PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Garoppolo traded to SF for 2018 2nd round draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully we don't use it to draft Jordan Richards less athletic brother :'(

What about the d-line, o-line or WR area ? Those need immediate attention .

WOW! I just found out. My fraternity brother (Eagles fan) messaged me on facebook and told me. I've been glued to Assassin's Creed Origins. I am shocked! We only got a 2nd for him, but he wasn't going to be here next season anyway. BB will trade our own 2nd rounder for defensive help. Use the 2nd rounder we got and trade down during the draft to get more picks. Its the BB way!

Man I don't like this deal... Would it hurt to add a pass-rusher as well? Just a 2nd feels cheap

I think Jimmy is going to be a star, all the power to him in SF. At least he isn't close.

The timing is too odd though...I think BB feared losing JG for nothing

Also contract reason for sure . but this completes the info..

Well at least one question for next year is resolved - for better or worse. Now what will happen befor 4 tomorrow - could be nothing.

But then what was that business from Adam Shefter that the Patriots would not be trading Garoppolo even if they were offered four first round draft picks? Shefter is a friendly media vehicle for the Patriots. They'd have made him look awfully foolish if the Patriots had turned around and accepted one or two first rounders. For what it's worth, there was a Bears fan who claimed in the comments section of an NFL.com article on Garoppolo last Spring that someone in Garoppolo's immediate family had said that the Bears had offered the Patriots the #3 pick in this past year's draft, but that the Patriots had turned them down. This struck me as plausible when I read it because there had been a lot of talk coming from the Bears organization as to how the Bears were going to make a strong play for Garoppolo, but then we heard nothing about any offers from them, unlike Cleveland. As it stands, this deal makes no sense to me.

Schefter always emphasized that Garoppolo would be on the Patriots during training camp and wouldn't make any guarantees beyond that. That's why I had been speculating that Jimmy would be traded during camp when someone's QB wasn't working out. Obviously I was wrong there. But Schefter was right.

What about the d-line, o-line or WR area ? Those need immediate attention .

Anyway bill would trade a second rounder and a future 1rst rounder for a young pass rusher under contract.

Schefter always emphasized that Garoppolo would be on the Patriots during training camp and wouldn't make any guarantees beyond that. That's why I had been speculating that Jimmy would be traded during camp when someone's QB wasn't working out. Obviously I was wrong there. But Schefter was right.
He was right about draft day but wrong about their long term plans.

"Now, again, going forward, how is that going to operate and how is that going to work — will the Patriots risk losing Jimmy Garoppolo? My own sense is no. They are going to figure out a way one way or another to keep him there — whether that means signing him to an extension, or franchising him, or making it work. We’ll see how that plays out. I don’t think they are going to lose him. I don’t think they want to lose him. I think they recognize how good they think he is — many of us don’t know that right now because we haven’t seen him play on a consistent basis. They have. They’ve watched him practice. They’ve seen him in practice. They know what he is and isn’t capable of. They are big believers in him." - Schefter

I believe this is indicative of BB thinking 2 things: Jimmy wasn't going sign a backup QB contract, and also that this team isn't a SB roster. Otherwise I can't see him trading a player he believed could be the missing piece to a championship if TB12 goes down

Can we take on JPPs contract if a DE opposite Flowers is where we look?

He was right about draft day but wrong about their long term plans.

"Now, again, going forward, how is that going to operate and how is that going to work — will the Patriots risk losing Jimmy Garoppolo? My own sense is no. They are going to figure out a way one way or another to keep him there — whether that means signing him to an extension, or franchising him, or making it work. We’ll see how that plays out. I don’t think they are going to lose him. I don’t think they want to lose him. I think they recognize how good they think he is — many of us don’t know that right now because we haven’t seen him play on a consistent basis. They have. They’ve watched him practice. They’ve seen him in practice. They know what he is and isn’t capable of. They are big believers in him." - Schefter

Huh, I didn't remember that statement. I stand corrected then, thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes