PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Letter to Patriots Hall of Fame Selection Committee on Julius Adams

To this very day they specifically state as fact that we sucked from 1960-2000. A "laughingstock".

Hatred and resentment of Boston, New England, the other successful local pro teams, and disdain of the Patriots, including that we inherited ALL of the anti-AFL bias when the merger was consummated.

Kraft didn't help when he kind of understandably made it all about himself when he bought the team, but not at all understandably destroyed the team logo and uniforms.

Uh, I digress...
Boston was a terrible football town really until the Brady/Belichick dynasties. Football was far behind the three other major sports in popularity, and fans were relatively ignorant about the game.

That said, the 76 team is still my favorite Patriot team of all time -- it was the first great team we had -- and I'm still bitter about the playoff loss.

And I absolutely love, love Julius Adams. He was a dependable anchor player for so long, and it's an atrocity that he's not in the team's HoF.

True.

But, after 1963, 2 winning seasons in 17 years with no playoffs.
View attachment 42868

They started out in 1933. No playoffs in 14 years. Then, one appearance (a loss) in 1947. Then another 24 years with no playoffs.

From 1972-1979 (8 years): 4 Super Bowls, 2 lost AFCCG & 2 one-and-done.

Then, 1980-1989 (10 years): 6 years no playoffs, 2 one-and-done, 2 playoff wins.

Patriots (same time period): 7 years no playoffs, 2 one-and-done, 3 playoff wins, one conference championship.

The Packers? Titletown had zero winning seasons in 11 years before Lombardi.

After Vince, five winning seasons in 24 years with one playoff win in two appearances.

Raiders, Browns and Cowboys have had similar runs of futility, after long stretches of great success.

The longest stretch of losing seasons in Patriots history is seven (7) seasons.

Correct.

But, most of the players stayed, played, and...won. One (1) losing season in 13 years! Mixed in with the wrong decisions were some right ones.

Now, the league didn't like the bad publicity, which was hyperbolized to infinity by the Boston local media. But, they didn't like the Patriots in the first place. But of course, all those teams didn't like losing to us. Which they did. A lot.

Kraft: "Look at me! I'm not Billy Sullivan! See? Like me like me like me!!!"

NFL: "That's very nice, Robert. But, you see, we don't like the Patriots. We never have. Oh, we like making money, but no, you will never be our friend."

I think you need to rebalance your argument... redefine what a successful season means.

Is 8-8 a successful year? was it back then in the 70's and 80's? No, I don't think it was. How about 9-7? 9-7 is ok... but really, its not because chances are you are finishing 3rd in the division, and are in the middle of the conference pack... and aren't making the playoffs. (the first few years itsf 7-7. 8-6, etc as the nfl went from 14 to 16 games in '78...)

10-6? now we're talking... in the mix, so yeah, a successful regular season...

11-5? Now we are talking about a successful regular season ...

12-4? forget about it... Incredible regular season record...

Thanks. There's at least a partial list of them on the Pats' site. Everyone, please remember to
View attachment 31805View attachment 31806

I know Ernie Adams advocated for Chuck Fairbanks - who hired Ernie for his first job out of college - and Chuck got nominated once.

Francis, Tatupu and Stingley all belong - but Julius is at the top of my list.

I will post my letter soon.

Thanks.
I adored Fairbanks for turning the team around through his coaching -- introduction of the first true 3-4 defense -- and drafting (John Hannah, Mike Haynes, Raymond Clayborn, Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis, Steve Nelson, Steve Grogan etc). But he betrayed the team in 1978 a la Parcells by accepting the Colorado job while they were deep in a playoff run. The last Pats game I actually attended was the playoff game vs Houston that year, and the team was clearly listless and played without passion. Because of their betrayals, I don't support Fairbanks or Parcells being in the Pats HoF, despite both being excellent Coach/GM's.

I've got major surgery Friday morning so if I start posting afterwards about how I like and accept the flying elvis you'll know I didn't make it out of there with my marbles.
Will be praying for you, old timer

Boston was a terrible football town really until the Brady/Belichick dynasties. Football was far behind the three other major sports in popularity, and fans were relatively ignorant about the game.

That said, the 76 team is still my favorite Patriot team of all time -- it was the first great team we had -- and I'm still bitter about the playoff loss.

And I absolutely love, love Julius Adams. He was a dependable anchor player for so long, and it's an atrocity that he's not in the team's HoF.

The team that went to the 63 AFC Championship (and got trounced by the Chargers, was the first great Patriot's, not as talented as the 76 team but a great team.

I adored Fairbanks for turning the team around through his coaching But he betrayed the team in 1978 a la Parcells by accepting the Colorado job while they were deep in a playoff run. The last Pats game I actually attended was the playoff game vs Houston that year, and the team was clearly listless and played without passion.
Exactly...Very well said

I adored Fairbanks for turning the team around through his coaching -- introduction of the first true 3-4 defense -- and drafting (John Hannah, Mike Haynes, Raymond Clayborn, Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis, Steve Nelson, Steve Grogan etc). But he betrayed the team in 1978 a la Parcells by accepting the Colorado job while they were deep in a playoff run. The last Pats game I actually attended was the playoff game vs Houston that year, and the team was clearly listless and played without passion. Because of their betrayals, I don't support Fairbanks or Parcells being in the Pats HoF, despite both being excellent Coach/GM's.
There is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that happened with Fairbanks vis a vis player contracts that ultimately caused him to want out... the '77 fairbanks promised contract deals/extensions with both John Hannah and Leon Gray in 1977 that lead them to sit out the first four games... in '78 he agreed to a deal/extension with Darryl Stingley, who got hurt / paralyzed in the preseason that year... Chuck Sullivan reneged on that agreement ... That particular move was the straw that broke the camels back with Fairbanks...

Fairbanks may have been an ashole, but the Sullivans undermined him at every turn...

There is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that happened with Fairbanks vis a vis player contracts that ultimately caused him to want out... the '77 fairbanks promised contract deals/extensions with both John Hannah and Leon Gray in 1977 that lead them to sit out the first four games... in '78 he agreed to a deal/extension with Darryl Stingley, who got hurt / paralyzed in the preseason that year... Chuck Sullivan reneged on that agreement ... That particular move was the straw that broke the camels back with Fairbanks...

Fairbanks may have been an ashole, but the Sullivans undermined him at every turn...
The Fairbanks " timing departure " was terrible and as expected had an effect allready in the 2 first quarters against the Oilers...
Pity...1976 and 1978 teams were so good

Fairbanks then had not a bright future too in Colorado University...

Still one of the best coaches we had

The team that went to the 63 AFC Championship (and got trounced by the Chargers, was the first great Patriot's, not as talented as the 76 team but a great team.
In 1961, the Patriots finished one game behind the champion Houston Oilers.
In 1962, the Patriots finished 1 1/2 games behind Houston.
In '63, they beat the Bills in the playoff at Buffalo, and then lost the title game in SD.
In '64, they finished 1 1/2 games behind the champion Bills.

In '66, they finished 1/2 game behind the Bills.

Had they been able to beat the Jets at Shea (they lost 38-28) in the last game, the AFL championship game would have been at Fenway Park. The Bills lost to the Chiefs at War Memorial Stadium, and the Chiefs then lost Super Bowl I to the Packers at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Matt Snell & Emerson Boozer rushed for 241 yards between them, and Joe Namath had 3 TD passes.

As in 1963, the '66 Pats had 11 AFL All-Stars, including Nick Buoniconti.

I adored Fairbanks for turning the team around through his coaching -- introduction of the first true 3-4 defense -- and drafting (John Hannah, Mike Haynes, Raymond Clayborn, Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis, Steve Nelson, Steve Grogan etc). But he betrayed the team in 1978 a la Parcells by accepting the Colorado job while they were deep in a playoff run. The last Pats game I actually attended was the playoff game vs Houston that year, and the team was clearly listless and played without passion.
The '78 team was racked by injuries. The final blow was Grogan hurting his knee in the meaningless Monday Night finale in the Orange Bowl, the fiasco when the team was told in the locker room before kickoff that Fairbanks was gone. Players cried. This qualifies as one of the things Sullivan did not handle well.

I'm sorry you had to suffer through that stupid playoff. Steve obviously was done. Tom Owen came in to throw two quick TD passes, but Campbell was able to seal it. It was a mess. And it was very, very sad. I understand fans were hurt by what Fairbanks did, but I understood it. He'd had enough of Sullivan.
Because of their betrayals, I don't support Fairbanks or Parcells being in the Pats HoF, despite both being excellent Coach/GM's.
I don't put any weight in the manner of their departures. Both later stated they regretted it. But seriously, folks, both guys were outa here.

Chuck was tired of fighting, but otherwise he was happy living & coaching here.

Parcells never got along with Kraft, who didn't hire him. I think it's silly to take into account how he tried to 'undermine' us when he defected to the Jete, so what? HE WAS WORKING FOR ANOTHER TEAM. That said, Fairbanks, Berry & Holovak deserve induction before Bill. They were better.

Is 8-8 a successful year?
Depends on context, including talent, expectations and performance.

The 1974 Patriots (7-7) set the standard for the franchise in the modern, post-merger, Super Bowl era of the sport.

They started 5-0 and 6-1, beating two Super Bowl teams including the two-time defending champions, two other recent Super Bowl winners and another division winner. They missed the playoffs by losing two games to (revenge-driven, fired original coach)Lou Saban's Bills by a total of 3 points. Mack Herron broke Gale Sayers' all-purpose yardage record, and they scored the second most points in the NFL (7 behind Oakland). After 1974, nothing less than a Super Bowl championship would feel successful, as the Bruins and Celtics were recent title winners, and the Red Sox were now perennially competing at the top.

The 1983 Patriots were inconsistent in Tony Eason's rookie year. Mosi Tatupu led the NFL with 5.5 yards per carry, and Clayton Weishuhn also established the franchise record of 229 tackles in a single season, which still stands. The team showed potential, but the players were already getting fed up with Ron Meyer. Still, a lot of young stars got experience which would lead to later success in the decade.
How about 9-7? 9-7 is ok... but really, its not because chances are you are finishing 3rd in the division, and are in the middle of the conference pack
It's competitive; much better than a losing season.

Pats:

1976 11-3 /still considered perhaps the best Pats team ever - and Morgan & Clayborn were drafted the next year
1977 9-5 /Sullivan blocked GM Fairbanks' contract settlement with Hannah & Gray

1978 11-5 /injuries hurt; but set team rushing record which stood for 40 years
1979 9-7 /Fairbanks & Gray gone
1980 10-6 /most snakebit team ever; ridiculous close losses

But 1988 was a killer. Like 2001 when, with Bledsoe the team wouldn't smell the postseason and would have been lucky to make .500, the '88 Patriots likewise had a strong defense and running game, and lots of playoff and Super Bowl experience, but was putrid without Flutie. Berry never learned his lesson, replacing Doug with not only Tony Eason, but Tony Eason who hadn't even played in a year. Insane.
9-7 is ok... but really, its not because chances are you are finishing 3rd in the division, and are in the middle of the conference pack... and aren't making the playoffs.
Lots of 9-7 teams made the playoffs - and hate to bring this up, but the 2011 Giants' season has to be classified as successful. :(

In '66, they finished 1/2 game behind the Bills.

Had they been able to beat the Jets at Shea (they lost 38-28) in the last game, the AFL championship game would have been at Fenway Park. The Bills lost to the Chiefs at War Memorial Stadium, and the Chiefs then lost Super Bowl I to the Packers at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Matt Snell & Emerson Boozer rushed for 241 yards between them, and Joe Namath had 3 TD passes.

As in 1963, the '66 Pats had 11 AFL All-Stars, including Nick Buoniconti.

I remember Joe Namath himself saying after the game that he thought the Pats were a better team than the Bills were that year.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back