PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Laurence Maroney: A Smaller Bo Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaBruinz said:
Nothing like over-reacting to what is posted.

Gotta say, Keegs, that you whiffed on this big time.
it wasnt that hard to "get" . If you couldnt figure it out the first time u read it, id just give up.

the comparisons are stupid tho.

Does he remind u of Ki-Jana Carter too?? Because i bet they have a few things n common.

zippo59 said:
To be fair it was stated that Maroney and Jackson had similar running styles, not that Maroney was as good as Jackson.

Agreed. Ease up on the guy everybody. He's comparing styles, not claiming he's a hall of famer.

I'm sure he is going to be a very good ball carrier for us but I want to see him pick up the blitz like Dillon.

TomBradyWoot said:
Wow Bo Jackson before he ever plays an NFL game. So I guess come October he'll be similiar to Walter Payton? What a steal at 21 ;). I think he'll be a stud but lets not get carried away.

Almost as ridiculous as the "Mills is going to take Pass' job away this year posts".

The only thing they have in common is an upright heads up running style and speed to turn the corner. But Bo right now is a lot bigger and tougher and well a proven legend. Bo ran over guys as much as he ran away from them. I'll wait to see what Maroney does but in my opinion they seem like very different players. We'll have to see what happens first before we make such grand comparisons.

re

Keegs said:
the comparisons are stupid tho.

Does he remind u of Ki-Jana Carter too?? Because i bet they have a few things n common.

Keegs, I don't care about any other things they have in common. I said they have similar running styles. Are you one of those stubborn people who refuse to see the Brady-Montana parallels and similar playing styles?

Maroney - Loves to make one cut and fly. Bounces it outside frequently. Relies on his straight line speed, as well as short explosive cuts. Give him an opening, especially on sweeps or tosses, and he's gone. Sound like Bo? You bet. Just a smaller sized, slightly slower, but similarly styled runner.

Also, for all those people who are incredulous that I would say this before Maroney played a single professional game: I agree with you, it's way too early to say Maroney is the next Bo. I NEVER said he would be. At the same time, let's keep things in perspective. Here are Bo's stats during his 4-year tenure in the league:

7 games, 544 yards, 4td
10 games, 580 yards, 3td
11 games 950 yards, 4 td
10 games 698 yards, 5td
Lifetime average of 5.4 yards per carry.

Bo was explosive, and being a two sport player gave him amazing recognition and marketing exposure, but it's not insane to say Maroney could have better production in his first four years, surpassing Bo's career.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
Here are Bo's stats during his 4 years in the league:

7 games, 544 yards, 4td
10 games, 580 yards, 3td
11 games 950 yards, 4 td
10 games 698 yards, 5td
Lifetime average of 5.4 yards per carry.

wow, I didnt remember that he had so little yardage really. I was just a kid and was living in southern CA, but only remember him being absolutly amazing to watch whenever he touched the ball. did he only play football after the baseball season was over? it is a shame that he got hurt, he was a very special runner and athlete.

TomBradyWoot said:
Wow Bo Jackson before he ever plays an NFL game. So I guess come October he'll be similiar to Walter Payton? What a steal at 21 ;). I think he'll be a stud but lets not get carried away.

He should just retire now and enter the HOF.

maverick4 said:
Keegs, I don't care about any other things they have in common. I said they have similar running styles. Are you one of those stubborn people who refuse to see the Brady-Montana parallels and similar playing styles?

NO way. I'm one of those jerks that thinks Brady might be better. But i said this after last superbowl, not when he was drafted in the 6th round.

also, i was just having fun with it and thought it was a ridiculous comparison. You are entitled to your opinion. What was annoying was the people trying to defend what you were saying and taking it as serious as a heart attack.

re

Keegs said:
also, i was just having fun with it and thought it was a ridiculous comparison. You are entitled to your opinion.

But you're misunderstanding the comparison. I am saying they have similar preferences with where to try to run when they have the ball. I am not speculating on how similar their careers will be.

However, if you read a few posts above, you might agree that it won't be too difficult for Maroney to surpass Bo's career production.

shmessy said:
Almost as ridiculous as the "Mills is going to take Pass' job away this year posts".
Yeah. No relation bewteen the two. Even is Mills goes on IR during training camp, Pass still won't be on the 53 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back