PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Laurence Maroney: A Smaller Bo Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
Just two more months. Anyways, I just watched the YouTube clip of Bo Jackson that was in Bill Simmons' recent column. I forgot how special Bo was. It was a great video.

While I was watching the clip, I remembered seeing a similar running style from Maroney. So, I went back to see clips of Maroney. I feel that both players are eerily similar.

They both have amazing bursts of speed and are able to make quick cuts. They both love to cut it outside and outrun any defenders. Any time the ball is in their hands they can score from any point on the field. Obviously Bo was about 30 pounds heavier, but I see very similar styles of running.

Here are some clips. See for yourself, or propose a better comparable RB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8F6YWHOXaU&search=bo jackson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBbBY0tf6E&search=new england patriots

maverick4 said:
Just two more months. Anyways, I just watched the YouTube clip of Bo Jackson that was in Bill Simmons' recent column. I forgot how special Bo was. It was a great video.

While I was watching the clip, I remembered seeing a similar running style from Maroney. So, I went back to see clips of Maroney. I feel that both players are eerily similar.

They both have amazing bursts of speed and are able to make quick cuts. They both love to cut it outside and outrun any defenders. Any time the ball is in their hands they can score from any point on the field. Obviously Bo was about 30 pounds heavier, but I see very similar styles of running.

Here are some clips. See for yourself, or propose a better comparable RB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8F6YWHOXaU&search=bo jackson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBbBY0tf6E&search=new england patriots

Bo was a freak of nature as you suggested by pointing out the guy weighed 30 pounds more than Maroney and was still faster. You don't get too see very many Bo's in your lifetime. I think Maroney will be a fine back but if Bo didn't get injured and play baseball, he had the kind of stuff to be the best of all time. I like Maroney but I'm not ready to put him in Bo's class just yet.

im not either. looking at him, you can say a more explosive Clinton Portis, pre knee injury Edgerrin James, Kevin Jones. Im almost ready say that he should be put in comparsions to LT, Faulk like Bush and Williams have.. hes very fast, has lateral quickness and has shown good hands. Hes just about as big as LT, probably a little faster but not as strong but he hasnt played a down yet so its hard to say. If he can become a top 10 back in NFL in a few years..i will be 100% fine with that

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wl6ejbjpmu0&search=Marshall Faulk
kind of similar..expect Faulk danced around more but i would hate to compare him to a future HOF right now and hes from STL aswell..probably watched Faulk so much

Last edited:
I just hope his hip is more sturdy than Bo's and that the rest will take care of itself.

Wow Bo Jackson before he ever plays an NFL game. So I guess come October he'll be similiar to Walter Payton? What a steal at 21 ;). I think he'll be a stud but lets not get carried away.

I gotta see Maroney run thru defenders .... like Bo did. :)

can we see him play an NFL regular season game before we compare him to the beast known as Bo Jackson?

this is just getting ridiculous.

Chad Jackson reminds me of Jerry Rice.

Keegs said:
can we see him play an NFL regular season game before we compare him to the beast known as Bo Jackson?

this is just getting ridiculous.

Chad Jackson reminds me of Jerry Rice.

To be fair it was stated that Maroney and Jackson had similar running styles, not that Maroney was as good as Jackson.

Hey, Tom Brady reminded of us of Joe Montana in that summer of 01.
Right?

Nuts

I love the Patriots but comparing Maroney to Bo???!! Give me a break. Bo would have been the best of all time had he not been crippled.

bogey888 said:
I love the Patriots but comparing Maroney to Bo???!! Give me a break. Bo would have been the best of all time had he not been crippled.

I swear, can you people read? He was comparing their running styles. Like a flock of sheep, I swear.

I see the similiar running styles with the lightning quick change of direction. Maroney will be a handful for sure. I usually don't predict anything but I think Lawrence will be one of those special Patriots. If he can put on more weight and muscle and run with the power Bo did then I predict he will be an all-time great. Just my opinion ofcourse.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the moment I saw Maroney's reels I couldn't help but think of Chuck Foreman. Very similar up-right running style. Foreman was a tremendous receiver out of the backfield, one can only hope that the comparisons live up to the hype.

Richter said:
I swear, can you people read? He was comparing their running styles. Like a flock of sheep, I swear.
I don't care if you're comparing running styles or hair styles...Way too early and ridiculous to compare a college rb to Bo Jackson.

bogey888 said:
I don't care if you're comparing running styles or hair styles...Way too early and ridiculous to compare a college rb to Bo Jackson.

No, it's not. No one is comparing accomplishments (of which Maroney has none), they're just comparing the style of running. That's a valid comparison.

I am going to follow the same logic that the first post in this thread follows.

Well Lawrence Mahoney knows how to run pretty fast.

Thurman Thomas knew how to run pretty fast.

Im gonna have to say Mahoney is the next Thurman Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator:
re

Keegs said:

Thank you Keegs.

I'm quoting, this so that before you are able to edit your post, there will be a record on this board that you lack the ability to read or comprehend subtle points in posts.

I am not saying Maroney is the next Bo, and I am not speculating on his potential or his future statistics. I said the way they run is very similar. I also did not say they had the same body type. Read the original post.

R. I. F. - Reading is Fundamental.

Keegs said:

Nothing like over-reacting to what is posted.

Gotta say, Keegs, that you whiffed on this big time.

The things that I like in what I see in the linked vid (and others here: http://www.frales.com/ ) are:

1) patience to let the blocks develop
2) vision to pick the right hole
3) when he makes the decision to go, he is GONE.

Lastly, he loves the straight-arm

Check out the last big 80+yd run on the youtube vid: he just blew past the CBs

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call