PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Let's Talk Free Agency 2024

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Status
Not open for further replies.

do the bucs have enough for baker? Also how much you think dugger will get now

I'm feeling a little apprehensive about free agency. We don't seem that close with our own free agents and the players we have been linked with so far are really underwhelming - Joe Flacco, Gardner Minshew, Noah Brown, Austin Hooper, Tyrone Smith. I hope they are hiding something bigger up their sleeve and there is a premier signing. We need to focus on just signing good players for the long term regardless of need, rather than signing average players to fill holes.

All these reports that we have extended offers to our own free agents slightly concern me. I hope to be proved wrong but there are no reports about "mutual interest in returning", "Patriots and X are close" yet - hopefully that will come soon. Everyone seems content to hit free agency and our players seem to be highly valued free agents (as funny as that sounds).

I don't see the Patriots having much success in the FA period. There are a lot of reasons that a FA would not want to play in New England

1. 1) Poor prospects for a championship...maybe but I think that the Patriots will be much better
  2. 2) A cheapskate owner, poor facilities, poor food. Maybe all the bad press that Kraft has gotten will loosen his purse strings.
  3. 3) Bad weather.
  4. 4) The usual nasty artificial playing surface means more injuries. Why risk a career ending injury when you could play on grass?
  5. 5) Expensive place to live
  6. 6) Playing for a rookie coach instead of a HoF coach
  7. 7) Ill-informed, douche-bag reporters and radio jocks. Look at what Felger did to Randy Moss...
  8. 8) Supporting cast issues: If you are a WR, who is going to throw to you? If you are a OLineman, will you be standing next to a turnstile?
Gawd, in reading this, I sound like a Felger, Adam Jones, or one of the other radio douche bags. I guess there must be some positives such as playing for a "player's coach" and not having to deal with the grim BB. Also it would be exciting to be involved with a team on the rise; the Patriots are definitely going to be a lot better this year. Also if you are a defensive player, you could be part of an elite defense.

I don't see the Patriots having much success in the FA period. There are a lot of reasons that a FA would not want to play in New England

1. 1) Poor prospects for a championship...maybe but I think that the Patriots will be much better
  2. 2) A cheapskate owner, poor facilities, poor food. Maybe all the bad press that Kraft has gotten will loosen his purse strings.
  3. 3) Bad weather.
  4. 4) The usual nasty artificial playing surface means more injuries. Why risk a career ending injury when you could play on grass?
  5. 5) Expensive place to live
  6. 6) Playing for a rookie coach instead of a HoF coach
  7. 7) Ill-informed, douche-bag reporters and radio jocks. Look at what Felger did to Randy Moss...
  8. 8) Supporting cast issues: If you are a WR, who is going to throw to you? If you are a OLineman, will you be standing next to a turnstile?
Gawd, in reading this, I sound like a Felger, Adam Jones, or one of the other radio douche bags. I guess there must be some positives such as playing for a "player's coach" and not having to deal with the grim BB. Also it would be exciting to be involved with a team on the rise; the Patriots are definitely going to be a lot better this year. Also if you are a defensive player, you could be part of an elite defense.
Dude relax, money talks.

We need to focus on just signing good players for the long term regardless of need, rather than signing average players to fill holes.
We have holes and all there are are average players available on offense (with a few exceptions at TE and RB). I think it's a short-term solution until this year's rookie class and probably next year's come up to speed. The good players are available on the defensive side.

OT Tyron Smith on a new year deal would be nice untill the Rookie Tackle is ready.

We have holes and all there are are average players available on offense (with a few exceptions at TE and RB). I think it's a short-term solution until this year's rookie class and probably next year's come up to speed. The good players are available on the defensive side.
But we ain't going to spend all our Cap on that side. Need a competent Offense that can pull it's weight Go all out for TE Dalton Schultz to help our Young QB.

Schefter reporting both ends Josh Allen and Burns expected to get the franchise tag today.

That cap bump is really screwing the Pats free agent options. Gotta go all in on Miami’s DT.

Schefter reporting both ends Josh Allen and Burns expected to get the franchise tag today.

That cap bump is really screwing the Pats free agent options. Gotta go all in on Miami’s DT.
damn Badell.

Bobby is this your king?

I think I've settled in with Gardner minshew as the qb to target. I'd probably roll with Jacoby if he saved money but age and ability I'm cool with minshew. Scored high on the wonderlic he's got some moxy.

I think I've settled in with Gardner minshew as the qb to target. I'd probably roll with Jacoby if he saved money but age and ability I'm cool with minshew. Scored high on the wonderlic he's got some moxy.
Yeah, he’s my choice too at this point. I can live with Brisket. I don’t really want to end up with Flacco.

Drew Lock will forever be my binkie I can’t help it.
Him and Stidham were my 2 QB targets that draft.
I think Stidham starts in Denver next year and is way better than Mac or Bailey.

Drew Lock will forever be my binkie I can’t help it.
Him and Stidham were my 2 QB targets that draft.
I think Stidham starts in Denver next year and is way better than Mac or Bailey.
I thought Drew Lock looked good in Seattle don't know who their QB Coach is but he turned Geno Smith around and Lock looked good in relief compared to his Denver days. Is Lock under contract??

Carolina’s Brian Burns has been tagged.

The legal tampering window starts March 11th. But in reality I’m sure it already started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST