PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Injury News JOEJUAN OUT FOR THE YEAR

Just once I'd like to see the people that put this stuff out. Come out and defend it. Like I wish we got a little more specific. Here are his best games, best details to specific coverages. Here's who he faced and what they tried to do. Was he defending a WR1, 2 or 3? Primary read? Missed tackles? Was he covering Deebo or Kobi Meyers? All that matters.

PFF guys are something else though. They really think they sound smart talking like this ...

“Defense doesn’t matter as much” lol

He wasn't making the team, but he's now out for the year.

BB's embarrassing run of draft BUSTS continues!

DraftBust_Getty_Ringer.0.jpg

BB's embarrassing run of draft BUSTS continues!

DraftBust_Getty_Ringer.0.jpg
How are you liking the trade up for Barmore last year? I think that worked out or the Mac Jones pick...Could go on and on, let's not get into this debate here. Did he work out, no, let's move on. Not every pick is going to be great, and that goes for every team in the league.

How are you liking the trade up for Barmore last year? I think that worked out or the Mac Jones pick...Could go on and on, let's not get into this debate here. Did he work out, no, let's move on. Not every pick is going to be great, and that goes for every team in the league.
I've already gone on record saying that the 2021 draft class was BB's best in the past decade. He drafted his first pro bowl player in Mac Jones.
And who was the last pro bowler he took in the draft until Mac? Dont'ae Hightower in 2012!

One good year of drafting doesn't erase the fact that the previous 9+ years were pathetic and full of head-scratching picks like Joejuan Williams, Duke Dawson, Cyrus Jones, Jordan Richards, and of course N'Keal Harry.

“Defense doesn’t matter as much” lol
Yea they can't get out of their own way. I get what they're trying to say. Not to speak or stick up for then but offense does rule the day. To say such a blanket statement though is foolish. Today's game is all about situational football. 3rd & long, goal line, 4 min offense, tempo, turnovers etc So again to say defense doesn't matter is pretty silly.

The real crime is looking at a player like Tate & Myles and pretending their impact is close to the same. Garrett routinely gets doubled and triple teamed. Focal point of the opposing offense every single week. Game wrecker. Tate was a fine player but was a WR2 his entire career on his best days.

I really do like PFF and find some stuff useful but these dorks really ruin their rep.

I've already gone on record saying that the 2021 draft class was BB's best in the past decade. He drafted his first pro bowl player in Mac Jones.
And who was the last pro bowler he took in the draft until Mac? Dont'ae Hightower in 2012!

One good year of drafting doesn't erase the fact that the previous 9+ years were pathetic and full of head-scratching picks like Joejuan Williams, Duke Dawson, Cyrus Jones, Jordan Richards, and of course N'Keal Harry.
I looked into some recent drafts - who was available, who we picked, where i had them, where consensus boards had them etc. Fun exercise bc there's no hindsight considering both of us were on record at the time. Or at least very very little. I'll try to post it this weekend if I have time. Maybe after work today. Interesting to look back on and see what could have been. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's a critical time in the franchises history with Brady still winning SB but getting up there in age. And obviously a split behind the scenes.

Not meant to fuel the Bill & Brady debates. Just like to look back at that stuff.

I looked into some recent drafts - who was available, who we picked, where i had them, where consensus boards had them etc. Fun exercise bc there's no hindsight considering both of us were on record at the time. Or at least very very little. I'll try to post it this weekend if I have time. Maybe after work today. Interesting to look back on and see what could have been. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's a critical time in the franchises history with Brady still winning SB but getting up there in age. And obviously a split behind the scenes.

Not meant to fuel the Bill & Brady debates. Just like to look back at that stuff.

I appreciate this, and everything you do here.
At the same time, the amount of manufactured misery about previous drafts is just pollution on this site.
The last two drafts have been outstanding. Let's celebrate that.

I appreciate this, and everything you do here.
At the same time, the amount of manufactured misery about previous drafts is just pollution on this site.
The last two drafts have been outstanding. Let's celebrate that.
Yea I might not even post it bc both squads will be out in full effect by page two. I just think it's useful for other reasons (trends towards positions or schools for example) besides the obvious. Plus I think it's pretty good to talk about value and the best way to use those picks. Whether it's trading up for a surer thing or estabished current player. That discussion has become a lot more interesting imo.

Jaime Collins (drafted in 2013 and made Pro Bowl/All Pro in 2015) was the last guy on offense or defense.

I get it, the draft has had clunkers, but so does everyone else's draft.

"Pathetic"
would mean, what, bottom ten percent of all teams? IMO that's not justified, especially if you consider our draft position.

The best data set I can find is NFL Drafting Efficiency, 2010-2019 which is pretty cool because it lets you factor in draft position, since we have been a playoff team most seasons since 2001.

If you sort the third table by drafting over ten years (2010-2019) you find the Patriots were 8th, i.e. top quarter of the league.

Far from pathetic.

Then, ask yourself which of those teams had the best overall results over those ten years, and the debate is over.

If you say that it's due to that one sixth-round draft pick, you are proving my point.

1661009247545.png

So a guy got injured and it turned into a BB can't draft conversation.

COME ON MAN

More info on draft success overall:

And so only about 8% of draft picks are players that really make much of a difference beyond replacement value, and only about 30% see much playing time or make a significant contribution to the team.
That means among the 260 or so drafted players each year, only about 2-3 will have Hall of Fame caliber careers, and only about 21 will be undisputedly good picks- and very good but not HoF caliber players.
Overall, only about two dozen players every draft will go on to have significant careers performing at a high level. That’s not a lot - less than one genuinely good player per team each year.

I just don't get why so many people are butt-hurt when drafted players aren't that good, because most are not good, it's a fact.

Personally, I think a lot of people get a drug-like rush from all the hype surrounding the draft, then they crash back to earth when reality catches up with them.

Sober up, people!

Source:

Yea I might not even post it bc both squads will be out in full effect by page two. I just think it's useful for other reasons (trends towards positions or schools for example) besides the obvious. Plus I think it's pretty good to talk about value and the best way to use those picks. Whether it's trading up for a surer thing or estabished current player. That discussion has become a lot more interesting imo.
Maybe post it and lock it right away?

Would be interested to see how successful such "consensus boards" have been over time at predicting actual draft position and actual NFL-level performance.

The problem with looking back is we now have data on things that were simply not known back at draft time, like how a given player will be used by the team that drafts him, how that given player will adapt to NFL both on the field and off the field, etc.

Pretend that Jonathan Jones was a 2d round pick and Cyrus Jones was a UDFA and that JC Jackson was a 2d round pick and Duke Dawson was a UDFA and the 2016 and the 2018 drafts start to look a little better.

Pretend that Jonathan Jones was a 2d round pick and Cyrus Jones was a UDFA and that JC Jackson was a 2d round pick and Duke Dawson was a UDFA and the 2016 and the 2018 drafts start to look a little better.

Except that you still miss-out on a couple of talented prospects...

Also, stop focusing on the draft alone, it's not the only way to build a team:

1661014425192.png

Yep, that's the Patriots in the upper right hand corner.

Nobody got more value out of their investments than Belichick since 2013, with excellent value signings and trades for players such as Darrelle Revis, Julian Edelman, Jason McCourty, Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Martellus Bennett, Jabaal Sheard and Adrian Phillips.

Source:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back