PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
JE is on the VERY short list of my all-time favorite Patriots.
Ahead of Paul Revere.
Maybe even ahead of Sam Adams. That one's tough, I love me some Boston Lager.
No,seriously folks, I go back to the early 60's with this team. Jules is either #2 or #3. TB obviously #1, JE and Bruschi are the next 2.
Probably go with Troy Brown and Gronk next.
Wow, for an old fart, I got a bad case of recency bias. So sue me, mfers.

Edelman has amassed his numbers in basically 5 playoff runs (a few in 09 and 10, really nothing in 11 and 12, and he missed 17. So it is not really volume of games. Averaging about 7 catches a game.

His stats belie how much he's meant to this team.

thumbs-up-to-e654gg.jpg

His stats don't begin to say what he has meant.

It’s crazy that the guy who has his role before, welker never got a ring and Edelman has 2.

What makes that even more interesting to me is that, even with the lost seasons of 2008 and 2009 (Brady ACL followed by Welker ACL), Welker might well be 3 plays away from 3 SB wins.

Tyree catch
Brady knee injury
@#$%&**# drop or Manningham catch in 2011

He’s gonna get stiffed by the Hall of Fame because he doesn’t have the regular season numbers unless he plays at an elite level for a few more years.
Playoff and Super Bowl heroics and clutchness count for a lot in the HOF

Edelman >> Welker
Bill was getting tired of welker. He straight up told him he was being replaced during the game. Edelman would have made that catch in Sb 46

Edelman is definitely one of the most clutch WRs in playoff history and should deserve consideration.

Unfortunately his PED suspension may end up keeping him out, whether we agree or not.

I don't know. Edelman might have three rings after this season - more than anybody mentioned above. He's a likable version of Curt Schilling.

Curt Schilling had back to back seasons with 300 strikeouts and finished runner up for the Cy Young Award three times. He exceeds statistical Hall of Fame standards for entry, and multiple pitchers to whom he compares favorably have gotten in over the last few years. He will get his due soon.

As @primetime has stated more thoroughly than I in this thread, Edelman doesn't have a similar resume. He's been elected to zero Pro Bowls (Schilling was 6-time All-Star) and isn't in the same class statistically as the numerous other candidates he will be up against. Jules is incredibly clutch, one of the best punt returners ever and one of the truly memorable players from the run the team is on. My fondness for these two athletes isn't close, but while Schilling is a clown, he's a clown that belongs in that museum. This is Bruschi redux.

Edelman has zero chance of making the HOF in Canton but an excellent chance at Pats HOF.

Excelllent -chance- at the Pats HoF??? He's as close to an absolute lock as you will ever find.

Curt Schilling had back to back seasons with 300 strikeouts and finished runner up for the Cy Young Award three times. He exceeds statistical Hall of Fame standards for entry, and multiple pitchers to whom he compares favorably have gotten in over the last few years. He will get his due soon.

As @primetime has stated more thoroughly than I in this thread, Edelman doesn't have a similar resume. He's been elected to zero Pro Bowls (Schilling was 6-time All-Star) and isn't in the same class statistically as the numerous other candidates he will be up against. Jules is incredibly clutch, one of the best punt returners ever and one of the truly memorable players from the run the team is on. My fondness for these two athletes isn't close, but while Schilling is a clown, he's a clown that belongs in that museum. This is Bruschi redux.

I agree on Schilling. He deserved to go in ahead of Mike Mussina, IMHO. I like Mussina and his durability, but he didn't lead a pitching staff the way Schilling did with Arizona and Boston in the post-season. Pedro and Randy Johnson are in. Neither gets the rings they have without Schilling dominating on their days off in the post-season.

Maybe they should have a slot receiver category for the Pro Bowl. Every team has guys who line up primarily inside the wideouts now. It's not really fair for primarily slot receivers to be judged in the same category as pure wideouts. Tight Ends have their own category. Gronk is going to be judged as a TE, but he lines up all over the formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft