PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Justin Fields

If sf really is looking at jones , things will get very interesting. You may see the other 2 top tier qbs go soon after and you may also have an Aaron rodgers situation with one. Lots of these teams can go either way. But if someone we really like considerably more than the next qb tier is hanging around closer to 10 i say go for it.

It's kind of like taking all your money out of savings and betting it on 17 in roulette. Yeah, it's worth it if you hit, because you're set for life now, but if you miss, you don't even have a penny to try again.

Except you get new picks each year. And you can sign free agents. And undrafted free agents! There are tons of ways to add talent to the team. We way overrate first round picks. With QB, however, no price is too great if you get the right guy. Most of the big moves don't work out, true, but that shouldn't stop teams from continually trying to chase greatness.

He plays like neither of them. Best pro comp is Deshaun Watson without the massage fetish.

Now that you've made the connection, it raises a question: have Fields' reps come out and fully denied that he was with Watson during any of that?

If not, have the other NFL offices been informed that this has not been addressed?

He may fall right out of the first round!

I'd be quite happy to draft Fields if he somehow makes it past 1-2-3. Trade up. Throw future picks into the package. No price is too much if it secures the position long term.

What makes you think the 4th or 5th QB is a sure thing ? You'd blow multiple years of first rounders ?

What if we somehow land him? He looks talented no doubt but would he succeed in our system? Would he be the next Lamar Jackson or the next Dwayne Haskins? Mac Jones would be more what we are used to seeing in the Patriots system but I feel like Kyle Shanahan has his eyes on him at # 3.

Ain’t happening.....BB will go D or trade down

I think Mac Jones at 3 is a smoke screen and Fields goes then. If Fields is available after 4 then the Pats should look to get in front of Denver to draft Fields.

Why would SF spend that hefty draft capitol and then tell everyone who they moved up for.

The Jets could then take Jones (unlikely) but unless you have the 1st pick you don’t show your cards

My guess is it is a bluff. They take Fields

Why would SF spend that hefty draft capitol and then tell everyone who they moved up for.

The Jets could then take Jones (unlikely) but unless you have the 1st pick you don’t show your cards

My guess is it is a bluff. They take Fields

I honestly think they have genuine interest in him. Shanahan and Lynch went all the way down to Alabama to watch his pro day.

Fields isn’t a guy who relies on running. That’s one reason he has IMO a higher upside than most mobile QBs. He will be a pocket passer who can run rather than a running qb who can pass from the pocket. The later is still good when the legs go.
Just like Brady

If we get to draft day and Fields is at 4, BB is trading up if the Falcons still own the pick at that time. Take it to the bank.

Urban Meyer on Justin Fields: 'Incredible leadership, character'​

If I was BillB, and Fields is available, I would say.... What the hell, I'm doing it!
;)

I honestly think they have genuine interest in him. Shanahan and Lynch went all the way down to Alabama to watch his pro day.
I have been wrong before. To not tip their hand they would need to see all the Top 5’s Pro Days.

I read an article where Saban said neither Shannahan or Lynch asked him any questions about Jones. But then again Saban said no one except for BB that ask’s him questions.

Just my gut. I would not tip my hand.

You never know. If someone said on this date in 2005 that Aaron Rodgers was going to be the 24th pick in the draft, you would have laughed even then. He fell from the #1 or 2 spot in the draft in most mocks to being the 24th pick in the draft. He is the extreme case, but there are a lot of sure fired top 3-5 picks in March and early April that drop well out of the top 10. Not saying Fields will be that guy, but it wouldn't shock me if he did.
Who was the ND QB that Mel Kiper was so high on, moaning throughout day one of the draft that teams were missing out on the best player available as he fell down to the bottom of the 1st round, then turned out to be a total bust in the NFL? One has to be cautious of "expert" opinions.

We need to pass on “one read” qb’s like fields, aka Dwayne Haskins part 2.

Yes, he will get a lot of yards with his legs and some passing yards with wide zone plays, but when he has to drop back and read defenses, he will have troubles.

maybe with enough work some offensive coordinator can help him develop, but that puts him in the boom or bust category with lance!

I can not see trading up for such a risk!

The "one read QB" diagnosis has been thoroughly debunked with film study. He was more successful than almost all other draftable QBs in completions to secondary and tertiary targets.

Just my gut. I would not tip my hand.

With the 3rd pick, it doesn't matter in my view...Lawrence and Wilson are gone at 1 and 2 so they can tip their hand all they want.

We need to pass on “one read” qb’s like fields, aka Dwayne Haskins part 2.

Yes, he will get a lot of yards with his legs and some passing yards with wide zone plays, but when he has to drop back and read defenses, he will have troubles.

maybe with enough work some offensive coordinator can help him develop, but that puts him in the boom or bust category with lance!

I can not see trading up for such a risk!
Very unaware analysis. Where did you read it? Should delete that site.

The "one read QB" diagnosis has been thoroughly debunked with film study. He was more successful than almost all other draftable QBs in completions to secondary and tertiary targets.
We have no shot at Fields If he makes it past San Fran we would have to get in the top 5.

If sf really is looking at jones , things will get very interesting. You may see the other 2 top tier qbs go soon after and you may also have an Aaron rodgers situation with one. Lots of these teams can go either way. But if someone we really like considerably more than the next qb tier is hanging around closer to 10 i say go for it.
The thing to realize is those teams have a lot of needs. We appear to potentially be a QB away and it is by far our greatest weakness. People here are suggesting we, as the most QB needy team pass on these guys.
So there is no guarantee at all that teams like Atlanta, Denver, Carolina, Washington with many holes across there roster will pass up on other needs to draft a QB.
But they may, so we need to get into position to grab our guy and if it means trading up higher than we may have had to, so be it, because it’s a glaring need and a hole that could set the franchise back many years by not being filled.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back