PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JJ out for the season

Losing Gilmore and only getting a 6th for him was horrible roster management. I just can't see Bill paying Jackson top of the market. He is going to get huge offers in a league predicated on having a great corner. I hope I am wrong but past history tells me it is unlikely.
What past history tells you that? Belichick has always paid top dollar for top corners.

Aren’t you one of those guys who think the patriots suck and have no chance this year? Why would you want to keep Gilmore?
What do you think you get for an old injured corner?

Last edited:
Just think how much better we’d be with Michel and Gilmore….
Why? Was Michel able to run behind a line that couldn't open a hole? And was Gilmore able to play in any of the games we've played to date?

Slot corner is never held down by the glitzy, big money guys, but in this D, it's a critical position. It will be interesting to see how it's covered. Will Bethel play some there?

Our secondary is a mess. Mills is awful. Now Jones out. Maybe Bill pulls a trade this week?
Mills isn't awful. He's been playing with a hamstring injury. Have you EVER tried to run and change directions with a hamstring injury? The fact that he's out there at all says a lot about is toughness.

The Pats need 2 CBs currently.. One to replace Jones and someone to allow Mills to heal for a week or two.

Only a matter of time to see shaun wade

Gilmore coming back just in time for the Chargers game!!

We gotta dip in the FA IMO. Wade as much of a question mark as any Free Agent

EJ Gaines is out there, he was....not horrible right? Super fragile. IMO Poole is the best of the bunch and not a bad addition this far into the season, i guess.

But in any case, we saw how Richard Sherman who now might still better than anyone left available but is definetily smarter, has not grasped the Tampa's playbook hastily.

Tricky. This could be the thing that bites in the ass

We also need a CB...the only reason he made the trade was so that Jamie Collins could be signed. I’d much rather have Gilmore than Jamie Collins at this point…
No. That’s not true. Collins was not the reason, he was signed with part of the money, but we were down to about $11.
Would be nice to get Sean Wade back this week. The added depth will help.
Concerning that his concussion has sidelined him this long. Might be very serious.

*Googles Elijah Benton, Sean Davis and D'angelo Ross.*

Losing Gilmore and only getting a 6th for him was horrible roster management. I just can't see Bill paying Jackson top of the market. He is going to get huge offers in a league predicated on having a great corner. I hope I am wrong but past history tells me it is unlikely.
You made this ridiculous argument before and it was destroyed.

What do you think you are going to get for a nearly 32 year old INJURED CB who isn't likely to suit up for half the season?
Not to mention that Gilmore wants a new contract in the $16M/Season range?

If Gilmore stayed without an extension and played out the contract, I bet you think they'd get a 3rd round comp. WRONG. Because Gilmore would have 10+ years in the league, the MOST the Pats would get is a 5th round comp.. And that is only if someone payed top dollar for a CB who played less than half a season.

I can and do see the Patriots franchising Jackson. They've done this sort of thing in the past.
History tells us that you don't actually know what Belichick is going to do.

D-Mac went out with an abdomen issue. I have not hear anything on him. Wonder if it is serious.
Then you aren't paying attention. Several people mentioned in the Post Game thread that DMac was on the sidelines and laughing during the 2nd half of the game..

You made this ridiculous argument before and it was destroyed.

What do you think you are going to get for a nearly 32 year old INJURED CB who isn't likely to suit up for half the season?
Not to mention that Gilmore wants a new contract in the $16M/Season range?

If Gilmore stayed without an extension and played out the contract, I bet you think they'd get a 3rd round comp. WRONG. Because Gilmore would have 10+ years in the league, the MOST the Pats would get is a 5th round comp.. And that is only if someone payed top dollar for a CB who played less than half a season.

I can and do see the Patriots franchising Jackson. They've done this sort of thing in the past.
History tells us that you don't actually know what Belichick is going to do.
You are right, his value was very low

We shouldve traded him last season, when it was clear that Cam Newton would lead us to nothing and (by BBs own words) was a "rebuilding" year or whatever he called, and he wouldve net us much more than a 6th round pick.

No. That’s not true. Collins was not the reason, he was signed with part of the money, but we were down to about $11.

This is exactly what was reported by the press. The pats wanted Jamie Collins and had to make cap room to get him. They sign collins, and a few days later Gilmore is traded. The two transactions are linked.

This is exactly what was reported by the press. The pats wanted Jamie Collins and had to make cap room to get him. They sign collins, and a few days later Gilmore is traded. The two transactions are linked.
Well that’s not really true.
They had zero cap room and knew they needed to free up money. Gilmore was the way to get it.
Collins just happened to be the transaction that was the trigger. Saying they cut Gilmore to sign Collins is misleading because they would have had to do it whether Collins was available or not.
Collins was paid 836000

You are right, his value was very low

We shouldve traded him last season, when it was clear that Cam Newton would lead us to nothing and (by BBs own words) was a "rebuilding" year or whatever he called, and he wouldve net us much more than a 6th round pick.
If the Pats had traded him last season, the whiny brigade would have been screaming for Belichick's head on a platter. Accused him of tanking on purpose and all sorts of other garbage.

BTW, who is to say any team would have offered more than a 6th round pick last year for Gilmore.. Any hard proof or just media speculation?

Cheaping out on Gilmore was a bad move before, now disastrous. Trying to think of the last really porous Patriot secondary.
BB is not a 'full pay to the last day' kind of guy.

Numerous examples: McGuinest, Law, Milloy, Seymour, Revis, et al.

History has largely proven him right.

You miss something in the long term, but don't get sunk by big contracts that don't let you sign or keep younger talent.

We gotta dip in the FA IMO. Wade as much of a question mark as any Free Agent

EJ Gaines is out there, he was....not horrible right? Super fragile. IMO Poole is the best of the bunch and not a bad addition this far into the season, i guess.

But in any case, we saw how Richard Sherman who now might still better than anyone left available but is definetily smarter, has not grasped the Tampa's playbook hastily.

Tricky. This could be the thing that bites in the ass
DJ Hayden and/or Poole would be adequate signings..

Part of the issue for the Pats is that anything more than a min level contract will hamstring them or force them to start restructuring contracts..

Cheaping out on Gilmore was a bad move before, now disastrous. Trying to think of the last really porous Patriot secondary.
Except they didn't "cheap out on Gilmore". They needed the cap space to sign Collins. Maybe if you paid attention to @Miguel you'd know the Pats got tagged with money due to the retirements of Edelman and Allen and the retirement protection benefit that is in the CBA..

Trading Gilmore was the more expedient thing to do since it's looking more and more like Gilmore is going to play less than half a season IF he plays at all.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back