PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just considering Film and Production, Penix should be #3 QB taken

I have seen a lot of Penix' games, being on the west coast. He is a pocket passer baller. Good touch on the short stuff but really excels throwing mid to long darts, especially on third down. Especially in clutch situations. Those guys almost won the national championship!

He is famous for putting a towel over his head, not able to watch the other team on offence if the games is close. Really seems to love the game and is invested in the outcome.

As to his age, I think I would enjoy having a 28 year old on the 4th year of his rookie contract.

As to his injuries, I can't say, but he looked pretty good last year.

He makes more big time throws than anyone in this draft imo, but I don't trust our oline. Our shaky oline is half the reason I'm drawn to dual threat qbs like Jayden Daniels.
Our shaky oline is a major reason why I’m leery of Daniels.

Based on film I agree, he looks like the 3rd best QB on the board. He's a day 1 starter.

My concern (and this applies to both Daniels and Nix as well) is his age. A 24 year old should look like a man among boys in the college game, because he is. He had the unfair advantage of extreme physical maturity.

Any draft prospect is a projection of growth. Penix still has years before he reaches his athletic peak, but Maye and McCarthy each have 3 more years than him. How does that change a projection?

Here's a list of oldest 1 st round QBs. With the exception of Burrow, most peaked in their first few years.

Last edited:
Our shaky oline is a major reason why I’m leery of Daniels.
Cousins, Good Day.
Had a nice easy breakfast of two eggs over easy with shredded Vermont cheddar cheese infused, crisp hickory bacon and a generous slice of frosted blueberry breakfast cake with Starbucks hot cocoa and cranberry juice to start.

I am still of the mind set that one single player unless he is Pat Mahomes is going to change us into contenders.

I like the Vikings potential offer of #11, #23 a first in 2025 and a third in 2026. Ahh ...but let's change the blueprint.
I am going to offer the Cardinals that #11 and #23 for their $4 and #90 in the third.

Wait....there's more.

I am going to consider the offer to move up by the Broncos to get perhaps McCarthy at #4 for their #12 plus Pat Surtain (has been bandied about) and Garrett Bolles LT. This is the currencies that Payton might give up. With pick #12 I am going to go Penix. Is there that much separation of these QBS?

That would be a great Draft!

DW Toys

Cousins, Good Day.
Had a nice easy breakfast of two eggs over easy with shredded Vermont cheddar cheese infused, crisp hickory bacon and a generous slice of frosted blueberry breakfast cake with Starbucks hot cocoa and cranberry juice to start.

I am still of the mind set that one single player unless he is Pat Mahomes is going to change us into contenders.

I like the Vikings potential offer of #11, #23 a first in 2025 and a third in 2026. Ahh ...but let's change the blueprint.
I am going to offer the Cardinals that #11 and #23 for their $4 and #90 in the third.

Wait....there's more.

I am going to consider the offer to move up by the Broncos to get perhaps McCarthy at #4 for their #12 plus Pat Surtain (has been bandied about) and Garrett Bolles LT. This is the currencies that Payton might give up. With pick #12 I am going to go Penix. Is there that much separation of these QBS?

DW Toys
So were the eggs infused with cheddar or do you not understand how a comma works.
Should we take football advice from a man who has Hot Cocoa with breakfast, not so much…….

There’s five QBs that are easily worth a first rounder. Being an Oregon fan, it pains me to admit that a Huskie is so good. I like the guy. If we were to trade down for some reason, he’s one of the players that would make me feel ok about not picking at three.

I have seen a lot of Penix' games, being on the west coast. He is a pocket passer baller. Good touch on the short stuff but really excels throwing mid to long darts, especially on third down. Especially in clutch situations. Those guys almost won the national championship!

He is famous for putting a towel over his head, not able to watch the other team on offence if the games is close. Really seems to love the game and is invested in the outcome.

As to his age, I think I would enjoy having a 28 year old on the 4th year of his rookie contract.

As to his injuries, I can't say, but he looked pretty good last year.
Many folks seem to think that being young and immature are positive virtues and being a very old 23 with lots of starting experience is a disadvantage.

The film shows the premier QB of this class is Spencer Rattler. He had a total disaster at his South Carolina OL: 14 different starters. But he put the team on his shoulders in the SEC.

In a couple of years people are going to wonder why all these other QBs were drafted ahead of him.

Tony Eason comes up when you start researching this guy??!!
No ****ing way
Hard pass

Tony Eason comes up when you start researching this guy??!!
No ****ing way
Hard pass
Eason was a bit like Mac in that he started off pretty well and faded after dealing with NFL level punishment for a few seasons. The real connection between TE11 and MJ10 is the fact that they were both selected with the 15th pick in the first round. This means that the Pats should be good with any QB as long as he isn't selected with the 15th pick.

Cousins, Good Day.

Wait....there's more.

DW Toys

No thanks. You don’t win a Lombardi without a top QB and Penix is never going to be that. The goal is to win it all, not to just be good. Take the WB at 3 and build the offense around them.

No thanks. You don’t win a Lombardi without a top QB and Penix is never going to be that. The goal is to win it all, not to just be good. Take the WB at 3 and build the offense around them.
I don't know how you make that definitive statement about Penix without making it about every other QB in this class with equal confidence.

I don't know how you make that definitive statement about Penix without making it about every other QB in this class with equal confidence.

He’s a 24 year old pocket pssser with limited mobility and two torn ACL’s. And like everyone else I have my likes and dislikes for different players. Penix couldn’t handle Michigans defense and that really gave me a concern about him.

Also, in the end, I started thinking more about the fact that Daniels, nix, and Penix were 23, 24, 24 respectively, and that played very much in my decision to go with Maye over Daniels, and I really like Daniels. But to me that’s adults playing against kids, and it’s a big advantage imo, and a considerable factor in the final decision. I don believe Nix and Penix have the room for growth as players that the others have, so I wouldn’t use a first on them. I think 1st round QB’s need to have a franchise ceiling, and I just don’t believe they have that.Im sure many here disagree with that, but that’s how I see it.

Patriots meet with Penix! Yes... Yes... Yes...At least evaluate and talk to him about games, throws, recognition of defenses! Made my night!

Patriots meet with Penix! Yes... Yes... Yes...At least evaluate and talk to him about games, throws, recognition of defenses! Made my night!
Confused we did have Penix in for a meeting or your trying to materialize this?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back