PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Kendrick Bourne Officially a Patriot

I watched a lot of this guy in SF. He makes a lot of tough catches to move the chains and was one of Jimmy G's favorite targets on 3rd down. He's not a world beater by any means, but he comes up big when his name is called upon.
Great hands as well. Also an excellent route runner. Not a burner, but is pretty shifty and is always open. I would’ve been better with this if they had signed Corey Davis and Bourne. Don’t like the Agholor signing.

Wow.... we got a guy who is slower than Harry.

He ran a 4.68 - 40 yard dash.

6.73 3 cone is pretty damn good.

I like Bourne. This might be my favorite signing.

I liked him in SF. And I’ll love him here. His style looks like a great fit here.

Wow.... we got a guy who is slower than Harry.

He ran a 4.68 - 40 yard dash.

Difference between Bourne and Harry is, Bourne is ALWAYS open, is a great route runner, and has great hands, he’s also very shifty.He not a burner, but he’s always open. Some guys are just always open. Kinda like Meyers, not a fast guy, but he knows how to beat his defender.

Reserving judgement. One thing is for sure our receiver situation is probably comfortably better. Not super but workable if both guys build off their last seasons. The offense is substantially improved but hard to get too happy with Cam as our QB.

Feels like they just wanted to get Cam some decent pieces in the passing game but didn’t blow their wad on a #1 knowing it won’t be worth it w/Cam at QB.

Last edited:
Wait a while...

After today his days here are numbered.
No reason to get rid of him. See if he can have a healthy season and realize his potential. Nothing to lose.

We need a QB first or our receivers don’t matter much. With a guy like Cam what is the point of a star receiver?
Extra blocking?

Not a huge fan of the players or the contracts at receiver but I’m a big fan of the effort to overhaul the receiver room. I could honestly say that Alabama’s receiver core was better than ours last year. At least this year we have NFL players.

I was viewing what they did today favorably. These two WRs are overpaid. They are going to enter another season without a #1 option in the passing game since Gronk declined.

Not sure how Bourne gets a sizeable contract in a depressed market.

So the season starts tomorrow?

With Edelman's situation in flux it seems like a good deal on paper. Lets see how it translates.
you know what, I wouldn't be shocked if Edelman suddenly started going deep. He's got that great turn speed that makes him dangerous, but he's also got really good straight line speed, and you can use his agility in more than 1 way. With Meyers and Bourne handling the midrange stuff. I could see them taking some pressure off Edelman by just sending him in a straight line on a few plays. IIRC we used Welker that way from time to time, and the only reason we haven't done the same with Edelman is he's been so damn productive in the slot role, not because he actually can't do it.

On the other hand, with our current quarterback, I think we're kidding ourselves if we think this team is aiming for deep passes all that often. Cam doesn't have the arm for it. A bunch of WRs to jam up the middle, especially if they bring some size and blocking ability, are a definite asset in the run game.

Apparently Bourne is an outstanding run-blocking WR

Also a strong part of Agholor's game.

Hmmmm
It's pretty clear to me that BB has decided that we'll make our yards on the ground. Everything I'm seeing from his acquisitions this offseason suggests a run first offensive scheme, maybe 60-40 run pass with some guys who can catch in a traffic to make sure we have SOME air game.

It's pretty clear to me that BB has decided that we'll make our yards on the ground. Everything I'm seeing from his acquisitions this offseason suggests a run first offensive scheme, maybe 60-40 run pass with some guys who can catch in a traffic to make sure we have SOME air game.
It’s kind of smart to build a ground and pound wear your out offense as most teams are giving up size for speed on defense to combat your KC type attacks. Just need that qb to bring it all together. (Cue the we had the qb but decided to get rid of him crowd)

How does he compare to meyers? Both possession receivers? More of a slot guy? Don't know much about him. But nearly 700 yards last season.

It’s kind of smart to build a ground and pound wear your out offense as most teams are giving up size for speed on defense to combat your KC type attacks. Just need that qb to bring it all together. (Cue the we had the qb but decided to get rid of him crowd)
It's more or less the same offensive style I was calling to be built around Jacoby Brissett earlier in the offseason.

I'd honestly rather have Brissett than Cam but I have nothing to base that on other than liking Brissett more than Cam.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back