PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft acknowledges drafting woes, says approach is changing

Na since you did not care to elaborate I will take that as a sign it's too much of an emotional topic for you. I mean what shall we say to appease you? BB is a trash head coach? I can't do that. The man is a very effective head coach and I think the entire NFL would would agree with that. Without a top tier QB BB is mortal. But without a reasonably talented team so is TB.

Like I said I give TB the majority of the credit for the NE accolades but BB is still a very good coach.

Dude, don't be that guy. As I've already posted in response to you:

You're not just giving BB his due. You're showing yourself to be another of the honks. The Patriots didn't win as much as they did because BB found that scrub who could take 5 snaps at LB. The Patriots won as much as they did because of the 199th pick of the 2000 NFL draft. That doesn't mean that BB is a crap coach, or even that he's not a top level all-time coach. It just means that the G.O.A.T. QB was the difference.

And anyone who saw what Brady did with the 2001, 2006, 2011, and/or 2013 teams, and even the 2019 team, should know that.

I don't know, we have never seen Brady on a team not coached by BB with a sub-par roster. Last year in TB that team was (and still is loaded). If they don't repeat or at least get to the NFCCG they will be considered underperforming. If Brady is smart, he should jump from team to team that has a great roster and keep winning SB's, instead of dealing with a rebuild in TB. maybe the Patriots will be ready for him next year with the TE's and add a #1 WR in the draft. Tom can finish out his career once the NEP are rebuilt??? Personally, I'm ready to move on, but Kraft and BB might be working the master plan as we speak.
That team was a 7-9 team that had not been to the playoffs in 10 years. Is that a great team to you? Brady didnt go to the chiefs. Tampa had not won a playoff game in 18 years. That is who Brady took to the superbowl and won. Brady took the biggest chance in his career going there and everyone doubted it would work, and he proved them wrong, and when he left the pats felt it, hard, and will until they can get another QB that can do even half of what he brought. So you can call a 7-9 team loaded if you want, but 7-9 is not a winning team.

Tend to agree for the most part. However TB gets it done in ways that are really only becoming apparent now. The fact of the matter is TB is really almost like another head coach. And one that has been playing football for 25 years. And one that has been studying the game that long. Not only that this head coach is a perfectionist and still actively plays football at the games most important position and can still sling it hard and accurate.

TB beats these other QB's off the field and not on the field. He has teams beat before he takes a step onto the field. That is what separates TB from the rest. It looks like "system" play or "good fortune" but really its Brady getting himself and his teammates ready to play every game day and then making virtually zero mental errors in the passing game with pinpoint accuracy and high velocity.
Being an elite QB does not mean you win all the time and it does not really have to do with what is around you. Rodgers is about Rodgers, he has had excuses made for him for so long that he believes it himself. I have seen the pats win superbowls with half the talent rodgers had around him last year, but rodgers talent is not enough, you have to be a leader, you have to put the team first, you have to keep working to make yourself better. Same with Brees. When Rodgers is ahead, he plays great, but if things break down and things get exposed he goes into a shell, he does not have that extra thing inside.

That team was a 7-9 team that had not been to the playoffs in 10 years. Is that a great team to you? Brady didnt go to the chiefs. Tampa had not won a playoff game in 18 years. That is who Brady took to the superbowl and won. Brady took the biggest chance in his career going there and everyone doubted it would work, and he proved them wrong, and when he left the pats felt it, hard, and will until they can get another QB that can do even half of what he brought. So you can call a 7-9 team loaded if you want, but 7-9 is not a winning team.
The "Tampa was loaded" position is laughable. What I think I like best about it is that there's often a pairing of people who argue "Brady went to a loaded team" with "But Brady only won after he brought a bunch of other talent along with him", "Rodgers would win more SBs, but he doesn't have the talent around him", "Russ can't win with that offensive line" and the like. It's also fun to listen to the Mahomes apologists, some of whom are the same people, trying to explain away Brady's taking him out of the playoffs multiple times, and with different teams with something other than, "It's Brady" (i.e. "But offsides!", "But injuries!).

Those are pretty much always good for a chuckle.

Well its been largely argued that they had raw talent and no leadership down there not to mention no top tier QB. I mean with Winston you are only going to get so far when he chucks 30 interceptions. It is a team sport and no QB does it a lone but we all know that without a QB you really don't have a shot at the SB. TB seemed to be the perfect fit for TB.

1) Talented roster
2) In need of leadership
3) In need of a top tier QB

Brady was the missing ingredient. Not to downplay Brady, as the man has earned his GOAT status easily but its definitely about having a top tier QB and a good roster to get it done. NE has usually had a good roster or an unusual roster with great schemes PLUS Brady which got them into the post season almost every year.

Well its been largely argued that they had raw talent and no leadership down there not to mention no top tier QB. I mean with Winston you are only going to get so far when he chucks 30 interceptions. It is a team sport and no QB does it a lone but we all know that without a QB you really don't have a shot at the SB. TB seemed to be the perfect fit for TB.

1) Talented roster
2) In need of leadership
3) In need of a top tier QB

Brady was the missing ingredient. Not to downplay Brady, as the man has earned his GOAT status easily but its definitely about having a top tier QB and a good roster to get it done. NE has usually had a good roster or an unusual roster with great schemes PLUS Brady which got them into the post season almost every year.
The thing is, that team didnt even know how to win. He brought that, its more than just having good stats, he brought them something they never had. I am not as sold on the scheme aspect I have seen games of the pats where I am screaming why they are running on 2nd and 11 or why are they doing this and that. A coach is a coach and players are players and I dont care if you are the greatest coach ever, without players, its useless. Brady got them all to believe who they were and what they could do and that is way more important than a 4000 yard passing season and going through the motions. I always said when Brady left the pats we were losing more than just a good QB.

The "Tampa was loaded" position is laughable. What I think I like best about it is that there's often a pairing of people who argue "Brady went to a loaded team" with "But Brady only won after he brought a bunch of other talent along with him", "Rodgers would win more SBs, but he doesn't have the talent around him", "Russ can't win with that offensive line" and the like. It's also fun to listen to the Mahomes apologists, some of whom are the same people, trying to explain away Brady's taking him out of the playoffs multiple times, and with different teams with something other than, "It's Brady" (i.e. "But offsides!", "But injuries!).

Those are pretty much always good for a chuckle.
Way more analysts and "experts" had Brady failing in Tampa. He cannot play in the deep ball system, their D is not good enough, their oline isnt good enough look at all the sacksl Winston took. Poor winston he never had a chance. Then when they did win, it reverted to, oh well of course Brady won, look at that roster. A QB can change a team completely on who they are and what they do, that is why the QB is the most important position on the field and I think at this point its pretty easy to say Brady is very important to a team and they do.

With that said I am new here and I do not want to upset folks. I tend to get a bit opinionated, but in no way will I ever say somebody else has a bad opinion. You will never hear that from me. I learn so much being in places like this and hearing all sides to discussions so I hope everyone can get along, we are all on the same side as fans.

Baby Jesus, please make it stop! The last thing we need on this site is yet ANOTHER Brady vs. Belichick discussion.

Spoiler alert: We’ve already read all of this sh*t multiple times over the past year. None of these takes are new or interesting. What will happen is all of of the biggest D-bag posters who masquerade as Pats fans will come out of the woodwork to bash BB and gargle Tommy’s freshly shorn balls. Don’t engage them. Elite-level d*ckheads like Deus will never, ever admit they are wrong, even when they are clearly wrong.

1617397466307.gif

Baby Jesus, please make it stop! The last thing we need on this site is yet ANOTHER Brady vs. Belichick discussion.

Spoiler alert: We’ve already read all of this sh*t multiple times over the past year. None of these tags are new or interesting. What will happen is all of of the biggest D-bag posters who masquerade as Pats fans will come out of the woodwork to bash BB and gargle Tommy’s freshly shorn balls. Don’t engage them. Elite-level d*ckheads like Deus will never, ever admit they are wrong, even when they are clearly wrong.

View attachment 31884
I might be wrong, but there are far more fans of other teams that hate Brady than Belichick. Comparing Brady and Belichick is silly, one is a player, one is a coach. They dont do the same thing, so I do not see a bill vs brady argument at all. I am not sure who is right and wrong, or even the question to be honest, but I do think everyone has the right to an opinion on things.

I might be wrong, but there are far more fans of other teams that hate Brady than Belichick. Comparing Brady and Belichick is silly, one is a player, one is a coach. They dont do the same thing, so I do not see a bill vs brady argument at all. I am not sure who is right and wrong, or even the question to be honest, but I do think everyone has the right to an opinion on things.

My point is that we have heard the same opinions over and over and over since January 2020 and few, if any, people have changed those opinions based upon the discussion. Also, you seemingly have not noticed that silly is what many posters on this site do best....and that is being kind.

My point is that we have heard the same opinions over and over and over since January 2020 and few, if any, people have changed those opinions based upon the discussion. Also, you seemingly have not noticed that silly is what many posters on this site do best....and that is being kind.
In all fairness this will be a topic of the ages.....like in 20 years time people will still be discussing this exact thing. So I mean I guess...get used to it?

And many of those fans that hate Brady are right here on Patsfans which is real weird. They hate Brady so much that any Pats fan that doesn't is instantly painted as being a Bucs fan or not a fan of the Patriots. They've gone to the extreme measure of trying to silence anyone that dares to criticize Bill the GM for his obvious mistakes that led to a 7-9 season.

Apparently there's a loyalty oath that unless you're a part of the group think, you're not allowed an opinion. A forum where everyone thinks the same way and says the same things isn't a forum at all, it's a Stepford wives echo chamber.

Sure they do. You just admitted it yourself. “Things got better for three years after that.” That was Reese’s tenure. The 2010 draft brought in an NFL Hall of Famer, a Pats HoFer, and someone who ended up being psychotic, but would have had a fine NFL career as a Move-TE were he not. That draft started the ball rolling on the current dynasty. Key players to said dynasty were drafted over the next 3 years until Reese left, Caserio got promoted, and the fountain of youth on the dynasty dried out.

I think it’s absurd to believe that the Director of Player Personnel didn’t give his input on all 3. He either liked them or didn’t bother to push back on BB enough. You can think it’s a coincidence that the drafts fell apart right around the time he became the main voice in the room if you wish. But the anecdotal evidence doesn’t support you.

I think we agree that it was bad drafting 2005-2008, then something changed for better from 2009-2012 and something changed for the worse from 2013-onward. I can see how you would think it's all Caserio. I just think it's a super coincidence 2013-now and 2005-2008, the worst drafting periods, exactly coincide with McDaniels as OC.

This says it all. Basically, from the article:
"Simply put, they felt like he was declining and that they could get another QB for less money. At the end of the day, the NFL is a business and Kraft had to make the best financial decision for his team." Be careful what you wish for Krafty.

Elite-level d*ckheads like Deus will never, ever admit they are wrong, even when they are clearly wrong.
I did not hit the "report" button but I should have. The so-called "Elite" level is reached by just about every d*ckhead poster ON Patsfans. This board did not start yesterday and we've been soaked in our own putrescent mental fungi for long enough that there are few posters here who could not be described in precisely the same way. This does your bete noire a disservice. The correct epithet is BOSS level d*ckhead. That is all.

Elite-level d*ckheads like Deus will never, ever admit they are wrong, even when they are clearly wrong.

Deus is not elite. He’s an assistant DA, which is the 3rd lowest level attorney there is behind personal injury attorneys and public defenders. But I’m sure he’ll tell you how smart he is....

Last edited:
Deus is not elite. He’s an assistant DA, which is the 3rd lowest level attorney there is behind personal injury attorneys and public defenders. But I’m sure he’ll tell you how smart he is....
Those guys are pretty smart on Law & Order

This says it all. Basically, from the article:
"Simply put, they felt like he was declining and that they could get another QB for less money. At the end of the day, the NFL is a business and Kraft had to make the best financial decision for his team." Be careful what you wish for Krafty.

Man I knew Brady was not declining just by watching him play. And I swear you can't find a more team friendly elite QB than Tom Brady. Zero loyalty. I guess they figured it was time for him to retire. Yeah that worked out well.

Dude, don't be that guy. As I've already posted in response to you:
I am not that guy. I really don't care. You are overly emotional and all infatuated with Tom Brady. And it makes you hyper aggressive and seeing sleights in the smallest things. I like Tom Brady too. I think he is the GOAT. But I can still remain rational. I really have said nothing controversial at all. BB is a great coach and Tom Brady is the GOAT. So I really don't get what you are doing.

Florio and Chris Simms both ecco a lot of stuff we’ve been talking about such as:

The “selling out” myth.
Who takes the blame?
Does Bill go rogue? Chris talks about what he saw Bill do during his two years there.
The “type” of players Bill puts too much value into which Chris believes is a reason they flame out. He briefly notes his concerns on how they scout players.
How it caused Brady to leave.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back