PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jones = Chad Pennington 2002?

Scouts are wrong. Without hyperbole I don't see why he can't be like 2001 Brady.

Mac has a way better deep ball than Chad ever did. He's an ultra hard worker and prepared for every single snap or defense or read. He's got quick side to side slides in the pocket.

Pennington, before his shoulder was busted up, was a very good QB. Even after, with the weakest arm in the league, he was smart enough to get by.

I'd be very FINE with that. Pennington came into the league with a mediocre arm and THEN had a serious arm injury that only made it worse. Yet still he was an effective if limited QB who knew how to run an offense. Think about it. The man had a winning record playing for the freakin' Jets and Dolphins of that era.. But this is the key comment from that article.

"But for Jones in New England, under Bill Belichick’s tutelage, a similar version of prime Pennington seems like the floor". And if that's the case, then I'm all in.

The article rehashes in 2002 Pennington had a 68% conpletion percentage, 22 TDs 6 ints. Not too far off from Brady's 2001 season. So I think this is totally doable for Mac either next year or a prorated version of this season.

i guess the article isn't an insult. Pre-injury Pennington wasn't bad at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, pre-injury Pennington was a good player. One of those headlines that looks like a burn but really isn't. Had no problem getting the ball to Randy Moss deep in college. Dude was just some combination of fragile and unlucky.

Scouts are wrong. Without hyperbole I don't see why he can't be like 2001 Brady.

Mac has a way better deep ball than Chad ever did. He's an ultra hard worker and prepared for every single snap or defense or read. He's got quick side to side slides in the pocket.
In terms of stats certainly. In therms of clutch under fire? He'll have to prove that on the field.

I have to admit I didn't know much about Jones because I didn't think we had a chance to get him but the more I read about the guy I'm really excited for the Patriots future at QB for the next few years, I think we got lucky he fell to us, maybe it's my homer glasses but I've read a lot of good things about him.

“a few scouts” have compared the two because of their accuracy, intelligence, and leadership.
thats actually something you would look for in a QB and if thats the floor, than the ceiling would be something like 6 rings in 19 years? :cool: :D

Injuries really took their tool on him, but I liked Chad. He was a very good player... and the QB of the two teams who kept the Pats out of the playoffs in 2002 and 2008.
Agree. Chad was a very good QB before his shoulder turned into junk.

Jones doesn't have a Josh Allen cannon but it's better than average. Should pick up a few MPHs with some mechanical improvements, weight and flexibility training.

That comparison crossed my mind for a brief moment sometime last week. I think Jones has a stronger arm, but it's still a pretty valid comparison imo. As funny as it sounds, the Jets are still trying (and failing) to replace him.

I'd be fine with that, Pennington was good, sadly his shoulder got wrecked though.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back