PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll never even sniff being a finalist. There are a lot of wide receivers over him. Isaac Bruce is a finalist and should make it eventually, but he could be waiting. Hines Ward and Torry Holt were semifinalists and didn't make the top-10. Reggie Wayne is up in 2020 and will wait a few years. Megatron will be a first ballot in 2021 I assume. Welker becomes eligible in 2021, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, and Anquan Boldin become eligible in 2022. Then figure if Edelman's got a couple years left, he's competing against Larry Fitzgerald, Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, even Doug Baldwin and AJ Green. All of those guys have had better careers than Edelman. He's very unlikely to catch Rice's records.
Nice that the media is talking about him being a HOF'er, which is a sign of respect. But I agree with you, there's no way he get a bust in Canton.

On another note, I just ordered my wife an #11 jersey. He's the man.

He'll never even sniff being a finalist. There are a lot of wide receivers over him. Isaac Bruce is a finalist and should make it eventually, but he could be waiting. Hines Ward and Torry Holt were semifinalists and didn't make the top-10. Reggie Wayne is up in 2020 and will wait a few years. Megatron will be a first ballot in 2021 I assume. Welker becomes eligible in 2021, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, and Anquan Boldin become eligible in 2022. Then figure if Edelman's got a couple years left, he's competing against Larry Fitzgerald, Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, even Doug Baldwin and AJ Green. All of those guys have had better careers than Edelman. He's very unlikely to catch Rice's playoff records, and even then he lacks the regular season excellence. He's never been a top-5 receiver in the NFL.

My point wasn't regular season success. It was playoff success. How many of those receivers have had more productive playoffs than Edelman? Who has more titles?

My point wasn't regular season success. It was playoff success. How many of those receivers have had more productive playoffs than Edelman? Who has more titles?

Hines Ward has 88 playoff receptions and 10 TDs (to Edelman's 5) and two Super Bowls and was a far more productive regular season player. He was not a finalist this year and is unlikely to be one for awhile. He is clearly a far superior candidate to Edelman and he will not be in the Hall of Fame any time in the near future. Aside from QBs, rings aren't a real big consideration for most players. Cliff Branch has three rings, three All-Pros, and stats superior to Edelman's in a less wide open era... and was only a semifinalist twice and never a finalist, and is unlikely to ever sniff HOF voting again.

Hines Ward has 88 playoff receptions and 10 TDs (to Edelman's 5) and two Super Bowls and was a far more productive regular season player. He was not a finalist this year and is unlikely to be one for awhile. He is clearly a far superior candidate to Edelman and he will not be in the Hall of Fame any time in the near future. Aside from QBs, rings aren't a real big consideration for most players.

Hines Ward should definitely be in there. Voters are very fickle though. The adoration they might show for Edelman and the elevation of his game in big moments vs the regular season will be a thing.

I'm not saying Edelman's a shoo-in, but if he does eventually get in, I won't be surprised.

Yeah

We'll know there hasn't been a fall off if he is extended.

He has played great, as has Gronk. It does NOT follow that there has been no fall off.

It's OK that a veteran isn't at his best ever; it really is.

What fall off do you see?

At worst there is a small up tick in drops, but he gets open about as automatic as ever. His blocking is there as always, one ST blunder aside, that has looked fine also.

He's a Patriot's HOF lock though. He's got Troy Brown/Bruschi type fan status. He's got the rings etc.. A HOF jacket would be just a side note on his resume.

I know Canton is more prestigious, but the Pats HOF will have more of his actual fans pass through and he'll be a bigger feature. Could be worse.

I'm not sure Megatron ever got to play in a playoff game. AJ Green lost everyone his was in.

(team sport)

He's not a Hall of Famer, won't even get a sniff like Welker will, and that's legitimate. Tremendous player but not an all-time great. Two thousand yard seasons and a career high of 7 TDs. The likes of Stevie Johnson, Amani Toomer, Joey Galloway, Donald Driver, and Terry Glenn were more prolific in the regular season and none of them are Hall of Famers. Compares to a Keenan McCardell with a shorter career or Pierre Garcon or someone like that.

Patriots HOF for sure though. His stats belie how much he's meant to this team.
Disagreed with the statement that he won’t even get a sniff. The mention by the announcers during the AFCCG telecast is a bellwether, good indication that he’s already gotten a sniff. If he has another big game in SBLIII he’ll get more. That double-clutch catch against Atlanta already put him on the map with a signature highlight. All he has to do is back it up with another performance comparable to that and the AFCCG and...

Definitely agree, do not disagree he is a Pats HoF lock.

I don't think he is going to get in at this point. It isn't impossible though.

He needs to do more but I do think his post season production can open the door.

Here is what JE needs: A superbowl MVP, 3,000 more regular season yards. To break Rice's reception record in the playoffs (Rice has 151, Edelman has 105). I think if he gets those things he can potentially get in. If he somehow break's Rice yard playoff mark he will get in for sure. That is a lot to ask though.

Edelman has 1271 and Rice has 2245 so that is 974 yards. He would need probably 9 more playoff games to have a chance after this one.

Last edited:
Anyone who disagrees is a self serving jerk

By this logic I suppose that James White is also a HOFer.

Edelman's recovery from the ACL surgery seems complete, or close to it. His foot may be something that bothers him from time to time, or it may have been just a one time coincidental sort of injury 'recurrence'. He's playing well, and should definitely be back next season.

In the meantime, if he could just have another great game, but this time without tipping any easy passes to the defenders, that would be great.

i'd say 4 more games at 8 avg so total of 137(ish) vs 151 (rice).

side note : jimmy white has more playoff receptions than AB :cool:

If Jules evens sniffs Rice’s playoff reception record (comes within 20 or so), I think he would have a real shot. It is not like these Pats teams are oozing with HOF contenders - some need to get in besides Brady and Gronk to document their excellence to future generations.

Jerry Rice has 151 receptions in the post-season to 105 for Edelman. That will take two more years of multiple playoff games at a minimum.

Gronk needs 1 TD to tie for 5th all-time in post-season TDs.

He'll never even sniff being a finalist. There are a lot of wide receivers over him. Isaac Bruce is a finalist and should make it eventually, but he could be waiting. Hines Ward and Torry Holt were semifinalists and didn't make the top-10. Reggie Wayne is up in 2020 and will wait a few years. Megatron will be a first ballot in 2021 I assume. Welker becomes eligible in 2021, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, and Anquan Boldin become eligible in 2022. Then figure if Edelman's got a couple years left, he's competing against Larry Fitzgerald, Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, even Doug Baldwin and AJ Green. All of those guys have had better careers than Edelman. He's very unlikely to catch Rice's playoff records, and even then he lacks the regular season excellence. He's never been a top-5 receiver in the NFL.

I don't know. Edelman might have three rings after this season - more than anybody mentioned above. He's a likable version of Curt Schilling.

Edelman is like 2nd ever in playoff yards

By this logic I suppose that James White is also a HOFer.

I guess. I mean, Edelman is 2nd in receptions and 3rd in yards, while JW is 39th in receptions and outside the top 50 in yards. However, if you want to perceive them the same, then by all means.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: ALP
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes