PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McD might succed Bill B

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm McDaniels' I would only agree to stay for an extended period as a coordinator if I had assurances in place. BB doesn't seem to have lost his passion and Tom is playing the best ball of his career. BB probably doesn't want to retire before the GOAT QB while he's still expanding his status as the GOAT HC.

Josh may be waiting close to another half decade for a HC gig if he stays. I'm starting to truly believe that Tom isn't going anywhere anytime soon, he only gets better, and he still bounces right back after some brutal hits. He's closer to 21 than 39. Give him a good OL and he'll play til he has arthritis.

I think it's great. Continuity has proven to be a key to success for all involved. Now we don't have to worry about Brady getting up to speed and in synch with another OC, and McD doesn't have to worry about going to another franchise and trying to break in a new QB. If McD stays on with his mentor, we have a greater likelihood of success going forward in the non-BB and TB era (perish the thought). It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Clearly they have no idea of the real plan. Belichick will be handing the keys over to his son in 5-10 years. When we say dynasty, we mean it, old school line of succession style.
He's got to get a haircut first, though...

At the very least, that means that he's going to stay on as OC for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure how that's anything BUT good news.

I just don't see JMcD as having the personality, the gravitas, to be a leader of an organization. A superb staffer, given an assigned job, yes. But a leader, no.

IIRC, a lot of this has to do with his wife. The last time he came back, after the Denver gig, he had made a mention in an interview about how his wife wanted continuity while their kids were growing up, going to school,etc. They bought a house nearby Gillette and put down roots.

Who knows? He might well have no problem with being an OC for the rest of his career. Some folks are like that. They find a niche where they like their environment, the responsibilities, hours, etc, and settle in. I'd have no problem with that, if that's what he wants.

He was god awful in Denver. I don't know how I feel about this. He destroyed that team and the locker room. Even other coaches hated working under him

I think the last 5 years or so have vindicated him somewhat. Everyone in Denver lost their minds because he couldn't make it work with Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler, who have since had locker room issues everywhere they've went, and in Cutler's case hasn't turned out to be anywhere near as good as his supporters thought he'd be. Cutler isn't good enough to be worth keeping around if he won't buy in, McDaniels just realized that a couple years before everyone else. The Bears wish they had McDaniels' foresight on that one.

Marshall, OTOH, is a genuine asset, but at the time he wasn't yet treating his borderline personality disorder, so it's hard to fault anyone else for him being essentially crazy.

I think the last 5 years or so have vindicated him somewhat. Everyone in Denver lost their minds because he couldn't make it work with Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler, who have since had locker room issues everywhere they've went, and in Cutler's case hasn't turned out to be anywhere near as good as his supporters thought he'd be. Cutler good enough to be worth keeping around if he won't buy in, McDaniels just realized that a couple years before everyone else.

Marshall, OTOH, is a genuine asset, but at the time he hadn't yet got around to treating his borderline personality disorder, so it's hard to fault anyone else for him being essentially crazy.

Cutler is the epitome of "Just good enough to get his coach fired".

We can do a hell of a lot worse. I'm in.

i wouldn't be shocked if BB/Brady retire at the same time.

I take this with a grain of salt, because i can see the leaks being a negotiation ploy for the next team

He was god awful in Denver. I don't know how I feel about this. He destroyed that team and the locker room. Even other coaches hated working under him
Yeah, the problem is , you look around the league, there arent any upcoming good coaches you want either. unless you pry -a harbaugh from college and who knows how long he will stay - the options are limited. One of the reasons the league is watered down in teams is because there are no great coaches.

I think the family side of this equation is bigger than most people think. It's been reported that family is very important to him, and THEY like it in NE. Obviously they had a horrible experience in Denver, not just as a HC, but as a family. When he had the chance to come back, he grabbed it with both hands and reestablished the roots they had set down early in his career. Remember the guy has 4 kids all under HS age.

The plusses of STAYING in Foxboro far outweigh the negatives of waiting for BB to retire.

1. I would make his wife and kids happier (happy wife, happy life)

2. He is being paid VERY well as an OC here

3. He can wait for 5 years for BB to retire and STILL be a HC at just 45

4. His best friend from college will be his GM

5. By staying he gets to be in a situation where there would be complete continuity. No need to establish a new culture, or teach a new language, or learn to deal with the many people in a football organization that you have to deal with that have nothing to do with x's and o's.

6. Why take a shot at going to another city HOPING you walk into a "patriot-like" situation, when you can walk into the real thing right here.....if you are just a little bit patient.

So when it comes down to it, why would he leave?

I see 2 jobs that could entice him Green Bay suddenly could be a option.
Arizona if Arians health is an issue.

He doesn't have a history of being a good head coach idk but Belichick won't retire for a long time so maybe Josh could be fit by then but I think the true future HC is Steve Belichick maybe Josh could get first since SB is still young and BB could become the GM

Belichick, pete carroll are among those that didn't have good first stints as HC.

On steve belichick - we know very little about his coaching ability at this point. But we do know josh is a very good offensive mind.

Josh McD probably got a good glimpse of how ****ed up that 49ers roster is yesterday and thought "Damn Chip, you can keep your lousy ass job."

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes