PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Suck -- 2017 Edition (Official): Countdown to Oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this weren't the Jets Suck thread, I'd say: don't make me laugh.

Go ahead. Make me laugh!

Lol, it surprised me too. I was thinking it'd be easy to go 1-15, but then I went through the roster. Doesn't take much going right to have a decent team. I'm not saying a contender, but a solid mid-tier team is possible.

I'll break it down later.

your "head" coach's last name evokes colonic imagery....your Revis "coup!" turned into a classic Jet "coup de disgrace"...you're relegated to hoping against all logic that "Hack" isn't really the hack the rest of the NFL knows he is...and you're once unstoppable "beasts!!!" defensive line rotation has , quite literally, shyt the bed...in fact the entire mattress factory...yet you persist with the Animal House redux....hysterical...

1oMqf-.gif

Last edited:
With McCown's banishment to NJ we have to wonder how their overall suckage will be affected. Does McCown suck enough to keep the Jests at the highest level of suckage?
The purest form of suckage is sustained mediocrity, at which the Green Beans have proven quite adept. They need to win from five to eight games. Right now, they appear on track for zero to four wins, which is extreme suckage.

The purest form of suckage is sustained mediocrity, at which the Green Beans have proven quite adept. They need to win from five to eight games. Right now, they appear on track for zero to four wins, which is extreme suckage.
Hey, they will win eight games. Over the next three years..

If this weren't the Jets Suck thread, I'd say: don't make me laugh.

Go ahead. Make me laugh!

Ok so lets break it down. In no way do I think the team, as it currently sits, could be a legit competitor for the playoffs. It would take a decent amount to go right to even be in the wildcard talk come mid December. But that's what sucks. That means odds are a couple things will go right, most things go wrong and we'll end up with 5 or 6 wins and screw over a decent draft pick next season.

Plan 1: Suck for Darnold. Cool with me.

All of the three QBs are bottom 5 guys. High quality vets have timely "injuries" and end up resting a whole bunch. All while 1st, 2nd and 3rd year guys are gaining valuable experience. The team secures a top 5 pick and gives whatever is necessary to trade up to #1 or #2 depending on what QB they want.

Plan 2: Hack or Petty turn out to actually be decent. Even better than Plan 1.

Take a minute and look at Hack here. Starts around the 10 minute mark.

Supposedly the plan was to have Hack sit no matter what last season since he was shell shocked in Penn State. So him not playing last season really isn't a knock. The Jets obviously felt good enough to draft him early in the 2nd for a reason. He does look to have a decent skillset to work with. That was a nicely placed TD pass.

So it all starts with decent QB play. If that happens, Plan 2 can continue, otherwise it's DOA. Whether or it's Hack, Petty or McCown.

Then...

Oline: Not bad and/but very young. the Guards are good. RT is young but promising. Center is a huge downgrade from Mangold obviously, but still at least serviceable. LT is the big problem. We have at least 2 floaters now that are solid backups at LT. One would have to step it up a notch for this plan to succeed.
Overall: C+ until a LT proves worthy.

WRs:
Sucks losing Marshall. But Quincy is ready to be a top notch #2 or even low #1.

See here:

Decker, if the fairy can ever stay healthy, is basically the same. A top #2, low end #1. Those two could be tough to defend with decent QB play. Then there are like 4 younger up and coming guys. Probably led by Robbie Anderson as the speedy/hungry kid. And don't forget Devin Smith who was a complete waste with that piece of **** Fitz at QB.
Overall: B if Decker can stay healthy.

TE:
ASJ has talent, but until he gets his head on straight... Quincy and Decker are strong WRs who can block I suppose.
Overall: F

RB:
Powell is pretty good but has yet to prove the ability to consistently be a quality RB week in and out over the whole season. Forte? Obviously a great veteran but will likely have to be used cautiously so he doesn't burn out.
Overall: B-

Dline:
Supposedly Wilk is a little chubby at the moment and I'm curious to see what happens with Sheldon. Regardless...
Overall: A

LBs:
Probably the most exciting group given the youth here (excluding Harris). Lee and Jenkins entering their second years. Mauldin entering his 3rd. And of course the old dog Harris leading the defense.
Overall: B- but can fluctuate easily if Harris slows down anymore or if the young kids step up.

Secondary:
The Claiborne pickup was big, and also one of the things that'd have to go right for the team to be decent. Before getting hurt last season, PFF had him ranked as a top 10 CB. I even noticed him a bit as I watched Dallas games rooting Zeke on as my fantasy RB. Kid definitely has the skills. Skrine at Nickle CB is at least average. Leaving #2 CB as the question mark. However Williams and Burris are two younger guys who showed some promise last season.
Calvin Pryor has had one good year out of three so far at SS and I still like the guy. Gilchrist is probably the weak link, but that may have been due to injury. The draft could come into play here.
Overall: B- if Claiborne is good.

Which then leads to the draft. I'm not going to look beyond the first round now, even though an early 2nd rounder could definitely come in and contribute right away. So where do the Jets go in the 1st? Based on projections, I'm figuring Safety, RB, LB, CB, WR; in that order of likelihood. Any of which would start immediately and jump their corresponding group grades above by a full grade. (Maybe only half a grade for LB since replacing Harris as defensive leader would be tough.)

So yeah, it is entirely possible to suck for Darnold in 2018. But if one of the young QBs shows some promise, don't think it's hard to turn things up a notch. This team does have some very good young talent.

Last edited:
So based on the above assessment, the Jets will not suck enough to get a top draft slot - and instead will continue to wallow in mediocrity indefinitely.

Bobby Layne's 1958 curse on the Detroit Lions will be broken before the Jets curse on the Jets ends.

What -- giving up already? I thought this was your time of year for optimism.

There is nothing more optimistic than finally getting a QB.

@JetFan79 deserves some credit for his consistency and foresight of the Jets and their gaffes. He recognizes this is a QB driven league, so you are probably better off going 2-14 than 5-11 in hopes of landing a franchise QB. Not every year has produced a stud QB that was an obvious high pick, but some very high QB picks have changed the fortunes of franchises. Newton and Ryan played in the last two SBs. Stafford isn't bad. Even Bradford looked good before his injury. Luck would likely be at least a postseason regular if it weren't for that joke support system. Mariota is looking very good. He has been consistent in saying your are better off bottoming out then going after some real ****tease QBs who have a 50% chance of going .500 and a 0% chance of being a real contender, like Cutler or Fitzpatrick.

It may be difficult to respect teams tanking for better draft capital, but (a) the Colts did it and no one cares, and (b) in the NBA it is an openly popular strategy; even Danny Ainge was willing to tank on hopes of landing a superstar to build the team around.

The problem with the Jets is they seem dysfunctional in many areas. Their hope would be landing a sure-fire franchise quarterback and then have a top coach/GM get on board.

So based on the above assessment, the Jets will not suck enough to get a top draft slot - and instead will continue to wallow in mediocrity indefinitely.

Bobby Layne's 1958 curse on the Detroit Lions will be broken before the Jets curse on the Jets ends.

Yup. Pretty much.

@JetFan79 deserves some credit for his consistency and foresight of the Jets and their gaffes. He recognizes this is a QB driven league, so you are probably better off going 2-14 than 5-11 in hopes of landing a franchise QB. Not every year has produced a stud QB that was an obvious high pick, but some very high QB picks have changed the fortunes of franchises. Newton and Ryan played in the last two SBs. Stafford isn't bad. Even Bradford looked good before his injury. Luck would likely be at least a postseason regular if it weren't for that joke support system. Mariota is looking very good. He has been consistent in saying your are better off bottoming out then going after some real ****tease QBs who have a 50% chance of going .500 and a 0% chance of being a real contender, like Cutler or Fitzpatrick.

It may be difficult to respect teams tanking for better draft capital, but (a) the Colts did it and no one cares, and (b) in the NBA it is an openly popular strategy; even Danny Ainge was willing to tank on hopes of landing a superstar to build the team around.

The problem with the Jets is they seem dysfunctional in many areas. Their hope would be landing a sure-fire franchise quarterback and then have a top coach/GM get on board.

This is the first year I'm accepting the possibility of tanking. It's a combination of being beaten into submission by decades of crap QBs, and the fact that next year's available QBs seem to be top notch. Unlike this year's draft.

Why spend years/decades fighting for mediocrity in a QB driven league w/o a QB? The Colts were smart. Time for the Jets to do the same.

If this was the 70s, 80s, or 90s? No way, don't tank. Build a great defense and running game.

Now though, it's all about QB. And with the rule changes, they can easily play into their 40s! Imagine getting Darnold. Think he'll be 20. That's 20 like years of having a good QB. You'd be set! Hell by then, the rules will probably even be more QB friendly.

Now you get flagged if a pinky grazes their helmet and you can tackle 'em hard. In 15 or 20 years, they will probably be wearing red jerseys and have to be gently held in order to sack them. Darnold could play into his 50s.

Last edited:

Another way of looking at it would be to ask how many teams are worse on paper, and I can't think of many.

Maybe SF or Chicago? With all of their draft picks the Browns should be improved.

Fortunately, if any of those other teams ended up with the top pick and Darnall looks like the next sure thing at QB, they aren't going to trade with the Rats, they will.pick the QB themselves.

For the Rats it's suck or bust.

Indeed, Tunescribe missed the point. It was a great post.
No, I didn't "miss the point." He said McCown brings "expertise" to the quarterback position and that's where I disagreed with him.

ex·per·tise
ˌekspərˈtēz,ˌekspərˈtēs/
noun
noun: expertise
expert skill or knowledge in a particular field.
"technical expertise"
synonyms: skill, skillfulness, expertness, prowess, proficiency, competence.

No, I didn't "miss the point." He said McCown brings "expertise" to the quarterback position and that's where I disagreed with him.

ex·per·tise
ˌekspərˈtēz,ˌekspərˈtēs/
noun
noun: expertise
expert skill or knowledge in a particular field.
"technical expertise"
synonyms: skill, skillfulness, expertness, prowess, proficiency, competence.

context
[kon-tekst]
noun
  1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect:
1355331549061.jpg

context
[kon-tekst]
noun
  1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect:
1355331549061.jpg
Is that a diagram of a McCown pass to a Green Beans wide receiver? Speaking of jokes ...

jokes2.jpg

This is the first year I'm accepting the possibility of tanking. It's a combination of being beaten into submission by decades of crap QBs, and the fact that next year's available QBs seem to be top notch. Unlike this year's draft.

Why spend years/decades fighting for mediocrity in a QB driven league w/o a QB? The Colts were smart. Time for the Jets to do the same.

If this was the 70s, 80s, or 90s? No way, don't tank. Build a great defense and running game.

Now though, it's all about QB. And with the rule changes, they can easily play into their 40s! Imagine getting Darnold. Think he'll be 20. That's 20 like years of having a good QB. You'd be set! Hell by then, the rules will probably even be more QB friendly.

Now you get flagged if a pinky grazes their helmet and you can tackle 'em hard. In 15 or 20 years, they will probably be wearing red jerseys and have to be gently held in order to sack them. Darnold could play into his 50s.

Yeah, I don't know about Darnold. Nothing specific against him. I've heard so many QBs being overhyped now one year before they are eligible for the draft. Every single year there is some enormously talented kid who is a sure fire Hall of Fame quarterback, until the next season when said player does not meet impossible expectations and then runs the gauntlet at the combine. He has thrown a grand total of 366 passes in his career. I'm telling you, there is no better quarterback in the history of the league than the one who not yet eligible to play in it. I remember talk about teams tanking for Jake Locker as the obvious best QB in a long time, and every year at about this time we hear about how next year's draft has a couple of no brainer top quarterbacks, as opposed to this one.

Not even "the great annointed one" Andrew Luck has come close to living up to his NFL projections...unless someone biased advanced analytics nerd/Luck apologist can really say with a straight face that through five years of his career, he is all they hoped him to be with a career passer rating of 87 and a completion percentage below 60.

I'm not saying you shouldn't draft the best rated quarterback (I've made the point above that it's the best way to go), just that there doesn't appear to be a sure thing anymore.

Yeah, I don't know about Darnold. Nothing specific against him. I've heard so many QBs being overhyped now one year before they are eligible for the draft. Every single year there is some enormously talented kid who is a sure fire Hall of Fame quarterback, until the next season when said player does not meet impossible expectations and then runs the gauntlet at the combine. He has thrown a grand total of 366 passes in his career. I'm telling you, there is no better quarterback in the history of the league than the one who not yet eligible to play in it. I remember talk about teams tanking for Jake Locker as the obvious best QB in a long time, and every year at about this time we hear about how next year's draft has a couple of no brainer top quarterbacks, as opposed to this one.

Not even "the great annointed one" Andrew Luck has come close to living up to his NFL projections...unless someone biased advanced analytics nerd/Luck apologist can really say with a straight face that through five years of his career, he is all they hoped him to be with a career passer rating of 87 and a completion percentage below 60.

I'm not saying you shouldn't draft the best rated quarterback (I've made the point above that it's the best way to go), just that there doesn't appear to be a sure thing anymore.

The Rats inability to find a QB goes beyond just the difficulty of finding one, it's recognizing what you have.

The Rats, like so many NY teams seem caught up in big names and making a big splash that they don't seem to have a clue about developing players or coaches. They want to hire the developed product once someone else has done the heavy lifting.

As much as Rats fans complain about the Pats getting lucky with Brady in the 6th round, and they did, since no one other than Bill Polian had him rated higher, the Pats still kept four QBs on the 53 man roster than risk losing him.

If the Rats had drafted Brady, Brady would be the GOAT for someone else, likely the Pats, since the Rats would have likely cut him or placed him on the practice squad, just like they did when they cut Danny Woodhead to keep Joe McKnight.

They looked at draft position rather than demonstrated on field performance.

Likewise, the Rats could have had BB if they had requested to talk with the Pats' defensive coordinator rather than tamper with Parcells as they did, but of course, Parcells was the big name that NY deserved and BB was just a failed ex-HC.

Getting Parcells was even so important that tampering with him while he should have been single-mindedly preparing for the Superbowl, was a reasonable action, because the Pats were nobody, certainly not compared to a NY team, so why wait?

It's just what the Rats do, they are what they are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back