PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lets talk OT via the draft

I really like Tyrell Crosby. LT may not be his best position but he'll do fine and he's a great run blocker. I think Dante could do some good with this kid.

I think it is fair to say that the highest priority in the draft is:

- LT
- DL
- QB

in that order....

IMO. :rolleyes:

I think it is fair to say that the highest priority in the draft is:

- LT
- DL
- QB

in that order....

IMO. :rolleyes:
IMO:
- LB (versatile athletic starter than can fill in for 54, start outside...Evans at 43?)
- DE (need a starter than can rush the passer to start ahead of Clayborn)
- LT (Garcia was drafted for a reason, and Fleming or Waddle should be back but meed a franchise LT... Kolton Miller on Day 1? Brown on Day 3?)
- TE (Gronk should be back for how long? No TE2 on the roster either...Andrews? Fumagali? Aiken?)

IMO:
- LB (versatile athletic starter than can fill in for 54, start outside...Evans at 43?)
- DE (need a starter than can rush the passer to start ahead of Clayborn)
- LT (Garcia was drafted for a reason, and Fleming or Waddle should be back but meed a franchise LT... Kolton Miller on Day 1? Brown on Day 3?)
- TE (Gronk should be back for how long? No TE2 on the roster either...Andrews? Fumagali? Aiken?)

I’m not quite so concerned at TE. Yes, we probably need to find a future Gronk replacement at some stage but the TE group is the same as last year and we got to the SB. We could roll with this group this year certainly. I’m not objecting to finding another, I just don’t see it as a priority.

I see the needs as (in order)

1. LT
2. An athletic Linebacker. This front 7 needs some speed and explosion.
3= A secondary piece be it a long term solution at outside CB or a versatile safety.
3= Developmental QB
4 DE would be nice but it might be hard to find a quality pass rusher in the 4th round or later.

Just my Two-pennies.

I’m not quite so concerned at TE. Yes, we probably need to find a future Gronk replacement at some stage but the TE group is the same as last year and we got to the SB. We could roll with this group this year certainly. I’m not objecting to finding another, I just don’t see it as a priority.

1. LT
3= A secondary piece be it a long term solution at outside CB or a versatile safety.
3= Developmental QB
4 DE would be nice but it might be hard to find a quality pass rusher in the 4th round or later.

Just my Two-pennies.
Remember 87 is a fragile luxury these days too

I think if all goes well in the '18 draft for NE and pick up an athletic LB, explosive pass rusher, as well as LT/TE in the top 100 and a Day 3 RB then the developmental QB and CB will be a priority next year

How's:
1.31. Rashaan Evans, LB, 'Bama
2.43. Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
2.63. Martinas Rankin, LT, Mississippi State
3.95. Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
4.136. Shaq Griffin, LB, UCF
7.219. WR Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami
* I do expect trades to either move up or move down (If Evans is gone at 31, look for BB to trade down for another 2, 3, 4, and 7 similar to 2013)

Sound?

Remember 87 is a fragile luxury these days too

I think if all goes well in the '18 draft for NE and pick up an athletic LB, explosive pass rusher, as well as LT/TE in the top 100 and a Day 3 RB then the developmental QB and CB will be a priority next year

How's:
1.31. Rashaan Evans, LB, 'Bama
2.43. Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
2.63. Martinas Rankin, LT, Mississippi State
3.95. Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
4.136. Shaq Griffin, LB, UCF
7.219. WR Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami
* I do expect trades to either move up or move down (If Evans is gone at 31, look for BB to trade down for another 2, 3, 4, and 7 similar to 2013)

Sound?

It sounds fine although it would depend on Rankin who I’ve yet to watch. LT is the biggest need currently so any draft is dependent on the LT we draft as things stand currently.

It sounds fine although it would depend on Rankin who I’ve yet to watch. LT is the biggest need currently so any draft is dependent on the LT we draft as things stand currently.
Just remember Garcia was taken for a reason last year

He was but may end up not playing for two years. I see Garcia as little more than a bonus currently, not someone I expect to be a starting LT.

Or ever, for that matter. :(

This reminds me of what happened with Armond Armstead: if the Patriots get anything out of him at this point, I'll be happy.

1. LT
3= Developmental QB

Just my Two-pennies.
Do you not call them pence instead of pennies on the Isle?

I think Connor Williams will be my no1 LT. Ready to go day one and with those shorter arms is falling somewhat. He could very well be available at 31. And on those shorter arms - he has 33” arms. Antonio Garcia had 33 3/8 so whilst maybe not ideal for B.B., I think he’d live with them.
What about hand 9-3/8" and arm 33-1/8"?

Brandon Parker was my favorite Day 3 LT developmental pick, until Bill ****ed up everything by not re-signing Solder. Now LT is By Far our #1 draft need and Must be addressed by #43 at the Very Latest. That means that there will likely not be enough picks remaining to draft 2 LTs, especially when our needs for at least one pick at other positions are considered.
#43? I bet Bill Belichick drafts a safety.

What about hand 9-3/8" and arm 33-1/8"?

Doesn’t overly bother me. Joe Thomas had shorter arms. He got by on talent and I think Williams has more talent than O’Neill or Miller. Long arms are the ideal but I’d still draft the more talented guy. And fwiw, Williams’ arms are about the same length as Antonio Garcia, who, presumably was drafted as a future LT.

Do you not call them pence instead of pennies on the Isle?

Both actually although pence is the more common. It just doesn’t work as well in the phrase as “pennies”.

I will go with highest priority in the draft:

LT
LB
S

Exorcise me from the Jordan Richards demons.

Doesn’t overly bother me. Joe Thomas had shorter arms. He got by on talent and I think Williams has more talent than O’Neill or Miller. Long arms are the ideal but I’d still draft the more talented guy. And fwiw, Williams’ arms are about the same length as Antonio Garcia, who, presumably was drafted as a future LT.
Nobody even took a flyer on this prospect, not even in the seventh round.

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

I wonder if Patriots use 2 top picks on OT and then trade Cannon next season.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back