PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lets talk OT via the draft

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not the greatest planning by the Patriots, the Matt Light to Solder transition was textbook. I expect them to sign Waddle or Fleming but LT remains the biggest hole on the roster. The bad news is it doesn't look like a great year for tackles in the draft but the good news is that most of them should be available in the 25-40 range.

Does anyone have any favorites and / or sleepers?
I guess I am not allowed to say Joe Thomas from retirement is my sleeper...

Here is a list of all offensive linemen from nfl.com (they have really stepped up their game, the nfl.com website has a nice set of profiles on 2018 prospects)

2018 NFL Draft Tracker – NFL.com

They drafted two OT last year. They didn't know one would have blood clots and the other would be claimed off waivers. I don't think it's fair to say it's bad planning. It just didn't work out as hoped.

That said, I'll copy my breakdown of Kolton Miller from the other thread about 2018 draft prospects, where the OT discussion is well under way:

You all mentioned Kolton Miller recently. I had written him off earlier in the season, because I disliked how passive he was in his set. He rarely punches, instead opting to catch rushers as they come, and his hands get too far outside, causing him to grab and occasionally hold. Well, I just finished a deep dive on his 2017 season, and I am incredibly impressed. Other than this technical flaw, which can be cleaned up (paging Scar!), his game is absolutely perfect for the Patriots.

Let's get one thing out of the way: his height isn't going to be a detriment. He didn't struggle with leverage in any of the games I watched. He has very good knee bend, and his core strength is leagues better than McDermott's from last year, the other tall and athletic UCLA tackle. We drafted him in the 6th, and he was one of my most sure-fire locks to the Patriots, based on his tape and athletic profile; he didn't make it in camp, but he's with Buffalo now. I always thought he lacked a little functional power, but that it would come with time. Miller is far better at absorbing contact and re-anchoring.

Miller is also quite solid in the run game, and UCLA often ran left in short yardage to take advantage of his ability to fire off the ball. Three things stood out positively to me: 1) his enormous range in space when pulling, and the ability to lock onto a target and make the block; 2) quickness to the outside -- he can beat the DE to the edge, and then turn and wall off the defender on outside running plays, which is tough for any tackle; and 3) whenever he finishes a block, he looks for more work to do. I hate passive line play, so this kind of attitude is always encouraging to me.

Against the pass, his kick step is low and wide. He just eats up ground in pass pro, easily shutting off the corner against speed. His redirection against inside counters -- one of Solder's few weaknesses at times -- is also shockingly good for a tall guy. His knee bend and relatively low base for his size allow him to mitigate the lack of leverage that his height might suggest. While he's not overpowering against bull rushes, he does display the ability to reset his feet, and he's got a better than advertised anchor. There's a lot of natural athleticism to work with, and if he can improve his punch and get his hands inside the blocker's frame, he can dominate against speed and power.

Overall, I see Miller strongly in play for 43. Much better player than I originally thought.

People are down on Orlando Brown after the Combine. Well, let's see what he did to a guy who "destroyed" the Combine with great test numbers. Technique and functional strength > test numbers. I still think Brown can be a franchise left tackle.

It's not completely out of the question that Garcia can re-gain the weight and compete for the spot next year if he's healthy.

They drafted two OT last year. They didn't know one would have blood clots and the other would be claimed off waivers. I don't think it's fair to say it's bad planning...
I think it is.
Boney Tony was always nothing more than a shot in the dark, and his weight loss has now made him a shot in a hurricane.
And McDermott was just a bad pick, period. UDFA talent. Corey Levin should've been the choice there.

People are down on Orlando Brown after the Combine. Well, let's see what he did to a guy who "destroyed" the Combine with great test numbers. Technique and functional strength > test numbers. I still think Brown can be a franchise left tackle...
Orlando Brown is a fat slob, and was exposed.

Orlando Brown is a fat slob, and was exposed.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but he's actually lost a lot of weight throughout college. He came in at 450 pounds. He also improved his testing numbers at pro day to a marginal range -- not great, but acceptable. His tape is pretty good, though. He didn't give up a single sack last season, and his run blocking was very solid. I don't think he fits in NE with the amount of pulling and screens that the Patriots run, but in the right scheme, he can be a long term starter.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but he's actually lost a lot of weight throughout college. He came in at 450 pounds. He also improved his testing numbers at pro day to a marginal range -- not great, but acceptable. His tape is pretty good, though. He didn't give up a single sack last season, and his run blocking was very solid. I don't think he fits in NE with the amount of pulling and screens that the Patriots run, but in the right scheme, he can be a long term starter.
I think Brown will be just fine at the next level

May not fit NE but if he slips enough and NE has covered most of their holes, who knows

Just remember Garcia was drafted for a reason

I think Brown will be just fine at the next level

May not fit NE but if he slips enough and NE has covered most of their holes, who knows

Just remember Garcia was drafted for a reason

True, but Garcia and Brown are . . . Rather different.

It all comes down to schemes. Teams run a simple power scheme and teams run a zone blocking scheme. We run a zone blocking scheme.

McGlinchey is a power run scheme guy.
Miller is a zone blocking scheme guy.
Crosby is a zone blocking scheme guy.
Brown is a power run scheme guy.

I think McGlinchey and Miller will be off the board by 31.

But Crosby should be available at 63.

Just one thing to watch. Three of the four OL we drafted/signed had workouts or visits with the Pats:

Garcia - Visit
Andrews - Private workout
Mason - Private Workout

I couldn’t find evidence of one for McDermott. Just something to bear in mind.

Brandon Parker of NC A&T interests me.

6’7” 305 with 35” arms

Not super athletic but pretty good (28.5” VJ, 4.68 ss). However, he really looks the part with no excess body weight, he fires out of his stance in the run game and doesn’t embarrass himself in pass pro although he’s going up against the likes of Grambling and Richmond.

I don’t think he’s someone who could start year one but as a developmental prospect behind Cannon or Waddle, I would be interested. Probably a day three pick.

It all comes down to schemes. Teams run a simple power scheme and teams run a zone blocking scheme. We run a zone blocking scheme.

If I were BB, I'd be willing to do a trade up into the 20s to get an OT.

I think Connor Williams will be my no1 LT. Ready to go day one and with those shorter arms is falling somewhat. He could very well be available at 31. And on those shorter arms - he has 33” arms. Antonio Garcia had 33 3/8 so whilst maybe not ideal for B.B., I think he’d live with them.

Like Crosby on tape. Not always the prettiest, and he needs to add strength, but despite that, he almost always gets the job done. His body type says guard, but his play style and arm length are far better suited to the outside. Great choice for a developmental player.

I think Connor Williams will be my no1 LT. Ready to go day one and with those shorter arms is falling somewhat. He could very well be available at 31. And on those shorter arms - he has 33” arms. Antonio Garcia had 33 3/8 so whilst maybe not ideal for B.B., I think he’d live with them.

Joe Thomas: 32 1/2. Athleticism and technique > an extra inch or two of arm length.

Say we got for a short term this season at LT, does anyone know what the LT are like in 2019 draft?

Seriously keep an eye on Ricky Leonard from FSU, RT but may go late/UDFA, depth

Brandon Parker of NC A&T interests me.

6’7” 305 with 35” arms

Not super athletic but pretty good (28.5” VJ, 4.68 ss). However, he really looks the part with no excess body weight, he fires out of his stance in the run game and doesn’t embarrass himself in pass pro although he’s going up against the likes of Grambling and Richmond.

I don’t think he’s someone who could start year one but as a developmental prospect behind Cannon or Waddle, I would be interested. Probably a day three pick.
Brandon Parker was my favorite Day 3 LT developmental pick, until Bill ****ed up everything by not re-signing Solder. Now LT is By Far our #1 draft need and Must be addressed by #43 at the Very Latest. That means that there will likely not be enough picks remaining to draft 2 LTs, especially when our needs for at least one pick at other positions are considered.

Brandon Parker was my favorite Day 3 LT developmental pick, until Bill ****ed up everything by not re-signing Solder. Now LT is By Far our #1 draft need and Must be addressed by #43 at the Very Latest. That means that there will likely not be enough picks remaining to draft 2 LTs, especially when our needs for at least one pick at other positions are considered.

I think they could still afford to draft a developmental guy late who could then compete with Tobin or go to the PS. Re-sign Waddle or Fleming to a 1 or 2 year contract, draft Connor Williams, draft Parker. I’m assuming Garcia won’t be ready for the beginning off the season.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back