PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Lawrence Guy & Adrian Phillips Released

No Guy, eh? Brace yourself, "With the third pick of the 2024 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Defensive Tackle..." as the TV shatters into a million shards as a brick hits it....oh wait, that would be the BB era...

No Guy, eh? Brace yourself, "With the third pick of the 2024 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Defensive Tackle..." as the TV shatters into a million shards as a brick hits it....oh wait, that would be the BB era...
Don't scare us like that!

How is that showing them respect?
To catch on with another team sooner?
I don’
we do have a defensive minded head coach.

what is the belief on Godchaux? We’d save 8 million in cutting him with only a few million in dead cap, and he’s not coming off of his best season. Could understand either way on that one.

what is the belief on Godchaux? We’d save 8 million in cutting him with only a few million in dead cap, and he’s not coming off of his best season. Could understand either way on that one.
Wasn’t the run defense best in football? I’d imagine he played an important role.

I don't exactly see the point we have plenty of cap space. Who are we replacing him with? I mean I'm open to anything but also don't need to create more holes than we already have.

ESPN keeps rolling a ticker about the Guy news and it mentions he was part of two championships with New England. Is someone going to tell them that’s false…? Only reason watching ESPN is for this Iowa State and Houston game by the way. F them and their regular coverage.

I don't exactly see the point we have plenty of cap space. Who are we replacing him with? I mean I'm open to anything but also don't need to create more holes than we already have.
There are FA DTs that would be amazing next to Barmore but the going price is $19 to $20M and Godchaux is $10M. Justin Madubuike, Leonard Williams, Christian Wilkins, and Da'Quan Jones. Barmore will cost us $20M next year and I am not sure we will pay $40M a year for the two DT positions. I have no idea who we could get for about $10M to $12M a year like Godchaux.

Last edited:
ESPN keeps rolling a ticker about the Guy news and it mentions he was part of two championships with New England. Is someone going to tell them that’s false…? Only reason watching ESPN is for this Iowa State and Houston game by the way. F them and their regular coverage.
Only 2018 right? He got here 2017

Only 2018 right? He got here 2017
Correct, which isn’t inherently obvious for sure with knowing when he came over. Just would think the “Worldwide Leader” could do a quick 5 second fact check before rolling with that.

Wasn’t the run defense best in football? I’d imagine he played an important role.
Was that due to him? I just read somewhere he individually struggled this season.

Again, I didn’t say cut him for sure here

Was that due to him? I just read somewhere he individually struggled this season.

Again, I didn’t say cut him for sure here
First I’m hearing about him struggling. I find it hard to believe you can have a top ranked run defense with your NT struggling.

I think they'll definitely allocate some major capital to another DT. Jones probably won't ever get out of KC but there are other FA's, and of course, there's the draft.
Reported, Phillips was ready to move on due to his lack of playing time. Guy had a dispute with his contract last off season. Both men are great leaders, great people in the community just all around good guys. They both were great for us. I'm sure guy probably looks at retirement he's 33.

First I’m hearing about him struggling. I find it hard to believe you can have a top ranked run defense with your NT struggling.
Guy was actually a force against the run last season. I can see him retired, but also would not be shocked if he returned to the team on a 1 yr deal sort of like what happened with mills. We know these moves mayo made are all cap related. We will likely have better odds of signing cap casualties than what really available in FAs.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back