PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G interesting stuff

I'd take JG back, provided he starts immediately on the TB12 Pliability Program

In fairness, we've never needed to for 20 years and the highest QB we drafted during that time was the best of the bunch (Jimmy). I do think it was a huge lack of foresight on Bill's part for the non-existent succession plan, but that's a different debate.

The point is we have our highest draft pick in years, with a decent QB draft class and the means to trade up if we wanted. I don't see Bill doing this of course but the option is there if he wants.
However the two so called can’t miss QBs will be gone.
Mac Jones has the ceiling of a a Joe Burrow floor is much scarier though.
Lance could be the Wildcard of this group a little Russell Wilson a little bit of Mahomes.
Here’s hoping the Jets pass on Wilson and he drops and we go get him.

Trade Jimmy to SF for Gilly and draft a QB.
I think you meant trade Gilly for Jimmy and still draft a QB. However I don’t want to draft a guy just to draft a guy if we can get Mac Jones in the second I’d be all for it.
What about trying to pry Jordan Love from Green Bay?

Everything I've read about Mac Jones is that he has big bust potential and #15 would be too high.

Patriots are kind of in no man's land for a top QB prospect

Any mid round prospects out there we should be keeping a eye on?
Anyone falling due to injury or lack of weapons?

I think you meant trade Gilly for Jimmy and still draft a QB. However I don’t want to draft a guy just to draft a guy if we can get Mac Jones in the second I’d be all for it.
What about trying to pry Jordan Love from Green Bay?
Yea i mistyped.

Agree- Need to be smart w/ the pick.

I'd be OK w Dr Love.

I'd be OK with Jimmy G. He has a quick release and is an accurate thrower.

Something we didn't have last year. We don't need Jimmy G to be a top 5 QB...just competent so we can lean on our power rushing offense, ST's, and D.

Why cant the Pats draft a QB? Brady was a fluke. Since him the rest of drafted QBs have been mediocre.

Other teams find QBs and draft them. Herbert looks good.
They can. The prospect they drafted was Jimmy G and he turned out solid for a 2nd rounder.

This. He is not coming back. The niners have made clear that they want to keep him.
Pats will have either Cam Newton Or Fitzmagic as their QB this year.
Its best too get use to this soon to avoid months of disappointment
Have we/the Pats given up on Stidham?

The funny thing about JG is that when he was traded there were fans here who thought that Bill was sending him off to SF to bring him back later, after Brady was done playing. My how times have changed.

Niners are going to look around just like carolina, the raiders, vikings and any other team who isn't happy with their QB. But in the end if there is no clear upgrade they aren't moving on. Jimmy isn't coming back here. Although he probably gets hurt again this year, niners take a step back and he's cut next summer.

Mariota is a possibility as well for the Patriots. Can throw better than cam newton and can run as well.
They would have to trade for Mariota.

SF knows that Jimmy is not the answer. Even when healthy, Jimmy was on a short leash. Shanahan would not trust Jimmy in the Super Bowl and had him run the clock out before the half with over 1 minute remaining. Playing scared and not to lose. When I saw that, I knew that KC would win. When the chips were down, Jimmy choked trying to bring SF back.

Jimmy 4th quarter drives
Punt
Punt
Downs
INT

Mahomes 4 quarter drives
TD
TD
TD
Downs

Belichick is stubborn and will bring Jimmy back to prove that Kraft was wrong. Jimmy is the Maroney of QBs. If the OP likes him he is guaranteed to suck.
True, but of JG and Kyle Shanahan, we saw one of them turn scared on play calling when they thought they had a Super Bowl wrapped up for the Falcons. I don’t think JG should get the majority of the blame for the end of this Super Bowl loss either.

I'd be OK with Jimmy G. He has a quick release and is an accurate thrower.

Something we didn't have last year. We don't need Jimmy G to be a top 5 QB...just competent so we can lean on our power rushing offense, ST's, and D.
I hope they can find a way to bring JG back.

And still pick a good young QB prospect so there's at least one on the roster.

Not a huge drop off from there other 2 QBs

Also, maybe BB gives them a good deal because while patsfans.com sits around with a corncob up it's azz wondering where BB is getting our QB......maybe he will do something to get back the QB he already had to be Brady's replacement.....before Brady demanded that QB go.

I'm convinced BB is keeping Cam and bringing in Jaboo. He can play them like Payton used Brees and Hill. Cam will come in for RPO plays and Jaboo can get flea flickers for deep passes like he did in Divisional game.

There's no way we get a top 10 QB. Not even top 15.

San Fran is in total “win now” mode. That means they need an upgrade at the qb spot. It is only a matter of time before San Fran and the Vikings figure out the draft picks to make a cousins/jimmy trade work.

that leaves bb with three free agent options:

1.) trubisky - game manager. 3 to 1 td to int ratio. We might have to outbid Indy for him.
2.) brisset- game manager. 3 to 1 td to int ratio. Makes a lot of sense for us. Might have to outbid Carolina for him.
3.) newton - only if bb is beyond desperate. Might have to outbid Washington for him.

SF knows that Jimmy is not the answer. Even when healthy, Jimmy was on a short leash. Shanahan would not trust Jimmy in the Super Bowl and had him run the clock out before the half with over 1 minute remaining. Playing scared and not to lose. When I saw that, I knew that KC would win. When the chips were down, Jimmy choked trying to bring SF back.

Jimmy 4th quarter drives
Punt
Punt
Downs
INT

Mahomes 4 quarter drives
TD
TD
TD
Downs

Belichick is stubborn and will bring Jimmy back to prove that Kraft was wrong. Jimmy is the Maroney of QBs. If the OP likes him he is guaranteed to suck.
Hmmmm. Let’s unpack that a bit.

It’s true that Shanahan didn’t go for more points at the end of the first half. Loser mentality, which shouldn’t count against Garoppolo. They got the ball at the 20 with a minute left and the scored tied at 10. Two running plays made it a 3rd & 5 at the 20, at which point KC called a timeout. At that point, Shanahan DID trust him to throw, and it worked—JG completed a 20 yard pass to get to the 45 with 14 seconds left. Then SF called a timeout. Should have trusted his quarterback. Garoppolo then completed a 42 yard pass to the KC 13 to get into FG range. A sf penalty brought it back to the sf 34, so they took a knee to halftime. None of that reflects badly on JG.

OK, fast forward to the 4th quarter. SF led 20-10 with 6 minutes left. At that point Mahomes had no TDs and 2 picks. KC scored to make 20-17, after which SF went three & out. KC scored again, and Garoppolo got the ball back at the 15, down 4, with two minutes & change and the chance to be the hero. He quickly got SF to midfield with a 1st down. And then…he didn’t get the job done. No other way to say it. 3 incompletions and a sack, and that was all she wrote—KC got another to put it out of reach.

Point is, this is a guy that won his starts in NE, went to SF and won and brought his team to the Super Bowl. It’s no surprise Mahomes had dazzling 4th quarter stats, he’s one of the greats already. Garoppolo had to be great to beat him, and he wasn’t. He didn’t beat Mahomes in his first Super Bowl. But I don’t think that means he can't get it done in the future.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back