PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just me or defensive scheme seem way better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out how to make this thread about Malcolm Butler.

I'm trying to figure out how to make this thread about Malcolm Butler.
How about this?

Times beaten deep this year.
Malcolm Butler. 1
All pats corners. 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it didn’t look good today but it seems like this happens every year

New England and the 2010-2018 welfare defense rolls on...

mid-2012 through 2016 was a marked improvement over the 2009-early 2012. Last year's defense was not good in spite of the top five points ranking. The book is still out on this year's version. Just like we shouldn't have overhyped it last week, we shouldn't be too down on it this week. We won't know what we really have on that side of the ball until mid to late October.

You're right about the improvement at some point...but man have these defences sucked the crud for a long time now, I like the d line though. The rest, besides Hightower (although he now seems really slow) and Gilmore suck kinda seriously suck! The D sucks period, not going anywhere this year, and if they win the superbowl this year with this crud I'll eat 5 dead crowa on YouTube, live too.

Maybe an Eric Reid type to play cover linebacker while also helping with the run? I don't know much about schemes and X's and O's admittedly. Just throwing that out there. The LBs look like they play hard but are always a step slow. Hopefully Hightower picks up a half-step as he gets more into the swing of things. He looks a little slower than I remember.

Well if the D picks up where it left off in the coming weeks. Flores will be here for a very long time... maybe too long.:D

You're right about the improvement at some point...but man have these defences sucked the crud for a long time now, I like the d line though. The rest, besides Hightower (although he now seems really slow) and Gilmore suck kinda seriously suck! The D sucks period, not going anywhere this year, and if they win the superbowl this year with this crud I'll eat 5 dead crowa on YouTube, live too.

The DL is part of the problem. When Flowers isn't on the field (injured or rotating out), it's an outright bad unit as far as contending teams go. Veteran busts/mediocrities and stop gap young players. Need high end DL play to hoist a Lombardi and this team has one guy who is above average and a bunch of guys who max out at average rotational player. Sorry but Malcom Brown, Adrian Clayborn and Danny Shelton are not high end pieces. They're name players but are often invisible or outright bad. Dietrich Wise and Adam Butler have flashed a bit but are rotational pieces who disappear more often than they flash.

Compare this line to the 2001-2004 or even 2014 lines and it's night and day in terms of overall talent. 2016 was similarly flawed but Branch/Long were better than Shelton/Clayborn and showed up big when it counted.

Just enough with this thread already. It’s belichicks defense. He picks the guy to run his defense. I wish this would be closed. No offense OP. I don’t think it was a bad thread just think it’s run it’s course

In addition, the patriots played against one of the worst offensive lines in football, and wasn’t will fuller hurt? Not exactly the greatest barometer to judge a defense.

Neither is 97 degree weather. Nor a game in week 2.

#2001 #2003#2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey