PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just me or defensive scheme seem way better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know that any time the defense plays well it's because the other team's offense sucks. And anytime the offense plays well it's because the other team's defense blows. It's more commonly known as the Felger/Mazz explanation.

It was like the radio postgame, where they're talking about the Patriots 'surviving'.

That game was over at halftime. They played it smart in the 2nd half, possessed the ball, took away the Texans passing game, to run clock, and get out of there without injuries. Unfortunately, someone took a dive at Jeremy Hill when Gronk thought he carrying a loaf of bread - but outside of that, avoided injuries, and not taking any chances with a team that's still trying to figure out who they are without Edelman, as well as incorporating a new defensive coordinator.

That's how most teams play with a lead. That's why point spreads are usually a touchdown or less.

We're just, used to 'foot on the throat' stuff these days, I guess.

This is just wrong. They RARELY blitzed if at all. Even on those rare occasions when they rushed 5 the fifth rusher lagged behind waiting for Watson to break contain.

No, based on my first look, there was very little difference in scheme. What WAS improved was the execution by the players who were rushing the passer PLUS the good coverage that gave them another second to apply pressure. Claybourn, Flowers, Wise were simply better this year, along with the pressure up the middle provided by Brown, Shelton and Guy.

So don't think this was something totally different that Brian Flores miraculously put together. This was pretty much the same old/same old only executed much better. Also you have to factor in that the Pats had a full off season to build new keys and concepts to better defend that RPO style offense that a QB with the skill set Watson has has thrived in.

Now whether they can continue to do this vs better QB's and do it away from home is another question. But it's a long season and historically the Pats defense starts really slowly and gets better as the season goes on. So cautious optimism should be a realistic expectation.

Well said.
I've literally said they same all off-season.

Watching today our guys were more prepared in terms of preparation & execution. Wise, Flowers & Guy all stood out.

This was on the other side too. Houstons secondary looked like ours early on. No idea where each is supposed to be. Confused & missing simple hand offs. Their bracket on Gronk was bad, blew the high/low there. He was in their heads all day.

Game one...the win is GRAVY. This is all you can take from this game. They got a ton of tape to look over and make corrections moving forward. This team, if healthy is nowhere near where it will be by November. The new guys that flashed today should be bona fide by midseason. I think High will be phased out as the youmger backers gain more reps. I can also see the #2 corner position being upgraded in time.It's a weakness right now IMO. The DL played very well within the parameters of their scheme I thought, as opposed to last season's sieve.

Dorsett was 7-7....the whipping boy of Patsfans.com posters in the know.What happens when the Squirrel returns? I cannot wait.

Better players allow better schemes. We added Hightower, Shelton, Clayborne, and Bentley.

Not sure if this is just my amateur eyes watching the game, but did anyone else really enjoy watching this defense for first time in years? It seemed a lot different from the Patricia scheme, which tend to be very unaggresive and hope the quarterback makes a mistake. I didn’t see many guys wide open on the Texans, many “go ahead and take it if you want it” plays, and there seems to be a lot more consistent pressure up front. I’m sure there are disadvantages to this scheme as well, but today is sure seemed like the right defense.

I watched highlights from game one last year.

Lol

I don't think that Clayborn played all that many snaps. This wasn't really the type of game for him to optimize his presence, although he still had 2 QB hits.

Shelton had four solo tackles and was in on a few QB pressures that I saw. Not shabby for a guy who's primary role is to occupy blockers and eat space to free up others to do their thing - a largely "invisible" job.

But I agree that the new quality and rotational depth made as much difference as any tweaks there may have been to the scheme.
We used a different scheme/personnel grouping which I think/hope is a replacement for the 4 safety D.
Early we played a 3-3 with guy Shelton and brown on the line. I’m not sure hie frequency that we used in and I missed the late 3rd and all of the 4th to attend a wake.
But it seemed like that was the base package in he game plan.

Our front 4 really turned things on, I’m hoping this become the trend and the guys stay as healthy as possible.
I also agree it was good to see our defense holding their own for most part of the game.

We used a different scheme/personnel grouping which I think/hope is a replacement for the 4 safety D.

I think they mixed it up quite a bit as they used 3, 4 and 5 on the front - not so much on the back although they did did have hybrid Grigsby out there a couple times on third downs to shadow.

I'll be interested to see if there's more five next week to load up versus Fournette (although he was hurt so we may not even see him).

Remember the thread that took place in the past 10 days about how ineffective Malcolm Brown was???

Yesterday he played really well even though the box score shows he was only in on two tackles one solo... stats do not tell a complete story for DT's in this defense..

Is the D more "agressive" because of BB or because of Flores?? BB was not listening to Bon Jovi when Patricia was the coach... so not sure if it was about personnel or philosophy. Without regard welcome this change, but it could vary week to week dependent on the game plan.

Game one...the win is GRAVY. This is all you can take from this game. They got a ton of tape to look over and make corrections moving forward. This team, if healthy is nowhere near where it will be by November. The new guys that flashed today should be bona fide by midseason. I think High will be phased out as the youmger backers gain more reps. I can also see the #2 corner position being upgraded in time.It's a weakness right now IMO. The DL played very well within the parameters of their scheme I thought, as opposed to last season's sieve.

Dorsett was 7-7....the whipping boy of Patsfans.com posters in the know.What happens when the Squirrel returns? I cannot wait.

You said High will be phased out as the young backers get rolling. What am I missing here? Are you talking about Hightower, the guy that was injured last year which cost us a super bowl? The rest of your post makes sense and you have 4 agrees, what am I missing?

I’m not sure we’ll see a D like that again with the rules as they are now.

Man I loved watching Ty Law throwing WRs all over the place.

Nobody is suggesting that NE draw more PI calls.

Moving forward I will spell out in infinite detail the obvious points of a championship Belichick defense.

Joker, not your best post.
Hightower phased out? Wtf?
Cb2? Rowe played very well.

Hightower looked slow to me, Andy...in comparison to the other LB's.

Rowe was always a step or two off the play all night. The rest of the secondary looked very solid.

I saw the game live...haven't watched the replay yet. Perhaps my live viewing was biased.

Hightower looked slow to me, Andy...in comparison to the other LB's.

Rowe was always a step or two off the play all night. The rest of the secondary looked very solid.

I saw the game live...haven't watched the replay yet. Perhaps my live viewing was biased.

I'm glad you said this, if only to keep me from wondering if I was the only one who saw it this way. Anybody else see Hightower as a step slower and later than he has been?

I'm glad you said this, if only to keep me from wondering if I was the only one who saw it this way. Anybody else see Hightower as a step slower and later than he has been?

Yes, but right now I'm chalkin it up to rust and getting back. I'm not worried, I believe he'll regain his old form in a month or so. But it looked strange- because whenever he's been on the field, for most of his career- he's been obviously the best Pats defender. A difference-maker. Not worried but I'm keeping an eye on it. We need him at his best this year. This D has potential.

It’s like people forget Patricia won 2SBs as a defensive coordinator.

If he sucked so much I think Bill would’ve fired him.

Let’s go with the narrative that it was Patricia’s scheme/defense, belichick had to sign off on it. And he signed off on it for how many years?

Come on guys, use you’re head, Patricia wasn’t the problem last year

It’s like people forget Patricia won 2SBs as a defensive coordinator.

If he sucked so much I think Bill would’ve fired him.

Let’s go with the narrative that it was Patricia’s scheme/defense, belichick had to sign off on it. And he signed off on it for how many years?

Come on guys, use you’re head, Patricia wasn’t the problem last year

I agree as a principal. I will say though, the lions vs jets game defense looked suspiciously like ours in game one last year. Patricia is a great coach. Maybe the schemes are incomprehensible to players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents