PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Van Noy: Possibly back on the market?

Classic Belichick. Get a guy cheap for several years, let him go for 1 season and get a nice comp pick for it, then wait for him to get cut the next year and bring him back without affecting your comp picks since he was a cut player.

We are still in 2020. Van Noy will have what effect on his comp value for this year (will it effect our reputed fourth round pick for his being cut)?

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the 2019 Boogeymen were great vs weak opponents and pedestrian vs quality teams.
What I can't clearly recall is how the D was exploited by better teams.
I do remember RBs could turn the corner with ease.
Was lack of edge speed their main deficiency?

It's a near certainty he'll come back here because it makes too much sense. The team likes him, he had some great years here, and we are going to be one of the few teams who will be active out there.

The question is will he take 'end my career in NE' deal or is it going to be a 1 year deal (or a 2 year deal that we all know is 1 year) so he can try for that final big contract next year.

Just a note: The guy coaching him (and cutting him) in Miami is the guy who was his coordinator in New England. So that might be worth people looking into prior to tossing out the "sign the beast!" posts.
Oh wow, I was just gonna post “sign the beast”

I'm all for bringing him back if its a reasonable contract, but no thanks at some of the numbers I've seen bandied about.

He didn’t run his mouth at all. He said the Patriots talked sh!t during their win early in the season, so they paid them back. That’s not dissing the Patriots, that’s giving the sh.t they were talking right back to them.

He also clarified it saying it was mostly directed at Newton and not the guys he won SBs with.

We are still in 2020. Van Noy will have what effect on his comp value for this year (will it effect our reputed fourth round pick for his being cut)?
No, the formula uses the average yearly salary as the biggest computation, and 2020 is over, so nothing that happens after that would effect the comp pick. If he got cut before 10 games had been played in 2020, then he would not have counted.

Does bringing van noy back on the cheap, ****** the development of our youngsters like uche for exampl
No. Adding a guy with institutional knowledge of what the defense is supposed to do can only help when the rookies were learning their roles on the fly last season. Adding a veteran presence (High, KVN) beyond John Simon can only help in their development.

I would not mind us bringing him back but am ok if we don't. We need speed at LB.
Wouldn't mind seeing Matt Milano brought in as well...

I would not mind us bringing him back but am ok if we don't. We need speed at LB.
They added speed with Uche and Duggar last draft, and the draft is the place to add more speed, and I agree that they need to continue adding speed on both sides of the ball. Van Noy adds smarts and experience and he would clearly strengthen their from 7, That said he’s going to whomever pays him the most, as it’s either his last contract, or next to last.

Trying to figure out the motive for Miami cutting KVN. His production was fine, and the defense was among the year's best. No record of him being anything but a solid clubhouse leader. Some nagging injuries throughout the year, but nothing long-term debilitating that we know of.

Per overthecap, Miami has $31 million of cap room AFTER cutting Van Noy, so they were looking at about $21 million prior to KVN's release. Not bad considering the dire cap situation across the rest of the league. The team has clear needs at RB, WR, OB and OL, but those could be filled in the draft and with some smart FA signings.

The team did get surprising production from other pass rushers: Jerome Baker, Emmanuel Ogbah, Shaq Lawson, and some guy named Andrew Van Ginkel. Perhaps the team saw an inefficiency in their spending and decided the extra $10 million could be more effectively spent elsewhere. Or, they are gearing up to make a big move at QB?

In any case, I would welcome KVN at a much higher rate than being suggested. $8 - $10 million is fair market, and he will earn it on this defense. Adding Hightower AND Van Noy to this defense significantly improves this team.
Maybe his release has something to do with his injured hip. If it was just about money they would have tried to restructure his contract, which if rumors are correct they didn't.

BTW, this may be signaling that Miami are going to make a hard run at Watson or Wilson. I mean they do have the draft capital. If they got either guy they would need far more cap space than they had prior to cutting Van Noy.

It's a near certainty he'll come back here because it makes too much sense. The team likes him, he had some great years here, and we are going to be one of the few teams who will be active out there.

The question is will he take 'end my career in NE' deal or is it going to be a 1 year deal (or a 2 year deal that we all know is 1 year) so he can try for that final big contract next year.
It’s a good question. Idk if he will get another big contract. He will be 30 later this month. I think a big part of the reason his last deal was so big was because of his experience with Flores.

Hightower has also signaled he is open to an extension to lower his current hit. Maybe they can extend him 2 years and get KVN for 3 years to get the LBs in an OK place while they try to develop the younger guys.

Last edited:
Does bringing van noy back on the cheap, ****** the development of our youngsters like uche for example?

The pats usually rotate 3-4 EDGE players a season. Last year it was Simon, Winovich & Calhoun (Uche replaced Calhoun late).

Going from that group to Van Noy, Winovich & Uche is a big upgrade overall in talent & athleticism. The pats are going to have to add an OLB anyway regardless of the development of Winovich, Uche or Jennings.

If he is dirt cheap then fine but at this point I want to get younger. I want to see if Jennings and Uche can play. Let Hightower play the leadership role and see what the young guys have.

If he is dirt cheap then fine but at this point I want to get younger. I want to see if Jennings and Uche can play. Let Hightower play the leadership role and see what the young guys have.
You bring in Van Noy Milano and Judon if you can swing it absolutely.

The bitterness that I've read in the preceding drafts seems like a solid example of what this board has been slipping toward. So sad.

But as to KVN. He is a good but not not great player and in my opinion the archetype of the kind of player that we SHOULD be looking for...at the right price. But more importantly he is the kind of player that, due to the overall league cap situation, is going to be out there in NUMBERS this off season. A literal cornucopia of productive NFL players that will be available to teams at discount prices to teams that can fit them in.

So I chose to focus on the fact that a guy like KVN is let go by his team as a signal that he is going to be the rule rather than the exception. The middle of the road FA pool (solid NFL starters) is going to be deep. A plethora of good players that will improve rosters. (I know that was redundant, but I really wanted to be able to use "plethora" and "cornucopia" in the same post. ;) )

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back here, but I don't expect it to be before the draft UNLESS he was willing to sign a very team friendly like of contract.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back