PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Uche = Beast

This is how I envisioned it myself.

Uche is "small", yet fast. He's not a prototypical 3-4 OLB to me. I don't see him as an early downs edge setter just like Winowich is not that guy. Wino plays thin, so to speak. I am not sure how else to explain it, but they come off as 4-3DEs in a subrushing role, or a 3-4 WILL. Uche has the speed, but can he move in space in the right way? I guess we don't know yet, but I honestly don't see him like a Vrabel or Nink, where he's interested or could be successful in setting an edge like you have to have in that spot. They couldn't do it last year, especially in more of a 3-4 look, where in my opinion, that's the best run stopping formation I've seen BB deploy for this team. They didn't have a NT or proper OLBs, nor a weakside 3-4 DE opposite Guy. BB can align any formation he wants, but if you want to stop that run and isolate the QB a bit, the 3-4 is it. Now they have the personnel ( think), but I think it's interesting BB really hasn't deployed it. I haven't checked how many snaps Anderson got last week, but he got very few in Week 1 which confused me.

What do we expect if we show 2 DL and a light box?

Some curious tinkering is happening right now, which I guess shouldn't shock fans since BB does this every year. These are situations and extended tryouts to some degree.

Last edited:
You add Wino and Barmore to that group and we have a lot of good pass rushers on this team...it's no wonder why we've had so many pressures thus far. We'll need to keep that up.
Yes Ashley our defense is very very good

Yes Ashley our defense is very very good
We technically don't know that yet. But, it does appear the pieces can be there. As long as they keep chipping away at improvements, they should be good.

We technically don't know that yet. But, it does appear the pieces can be there. As long as they keep chipping away at improvements, they should be good.
We add Gilmore to the back end and we sure up that run defense a little and I think we're in really good shape!!!

We add Gilmore to the back end and we sure up that run defense a little and I think we're in really good shape!!!
What can be done about the run defense this year? All I can think of is less Godchaux and more Carl Davis.

What can be done about the run defense this year? All I can think of is less Godchaux and more Carl Davis.
Intersting question....What about moving Hightower inside along with Bentley(I noticed High was playing outside a lot last week) and see more of Davis on the interior.....I want to see more Uche on the field, not sure if that will help with our run d though.

Intersting question....What about moving Hightower inside along with Bentley(I noticed High was playing outside a lot last week) and see more of Davis on the interior.....I want to see more Uche on the field, not sure if that will help with our run d though.
It was only because Van Noy was out. I would use Uche next to Hightower at the WILL in a 3-4 look. See how he does there, and then use him like you'd use McClellin or Marquis Flowers on 3rds. Move him to show blitz, stunt him on a delayed blitz or use him to move out into the flat on RBs on 3rds. Something like that.

I think he's talented, but needs seasoning as a 3 down player. Only way to get that is to play him.

Hightower might have been playing outside more due to the absence of Van Noy, so maybe that's another way it could improve.

I hope BB doesn’t give uche the “wino” treatment for being great at pass rushing and enjoying free lancing to get the QB

I hope BB doesn’t give uche the “wino” treatment for being great at pass rushing and enjoying free lancing to get the QB
If Uche keeps getting to the qb like he has so far this year, he'll stay on the field for passing downs...he's too good to remove.

If Uche keeps getting to the qb like he has so far this year, he'll stay on the field for passing downs...he's too good to remove.
How many sacks will he end up with?

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Back