PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Uche = Beast

What can be done about the run defense this year? All I can think of is less Godchaux and more Carl Davis.
I like Davis, but I am not sure it makes sense to dump on Godchaux quite yet. Also, I think Barmore may end up on the weakside DE in a 3-4 before the season ends.

A 3-4 teams need two NTs if at all possible.

Uche is on pace for 25.5 sacks. Of course it’s unlikely anyone will get there, but he has the talent to get at least 7 more for 10 on the season. That’s averaging .5 sack per game the rest of the season. I think he gets 12-14 assuming he stays healthy. He’s going to be a nuisance for QB’s.

He’s not a full time guy yet, but he reminds me of Shaq Barrett early in his career as a situational pass rusher in Denver.

I wasn’t high on him last year, but he’s really turned a corner. No pun intended.

Odd that bowser got more snaps last week than either uche or winovich?

judon on the injury report this week. If he has to miss the game, does bb bring bowser back up from the practice squad?

how long til winovich finds himself on the ir and bowser takes his spot on the 53?

Screenshot_20210923-083342_Instagram.jpg

Yes I know who the opponents were. But to that I say at least Judon and Uche have done what they were expected to do.

Sorry if my terminology is wrong. I try to learn about the game but still don’t know very much.
*edit* I felt bad I've been trying to answer this since yesterday morning but work and life got in the way.
I was just playing man. I talk a lot of **** but would never make fun of someone who's genuinely trying to discuss, learn or just talk about football. Its only sports not that important. I'm constantly asking questions and bothering people smarter than me trying to learn.
I think a shuck is a push off of an OL’s hand/arm during the rush. Sometimes two hands are used. It’s the “quick swipe” you’re referring to, or so I thought until you set me straight.
No it very well could be called another name and I just wasn't aware of it.
A rip is the DL use of an opposite shoulder and arm up and under the OL’s shoulder and arm so the DL can lever himself around the OL. Or at least I thought so, until I read your insightful analysis and explanation. Now I’m not so sure.
Yea I think we're on the same page here.

As you'll see hesitation plays a big part in Uche "winning" It really helps even the playing field in terms of weight, weight distribution etc He likes to get his man off balance and will play off it. He comes in hot like he's bull rush then takes advantage of his man trying to regain his balance and uses a."snatch" type move. Snatch is kind of how it sounds, kind of a push pull move. Offensive lineman mostly tackles use it as well in a "snatch n trap" Smith from the Cowboys has a good one. Slow motion helps a lot! Anyway you can see Uche's right hand kind of yank the tackle down even though he doesn't get a fistful of jersey

Around 53 you see what the hesi moves can do. They freeze, get you off balance, again this kind of even up the playing field. If you've ever heard of rushing 1/2 man, this is kind of the same thing. Attack half the man as opposed taking on the guy who's probably bigger than right down the middle. Just helps even the weight disadvantage among other things.

Here you'll see the double swipe followed by the rip. Again I think we're on the same page. I just think it looks like an uppercut kind of motion.

You really know a lot about football! After Patfranken, who has probably forgotten more than I’ll ever know, you might be the most knowledgeable person on the Board! Where did you play/coach DL/OL?
I actually never played a down of football in my life. Grew up playing hockey and basketball. I made it a point to follow just a few guys to really focus on certain things. I learned a ton from guys like Justis Mosqueda, Diante Lee, Charles McDonald and a few others. They did it the right way and really climbed the ladder. Younger guys that started coaching very young. Very very smart guys like PFK.

And again I ask a ton of questions. I really don't use Twitter anymore except to keep up with trends and find info. If you looked at my DM's though it's like 30 different ones. All asking different stuff. How does a LB fit the run in this coverage? What's the coaching points for this technique? I try to ask as many questions as I can.

Definitely, I believe we have a real keeper in Uche!!!

He's definitely looking like one now. Seems to be the only guy showing up on defense the last few weeks. If only Barmore hadn't been out the last 2 months.

Stop thinking he’s great. He’s one dimensional. He’s undersized but fast. So he can try to run around the backup LT. But he often gives up run containment—like in the near-TD run by the Bills QB.

He’s a nice piece for the defense on third down and long. That’s about it. He’s no Dont’a Hightower.

Still very much a work in progress in pass coverage and a liability in the run game.

The same story for years now.

One of the few bright spots last night, and the season in general.

Nice to see him starting to come on. I just hope Judon isn't fading on the other side.

Playing really well this past month. A difference maker rushing the qb!!!

Stop thinking he’s great. He’s one dimensional. He’s undersized but fast. So he can try to run around the backup LT. But he often gives up run containment—like in the near-TD run by the Bills QB.

He’s a nice piece for the defense on third down and long. That’s about it. He’s no Dont’a Hightower.

Still very much a work in progress in pass coverage and a liability in the run game.

Yep... Though I gotta admit: that strip-sack near the end of the first half was absolutely fabulous! In the words of Kirk HerbStreet, it was like conducting a Combine clinic... Other than that one play, however, yeah not much... He's still just a passing-down edge rusher offering little in run support and even less in coverage, but at least he's been available for every game this season, so he has that going for him... Which is nice...

p.s. Still not even close to being worthy of the 60th overall pick in his draft, nor of the trade-up made for the "opportunity" to take him there.

This guy really said "he's no Hightower" and then brought up pass coverage.

Uche is a pass rusher. Why would I care what he does in pass coverage? I don't care if he can't drop. And you can talk about "containment" or whatever but Uche actually has the speed where even if he gives up containment he isn't totally out of the play. Have seen him multiple times catch guys

PRP is a formula that combines sacks, hits and hurries relative to how many times they rush the passer (the higher the better)

Here are top 5 in the league

Uche- 13.3
Parsons- 11.9
Gary- 11.5
N. Bosa- 11.3
Z. Smith- 11.2

Must be a real bad time for you. Michigan potentially on their way to a National Title game. Michigan Alum, Uche emerging as the answer to the Pats problem of an edge rusher opposite Judon.

Wow, Captain, I am impressed, you are giving Uche praise!!!! This might be a first lol. You are getting soft and nicer as years go by. ;)

Hey, I mean that's how it's supposed to be done: the bend, the explosion around the corner, the tomahawk chop at the football... Textbook.

Dam shame our play-caller, QB & offensive Line proved utterly incapable of taking advantage of such a great play.

Last edited:
Backups or not, I'd rather have Uche gets sacks - than not get sacks. I think he ends with 7 or 8 on the season.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back