PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keeping track of the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see I'm not the only who feels this way about the D....

Pats D played as well as you can reasonably expect in the 1st half and gave up just 9 pts. But -- due to just 4 plays -- they gave up 31 pts in the 2nd half, despite (IMO) playing just as reasonably well on D (...aside from those two TD plays).

Look at the drive chart; KCs 4 TD drives came on 3,4,3,1 plays:
Chiefs vs. Patriots - Play-By-Play - October 14, 2018 - ESPN

Really, the scary part is that I'd say both team's passing games were not as sharp as they could be, and both offenses still put up 40 pts.

I know 40 points look bad, but if we adjust for the Brady turnover and the kick return, the D held them under 30 pts. Patrick Mahomes stats should've been 3 ints.

That cuts both ways. Mahomes overthrew two wide-open receivers for TDs in the first half.

Howe credits Gilmore for 2/4 for 18 yards plus PBU against KC. He totals Gilmore on the season for 13/33, 124 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 7 PBUs and 3 flags. Since his return from concussion last year Gilmore's playing at a level that has me wondering who the best post-Ty Law corner in NE is: Gilmore right now or Revis in 2014. And I think I might be leaning towards Gilmore.

I give DMC credit for running down the kick returner after 97 yards. That was a good effort.

Even though Hunt had about a 10-yd head start, JMac caught up to him at about the 2-yard line. Had JMac reacted a step earlier, his speed might have prevented the TD.

Howe credits Gilmore for 2/4 for 18 yards plus PBU against KC. He totals Gilmore on the season for 13/33, 124 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 7 PBUs and 3 flags. Since his return from concussion last year Gilmore's playing at a level that has me wondering who the best post-Ty Law corner in NE is: Gilmore right now or Revis in 2014. And I think I might be leaning towards Gilmore.

Revis was playing with a much better supporting cast. Gilmore is playing with absolute trash next to and in front of him

Gilmore has been the best CB since Law hands down

As of Week 7:
  1. Points/Game - 18th
  2. YPG - 20th
  3. 3rd down % - 27th
  4. Net passing yards/attempt - 20th
  5. Net rushing yards/attempt - 21st
  6. TO % - 7th
Average = 19th

Opponent offensive rankings (PPG) - UPDATED THROUGH WEEK 6:
  1. Texans - 21st
  2. Jaguars - 29th
  3. Lions - 14th
  4. Dolphins - 22nd
  5. Colts - 13th
  6. Chiefs - 2nd
Average = 17th

Unsurprisingly, the stats and averages took a bit of a dip with the #2 offense in the NFL coming to town (Saints are up at #1 now).

I get that they have no pass rush but the run defense has been so disappointing. Gave up 2 picks for Shelton and he hasn't helped at all.

The Pats D has given up an average of 78 yards on the ground the past three weeks. I'm nit sure what's "so disappointing" about that. Also, with Brown out, Shelton had good game against the run Sunday night, and even got a pressure on Mahomes. He's still developing in his role.

The defense is still evolving (and the new individual players within it), but, for the past three games, the front-6 overall has been light-years better than the 2017 version. Shelton is still part of that.

"Gave up 2 picks" is true, but a bit misleading. They gave up a 2019 3rd (probably bottom 4), plus their 2018 5th. The worst that works out to is a late 3rd.

Agreed.

And given what I see now from the DL, I am OK with having given a the equivalent of a late 3rd for Shelton. At very least, he is needed when Brown is injured or not playing well.

The Pats D has given up an average of 78 yards on the ground the past three weeks. I'm nit sure what's "so disappointing" about that. Also, with Brown out, Shelton had good game against the run Sunday night, and even got a pressure on Mahomes. He's still developing in his role.

The defense is still evolving (and the new individual players within it), but, for the past three games, the front-6 overall has been light-years better than the 2017 version. Shelton is still part of that.

"Gave up 2 picks" is true, but a bit misleading. They gave up a 2019 3rd (probably bottom 4), plus their 2018 5th. The worst that works out to is a late 3rd.

That was a feckin Touchback.

The zebras throughout that playoff season were the most criminally incompetent in the Entire history of the NJFL.

The refereeing in Super Bowl 40 was on par with the replacement referee fiasco of 2012. I kept waiting for them to take the referee's mask off to reveal it was really Chuck Noll. Even Jerome Boger would have done a better job. That Super Bowl was such a hatchet job that it almost made me forget how poorly that Broncos/Pats game was called, the worst I've seen for a Patriots playoff game (too young for the roughing the passer game against the Raiders - which I'm sure if people saw for the first time today they'd ask what was wrong with the call, since the rules evolved in that direction 25 years later).

Gotta wonder if Fat Matt's 1/2 time adjusting would've been different than Flores's

Our halftime “adjustments” got worse for the first time since I can remember... honestly, I think the Pats just went with what worked in the first half and KC adjusted and put us on their heals. I love the idea of 2 game plans - one for the first half and one for the 2nd.

Our halftime “adjustments” got worse for the first time since I can remember... honestly, I think the Pats just went with what worked in the first half and KC adjusted and put us on their heals. I love the idea of 2 game plans - one for the first half and one for the 2nd.
I have no idea if Flores did or didn't make any adjustments, but what I do know is while Kelce and Watkins were pretty much under control, Hill and Hunt went wild.

Allowing Hill all those free releases and without accounting for him in each downfield zone was bad.

As of Week 7:
  1. Points/Game - 18th
  2. YPG - 20th
  3. 3rd down % - 27th
  4. Net passing yards/attempt - 20th
  5. Net rushing yards/attempt - 21st
  6. TO % - 7th
Average = 19th

Opponent offensive rankings (PPG) - UPDATED THROUGH WEEK 6:
  1. Texans - 21st
  2. Jaguars - 29th
  3. Lions - 14th
  4. Dolphins - 22nd
  5. Colts - 13th
  6. Chiefs - 2nd
Average = 17th

Unsurprisingly, the stats and averages took a bit of a dip with the #2 offense in the NFL coming to town (Saints are up at #1 now).

Seems to me what we're seeing right now is average results against average (combined) offenses, which leads me to believe this defense, at the moment, is average.

Hopefully they upgrade to good as the season goes on. I think we CAN win with this offense and an average defense, but I wouldn't bet any money on it. There's always at least one playoff game where the offense gets stymied and needs the D to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back