PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh's new toy: the death alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's also a hard worker, great teammate, etc. and was given every opportunity to succeed as a first-round pick. So the mystery is, why did Dorsett only average 24 catches for 309 yards over his first 4 seasons?
His catch % was 45% and 56% his first two years. He developed the good hands the last few years...

Phillip Dorsett Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
EDIT- Deus beat me to it, didn't see his post..

Dorset is reliable and does little things, he works very hard on his blocking in the running game.

Dorsett sucks. He never should have made the team. Zero ceiling.

:p

His catch % was 45% and 56% his first two years. He developed the good hands the last few years...

Phillip Dorsett Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
EDIT- Deus beat me to it, didn't see his post..

Pat McAfee once told a story on his podcast about Dorsett having the second best hands he has seen in practice during his time with the Colts. He regularly was making absolutely absurd catches.

Not surprising.

4 WRs, Brown, Gordon, Edelman, and Dorsett, with 1 RB, White or Burkhead.

We saw this a bit in Miami.

Other than with an overwhelming pass rush that gets there in under 2 seconds, how can this be defended?

Let's say you go man coverage, as people prefer to do vs. Brady.

With 6 DBs in the defense, two WRs are doubled, two have single coverage, and a linebacker is on White or Burkhead. Targeting the RB vs. a LB is like taking candy, but so is going to the most open of two WRs who are single-covered.

With a whopping 7 DBs, two WRs are doubled, two have single coverage, and a safety is on White or Burkhead. Running the ball vs. this light box is like taking candy, but so is going to the most open of two WRs who are single-covered.

I think that this lineup, when Brown is up to speed (assuming he stays on the roster) cannot be man-covered. It would have to be a zone scheme, but still requiring AT LEAST 6 DBs.

Brady loves targeting soft spots in zones. It could be epic.

Steelers fans disagree and say the zone will work next time

Would still like to see them throw an offer to Tampa for OJ Howard. He seems to be a disappointment in the eyes of Arians, and it doesn't really seem like he has a place in the offense. He could be a real long term weapon in NE if they can get him right.

I like how you think. I'd rather grab Brate though.

True. However, running against that is harder when you have 4 WR on the field, instead of 3 WR and Gronk.

So I'd go with 6 DB plus your best coverage LB. I'd match up this way:

CB1 on Edelman
CB2 on Brown with S help
CB3 on Gordon with S help
CB4 on Dorsett
LB on White

I mean it's not ideal, but hey you gotta do something. I'd also try to put as much pressure on Brady up the middle as possible, or attack NE's weakest OL with your best pass rusher. Hope to get to Brady and force some mistakes.

The real problem is that you also have to score against the Pats' defense, which so far has proved to be nearly impossible.

But we KNOW that the Patriots aren't unbeatable. There will be a game this year when the Pats make some mistakes. Say, a Brady strip sack, a Brady tipped pass INT, two Ghost missed FG, a big play on special teams, and suddenly you're up 23-21 late in the game, hoping to hold the Pats off. That's probably what it's gonna take.

If you've got both safeties in double coverage, you draw play James White in the 5 v 5 matchup all day long.

Not to mention single-covering Edelman is suicide.

Steelers fans disagree and say the zone will work next time

It never works.

You beat Brady by rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage. Make Brady hold the ball.

Mouse Davis approves of this thread.

Regards,
Chris

If Tacko Fall doesn't make the Celtics we can sign him for a gadget red zone weapon.

4 WRs, Brown, Gordon, Edelman, and Dorsett, with 1 RB, White or Burkhead.

We saw this a bit in Miami.

Other than with an overwhelming pass rush that gets there in under 2 seconds, how can this be defended?
I hope we use the death alignment only a fraction of the time in the first half. Even if it stalls a few drives, running the football early helps to wear down teams even quicker and prevents their pass rush in the second half. The death alignment can then operate against a tired defense when it matters most.

Would still like to see them throw an offer to Tampa for OJ Howard. He seems to be a disappointment in the eyes of Arians, and it doesn't really seem like he has a place in the offense. He could be a real long term weapon in NE if they can get him right.
That wouldn't be a bad trade. I wonder, though, when Belichick will feel he's got enough reclamation projects for one season. It is tough to show guys like Gordon and Brown a better way of being a teammate and person when everyone who surrounds them is also struggling to be a better teammate and person.

I think that we should put Gronk's statement on his concussions in a sticky. I'm not rooting for him to come back.

and a rejuvenate Gronk a few weeks later: game over

Pat McAfee once told a story on his podcast about Dorsett having the second best hands he has seen in practice during his time with the Colts. He regularly was making absolutely absurd catches.

Not surprising.

I love his software.

I love his software.
I wonder what went wrong in Indy that we've slowly been correcting? Dorsett's practice play for the Colts sounds like it was infinitely better than his work on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back