrison and James already in to only Law from the Patriots
This is ridiculous. Forehead I can understand.
The only Patriots in the hall who have played for the team for more than 7 seasons are Tippett, Hannah and Law.
Antwine is All-Time All-AFL, and should be in Canton. 11 years with Pats.

The rule regarding being on the full ballot previously in order to have consideration by the senior committee needs to be eliminated. It is unnecessary and needlessly eliminates many worthy candidates like Julius Adams and Russ Francis from a chance of even being debated.
Years with Patriots:

20-Brady
16-Adams, Grogan
15-Brown
14-Slater, Gostkowski, Armstrong, Nelson
13-Tatupu, Faulk, Bruschi, Clayborn, Morgan, Hannah
12-McCourty, McGinest, Brock, Neville
11-Edelman, Wilfork, Light, Tippett, James, Lenkaitis, Morris, Cappelletti, Antwine, Hunt

Last edited:
1970-1989 is twenty years; Pats joined the NFL in 1970.

1st place finishes: 2........2 playoffs
2nd place finishes: 6......1 playoffs
3rd place finishes: 7.......2 playoffs
4th place finishes: 1
Last place finishes: 4

So, in the two decades, the Patriots

5 times made the playoffs
6 times finished 1 game out of the playoffs
2 times finished 2 games out of the playoffs
7 times finished more than 2 games out of the playoffs.

This period is bookended by poor 3-year runs, 1967-1969 (post-Parilli), and 1990-1992 (post-Flutie), which the media uses to pretend the team was a 'laughingstock' forever.

Meanwhile, the Steelers had 8 straight losing seasons before 1972, and the 49ers had 1 winning season (Plunkett) in 8 years before 1981, and neither was classified as a 'laughingstock'. I won't even bother with the Giants' and Bears' two decades of utter futility.
The problem is this.. 70-89, 20 years... 5 playoff appearances, 0-3 to start that all off... so it was easy to write the limited playoff appearances as an anomaly rather than the norm... we did not win a playoff game until 1985... (and dont tell me again about Ben Dreith and the bad calls... I know the story... but i also know we were up 10 with a quarter to go... ) the Patriots were sabotaged at every turn by the Sullivan Family... every time the Patriots had a chance to turn the corner and become a consistently competitive team, the Sullivans would throw a wrench into the works by pissing off a good coach and/or not signing players because they didn't (or is it couldn't?) want to pay the contract prices... players would option out, get their contracts sent to other teams... in an era of no free agency, we lost too many really effing good players because of them... they let so many talented players go... It pissed off the coaches, it pissed off the players... and to some degree it pissed off the league... all the while they tried to suck as much money out of the organization as the could... the foxboro stadium lease, that kraft ultimately leveraged to buy the team, was so onerous because when it was originally devised, the Sullivan family was greedily trying to pad their own pockets based on the terms of the "lease"

Prior to the 70's, the stealers had the same rep hung around their neck.... they were laughingstocks... until they weren't...
the gints? they made their bones in league history... in the 60's they lost what? almost 6 straight league championships? They were there every season... they didn't win the title, but chances were they were competing for it... i absolutely believe the stealers are overrated as a franchise and their players are given way too much deference in the HoF selection committees because of their "legacy" in that same span, 12 play off appearances, 6 conference championships, 4 super bowl titles...

Last edited:
the gints? they made their bones in league history... in the 60's they lost what? almost 6 straight league championships? They were there every season... they didn't win the title, but chances were they were competing for it
True.

But, after 1963, 2 winning seasons in 17 years with no playoffs.
1651358974428.png
i absolutely believe the stealers are overrated as a franchise and their players are given way too much deference in the HoF selection committees because of their "legacy" in that same span, 12 play off appearances, 6 conference championships, 4 super bowl titles...
They started out in 1933. No playoffs in 14 years. Then, one appearance (a loss) in 1947. Then another 24 years with no playoffs.

From 1972-1979 (8 years): 4 Super Bowls, 2 lost AFCCG & 2 one-and-done.

Then, 1980-1989 (10 years): 6 years no playoffs, 2 one-and-done, 2 playoff wins.

Patriots (same time period): 7 years no playoffs, 2 one-and-done, 3 playoff wins, one conference championship.

The Packers? Titletown had zero winning seasons in 11 years before Lombardi.

After Vince, five winning seasons in 24 years with one playoff win in two appearances.

Raiders, Browns and Cowboys have had similar runs of futility, after long stretches of great success.

The longest stretch of losing seasons in Patriots history is seven (7) seasons.
Patriots were sabotaged at every turn by the Sullivan Family... every time the Patriots had a chance to turn the corner and become a consistently competitive team, the Sullivans would throw a wrench into the works by pissing off a good coach and/or not signing players because they didn't (or is it couldn't?) want to pay the contract prices... players would option out, get their contracts sent to other teams... in an era of no free agency, we lost too many really effing good players because of them... they let so many talented players go... It pissed off the coaches, it pissed off the players... and to some degree it pissed off the league... all the while they tried to such as much money out of the organization as the could...
Correct.

But, most of the players stayed, played, and...won. One (1) losing season in 13 years! Mixed in with the wrong decisions were some right ones.

Now, the league didn't like the bad publicity, which was hyperbolized to infinity by the Boston local media. But, they didn't like the Patriots in the first place. But of course, all those teams didn't like losing to us. Which they did. A lot.

Kraft: "Look at me! I'm not Billy Sullivan! See? Like me like me like me!!!"

NFL: "That's very nice, Robert. But, you see, we don't like the Patriots. We never have. Oh, we like making money, but no, you will never be our friend."

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back