PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lazar: Belichick’s in-game decision-making is holding the Pats back

The answer is almost certainly on staff now. Josh, Matty P, one of the Belichick Boys, Mayo seem to be on the short list. Most of the guys who want Bill gone seem to want these guys gone too. So that means you have to go out of the organization. Who's out there that can be on a list that has a relationship with the Krafts? Billy O, Flores, Joe Judge, Vrabel? Who's going to be the GM? Dmitiroff? Billy O? Pioli? Do we go outside the organization and turn to a guy like Schiano? None of it seems better than what we have currently.

Careful what you wish for indeed.
If we do get rid of BB we should start over in the front office as well. I think he has to get another year and probably even 2. He should be here as long as he wants but he lost that privilege when he took the same privilege away from our 20 year QB. If he hovers around 50% for the next year or 2 I suspect there are many up and coming coaches we could replace him with that can do better.

NFL Team Fourth Down Conversions per Game​

1634826552536.png

I'm just sitting here blown people are even considering getting rid of BB. It's like I'm in some weird alternate reality where everyone drank lead as a child
Issa Rae Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I don’t think this article or the stats are correct.

BB has never done anything wrong in his life.

I'm just sitting here blown people are even considering getting rid of BB. It's like I'm in some weird alternate reality where everyone drank lead as a child
As a card carrying member of Team BB, even I can recognize the BB Way has gone off the rails.

And because I most definitely believe Robert and Son will be very proactive beyond financing free agents, I'm most curious how Kraft will maneuver in an effort to right the course of his floundering team.

How does an owner take away power from a coach/GM he ceded absolute control too....without capsizing the whole operation?
Will Robert be his own point man or will Jonathon be tasked in the bad cop role?

To be a fly on the wall in those meetings

As a card carrying member of Team BB, even I can recognize the BB Way has gone off the rails.

And because I most definitely believe Robert and Son will be very proactive beyond financing free agents, I'm most curious how Kraft will maneuver in an effort to right the course of his floundering team.

How does an owner take away power from a coach/GM he ceded absolute control too....without capsizing the whole operation?
Will Robert be his own point man or will Jonathon be tasked in the bad cop role?

To be a fly on the wall in those meetings
You don’t do that without losing BB.

I would start with cleaning the front office and prolly getting someone to replace mcdaniels. The gane has changed and we seem to be severely lacking.

Considering we got lucky with mac, no point wasting it with useless drafts and horrible free agent acquisitions.

Bill needs to do what is right for the team. If he cannot agree to that and we lose bill in the process , we will need to live with that. I am sure with mac at center we surely should be able to get really good head coaches interested in us.

I took it that was his point. My guess is that Robert says that it's time for Bill to retire, Jonathan takes over for Robert on the day to day stuff and Robert becomes chairman emeritus or some chit and assumes an Art Rooney type of role. Jonathan gets to bring in his people and we move on to a completely new era.

Two years.

This is a question I really would like people who even suggest it to be able to answer. Because, just like at QB, you can cycle through a lot of guys over a lot of years before finding the right one. People don't quite know how frustrating a lot of years might be here if that happens.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I would start with cleaning the front office and prolly getting someone to replace mcdaniels. The gane has changed and we seem to be severely lacking.

Considering we got lucky with mac, no point wasting it with useless drafts and horrible free agent acquisitions.

Bill needs to do what is right for the team. If he cannot agree to that and we lose bill in the process , we will need to live with that. I am sure with mac at center we surely should be able to get really good head coaches interested in us.

We already apparently made some changes to how the draft is run, which I'm sure included new front office personnel/roles once Caserio left. So I'm not sure we just got lucky with Mac, considering it looks like Barmore and Stevenson have a chance to be good picks too. The Mac pick seems more intentional to me, it's not like we stumbled into him in the 4th round. I think you can afford to see how this new approach works.

I took it that was his point. My guess is that Robert says that it's time for Bill to retire, Jonathan takes over for Robert on the day to day stuff and Robert becomes chairman emeritus or some chit and assumes an Art Rooney type of role. Jonathan gets to bring in his people and we move on to a completely new era.

Two years.
I've seen that movie.

200.gif

We already apparently made some changes to how the draft is run, which I'm sure included new front office personnel/roles once Caserio left. So I'm not sure we just got lucky with Mac, considering it looks like Barmore and Stevenson have a chance to be good picks too. The Mac pick seems more intentional to me, it's not like we stumbled into him in the 4th round. I think you can afford to see how this new approach works.
Valid point.. i just dont want anybody involved in 2018 and 2019 draft anywhere near the draft room. So if there are remnants from there, we should get rid of them as well.

As for belichick, maybe we need a real DC now and get his sons out of the key coaching heirarchy. And same goes with McD for his uninspired playcalling .

100% this. Questioning the personnel moves is one thing. But in critical moments during the game, there's no other guy I'd want out there. Again, if someone wants to go there and say things questioning him or criticizing him, I've loosened the reigns there a bit but I'm really asking that it's done constructively while giving examples of what you would have preferred to have seen done differently so we can at least have discussions. But otherwise, we've seen enough examples over the years to realize the guy is the best in the game.

As @Tunescribe said, when this era eventually ends - and it will - I don't think people will realize how much closer to just being part of the pack we're going to be. Players come here to play for him. That's another aspect that will go away and I think it's being a little underplayed.
Is that how you feel right now? I have not felt that way in years about him. We have been so ultra conservative and then his kick the ball to the other team in OT when we win the toss, the benching of Butler, the pooch punt vs Philly, the awful offensive game plans, trying to make Newton play in the Brady offense ... I mean it goes on and on. I started to lose faith in him back in 2015 when he literally blew home field advantage with Denver by coaching the 2 worst games of his career vs the Jets and then the Fins.

Valid point.. i just dont want anybody involved in 2018 and 2019 draft anywhere near the draft room. So if there are remnants from there, we should get rid of them as well.

As for belichick, maybe we need a real DC now and get his sons out of the key coaching heirarchy. And same goes with McD for his uninspired playcalling .
I don't love the nepotism, either. Shula and Shanahan did it too. Fine. Go coach someplace else and make a name for yourself. I'll hand wring and pine for their return when they win rings someplace else.

Jesus! We never should have let those guys walk! What the hell?!?!?

Probably
-----------------------------------------------
If Robert chooses to manage his organization using the same axioms Bill adheres to....

"It is what it is"
"Better a year too soon than a year too late"
"Next man up"
"Not going to continue to do what isn't working"
etc

.....the loyalty card will get pulled from the deck sooner rather than later

Is that how you feel right now? I have not felt that way in years about him. We have been so ultra conservative and then his kick the ball to the other team in OT when we win the toss, the benching of Butler, the pooch punt vs Philly, the awful offensive game plans, trying to make Newton play in the Brady offense ... I mean it goes on and on. I started to lose faith in him back in 2015 when he literally blew home field advantage with Denver by coaching the 2 worst games of his career vs the Jets and then the Fins.
The Butler situation is probably the one I'll never get over and do hold a bit of a grudge against. The other stuff...I don't know. Again, no coach is perfect and hindsight is always 20/20. Watching the film again last night while doing the snaps, I forgot about the awful drop by Agholor in overtime and I don't blame him for being skeptical about not going for that 4th down given what we saw leading up to that. I think he thought he could punt it, pin them deep, and then possibly get better field position to have a shot to win it with a FG on the next series. Unfortunately, that obviously didn't happen.

But to answer your question, yes, I still feel that way. Because I also feel like as Jones progresses and he's more confident about what they can do, his approach will likely change.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back