PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle will be huge ongoing problem for Pats this season

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
riley-reiff-struggles-paints-grim-picture-patriots-offensive-line

I still think Pats should have prioritized this critical position more than they did in Free agency and draft.
Riley Reiff is no Jonathan Ogden. Trent Brown is notoriously inconsistent in performance and injuries.
Calvin Anderson is completely unproven and Sow is not really a tackle. OT is a foundational piece in the pass heavy current NFL. To build a solid team you have to have pillars on the line that will hold up.

There has been consistent chatter about DHOP and how much he will help Mac, but I think LT was always and still is more important.
Doesn't matter if you have DHOP and Gesicki/Henry, if the opposing team's DE can walk right around the LT on the outside or with aswim move on the inside.

I think MAC will face a lot of pressure from opposing D's this year.
Surprised BB did not pay more attention to OT and that he is spending so much time wooing a 31 yo WR who does not like to practice and has previously said he was not wild about coming to the pats. DHOP is not going to transform this team...but a great LT would.

OT is my biggest question mark coming into training camp, but I'm not going to worry about an individual o-lineman's "struggles" until they put on pads.

What did Chicago and Denver media both report after NE signed Reiff and Anderson.....

"The Bears (Broncos) moved on from Reiff (Anderson) with plans to significantly upgrade at tackle."

Last edited:
OMG! The sky is falling! The season is a disaster!

Training camp opens in just over a month. Please pace yourselves. At this rate you’ll all be exhausted before they put pads on.

When complaining that the Patriots didn’t add good enough players, it’s usually good to suggest who better options would have been.

Yep, the offensive line is going to haunt them. We've never had a Pats team this late in the offseason where we have no idea who the tackles are in a very long time. And the projected starters shouldn't even be on the team. This should've been priority #1 in the offseason.

Even if Strange improves, this group is still worse than last year - and they were bad.

Opposing D's will bring the pressure on obvious passing downs until the Pats prove they can hold up with their protection.

When complaining that the Patriots didn’t add good enough players, it’s usually good to suggest who better options would have been.
I screamed for an upgrade but to your point, without spending the GDP of a Central American nation not sure what options they had.

Did we really overpay for reif by guaranteeing a 4 million contract. I was reading opinions by bears writers and they were talking about not going beyond vet minimum for re-signing Reif in March.

It's June only but still concerns galore on OT especially with brown regressing even further .

I still think Pats should have prioritized this critical position more than they did in Free agency and draft.
Riley Reiff is no Jonathan Ogden. Trent Brown is notoriously inconsistent in performance and injuries.
Calvin Anderson is completely unproven and Sow is not really a tackle. OT is a foundational piece in the pass heavy current NFL. To build a solid team you have to have pillars on the line that will hold up.

There has been consistent chatter about DHOP and how much he will help Mac, but I think LT was always and still is more important.
Doesn't matter if you have DHOP and Gesicki/Henry, if the opposing team's DE can walk right around the LT on the outside or with aswim move on the inside.

Surprised BB did not pay more attention to OT and that he is spending so much time wooing a 31 yo WR who does not like to practice and has previously said he was not wild about coming to the pats. DHOP is not going to transform this team...but a great LT would.
Calvin Anderson/Trent Mount Brown are two good alternatives we have the Coaching.

There is always the option of moving Onwenu to RT.

Remember everybody including Trent Brown gets a pass on that 2022 Train wreck of a Offense lead by Fat Matt. I am not worried about the OL: with OL-Coach Klemm now in the fold. I think our concerns should be can Mac read Defenses not get rattled at the sign of a possible Blitz and hit Receivers in stride with a competent OC.

There is always the option of moving Onwenu to RT.
Mike Onwenu is a Guard wand will get paid like one we are pretty much set at Guard. I would love for us to upgrade the Center Position from the older David Andrews.

Right down party lines. I feel @RobertWeathers addressed it best. I would have liked a OT in round 1, but Gonzalez is too good to pass up, and they are going to win games by keeping opposing offenses from putting up 30+.

I would love for us to upgrade the Center Position from the older David Andrews.
That's why they drafted Jake Andrews. If Jake shows anything in camp, David's days are numbered.

Remember everybody including Trent Brown gets a pass on that 2022 Train wreck of an Offense lead by Fat Matt. I am not worried about the OL: with OL-Coach Klemm now in the fold. I think our concerns should be can Mac read Defenses not get rattled at the sign of a possible Blitz and hit Receivers in stride with a competent OC.
Agree totally regarding 2022. My biggest concern, literally biggest, is Trent Brown. He’s been great when he’s in shape, has a history of problems when e shows up out of shape. I’m just hoping he has enough time, willingness, and discipline to get into decent shape before training camp opens. Even if he doesn’t I’ve got more optimism with Coach Klemm on board. I gather he is a disciple of Scar, and if he does a good job of producing linemen the way Scar did we‘re gonna be alright.

That's why they drafted Jake Andrews. If Jake shows anything in camp, David's days are numbered.
David will be at center this year, barring any health or injury issues. BB won’t plug a raw rookie in there right away. Even if David goes down Jake will sit a year behind Russey. BB just won’t expose a rookie at center until he’s been in the system at least a year.

Yeah.. LT is a concern.. there are so many factors that go into it. Trent Brown is the catalyst here. Had we got the 2018 brown motivated and was dam near dominant at LT.. we wouldn't even have a concern.. however we get the version of him that got paid and retired! What would concern me more is if we didn't have BOB and true offensive coaching like last season.. the offense will allow Mac to get rid of the ball quickly, and not Pat the ball wich allows rushers to collapse the pocket.

We've had subpar O line play with brady, however the key was getting the ball out under 2 seconds. I'm just trying to have an optimistic approach for the line if any.

OLine is definitely the biggest concern

I screamed for an upgrade but to your point, without spending the GDP of a Central American nation not sure what options they had.

Yea their options were really from the draft, I badly wanted them to take Broderick Jones but they traded out and got Gonzalez instead

Not mad about it, but really thought we had a shot at a good tackle there... however some of our draft gurus felt that this was a weaker T class and that some of these guys were going to be drafted higher than they really should

So i feel good that we got a potential star in Gonzalez... just hope Sow or someone else can develop into a legit Tackle... and there is always next years draft, im also not opposed to going all out and trading high draft assets to secure a Tackle... problem is, not a lot of teams are willing to trade elite tackles

David will be at center this year, barring any health or injury issues. BB won’t plug a raw rookie in there right away. Even if David goes down Jake will sit a year behind Russey. BB just won’t expose a rookie at center until he’s been in the system at least a year.
That wasn't what I was insinuating that David would get cut. I meant this would be his last year.

However, Koppen started 15 games as a rookie in 2003 when Woody got injured. Eventually took his job that season.

Bryan Stork started 11 games as a rookie in 2014.

David Andrews started 11 games as a rookie in 2015 for an injured Stork and Wendell.

Yeah.. LT is a concern.. there are so many factors that go into it. Trent Brown is the catalyst here. Had we got the 2018 brown motivated and was dam near dominant at LT.. we wouldn't even have a concern.. however we get the version of him that got paid and retired! What would concern me more is if we didn't have BOB and true offensive coaching like last season.. the offense will allow Mac to get rid of the ball quickly, and not Pat the ball wich allows rushers to collapse the pocket.

We've had subpar O line play with brady, however the key was getting the ball out under 2 seconds. I'm just trying to have an optimistic approach for the line if any.

OC BOB's Offense take plenty shots down the field he's not into that dink and dunk stuff.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back