PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets give Sanchez 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahahahaha....hhaaahhaa

As usual, people are seeing big numbers and reacting when the numbers don't really mean a darn thing. Despite the numbers we're seeing uninformed mediots throw around, it seems that all the Jets did was give Sanchez a 3 year, $40.5 million extension and guarantee his salary for 2012 and 2013. They're not adding a guaranteed $20 million to his salary, they're simply guaranteeing the ~$20 million he was already scheduled to earn. There is very little risk above what they already had. They certainly weren't going to cut him anytime in the next 10 months so the only real change is they've committed themselves to his 2013 salary.

I highly doubt Sanchez sees a single dime of this "extension."

Good enough for me. There were talks of him having to fight for his job this coming offseason. Now they're stuck with him for a minimum of two more seasons. I'll take that.

Continued development does give scope for regression doesn't it?
But it would be at a bargain.
duckhunt.gif

It does make him uncuttable until 2014 possibly longer. He may not see the final three years of his deal, but he is guaranteed to see the next two which is far more than he had yesterday when the Jets were pursuing Manning.
If the Jets signed Manning, then Sanchez was a goner. Since they realized they couldn't get Manning, they were committed to Sanchez for 2012 so he was already "uncuttable" until 2013. All this "extension" did was give Sanchez a guaranteed 2013 season. The only way the Jets lose on this deal is if Sanchez is so atrocious this year that next spring they are saying "gee I wish we could cut him."

As usual, people are seeing big numbers and reacting when the numbers don't really mean a darn thing. Despite the numbers we're seeing uninformed mediots throw around, it seems that all the Jets did was give Sanchez a 3 year, $40.5 million extension and guarantee his salary for 2012 and 2013. They're not adding a guaranteed $20 million to his salary, they're simply guaranteeing the ~$20 million he was already scheduled to earn. There is very little risk above what they already had. They certainly weren't going to cut him anytime in the next 10 months so the only real change is they've committed themselves to his 2013 salary.

I highly doubt Sanchez sees a single dime of this "extension."
No, I'm laughing at the extension. It's hilarious.

If the Jets signed Manning, then Sanchez was a goner. Since they realized they couldn't get Manning, they were committed to Sanchez for 2012 so he was already "uncuttable" until 2013. All this "extension" did was give Sanchez a guaranteed 2013 season. The only way the Jets lose on this deal is if Sanchez is so atrocious this year that next spring they are saying "gee I wish we could cut him."

They lose if Sanchez doesn't progress at all. He doesn't have to be attrocious, he just has to be mediocre. What if he gets slightly better and the defense gets worse? He is still a mediocre QB leading a Jets team to .500 or worse. Tannenbaum and Ryan lose their jobs if the Jets don't make the playoffs the next two years with an average QB.

This also is a huge misfire in that they said they wanted to sign a back up QB who would push Sanchez. That plan is shot. Sanchez doesn't have to worry about a Chad Henne coming in and stealing his job, but the Jets have to start Sanchez the next two years.

The Jets lose on this deal if they don't at least make the playoffs next year. Or at least Tannebaum and/or Ryan lose - their jobs or at the very least will be on the hotseat in 2013. The Jets are hooking their wagon to a mediocre QB for next two year and even if they cut him in 2014 they will have a lot of dead cap money to deal with while looking for a new QB.

Don't act like this is a virtually no lose situation. The Jets are trending down with a lot of holes and they are hitching their wagon to a mediocre QB with poor leadership skills and not much confidence from his teammates.

The fact is the Jets went to two AFC Championship games despite Sanchez, not because of him. Now what got them there (a great defense, oline and running game) are broken.

Last edited:
damn the jets are stupid

what's funny to me though, is pats fans were saying the jets should do this (in the peyton thread) they said this would be the smarter thing to do , than going after peyton

weird.....looks stupid as hell to me

QB Mark Sanchez on his 3-year extension: "It gives the team just a reminder that I’m the leader of this team."

LOL Somewhere in Africa tonight, Santurdio is weeping...

the best thing about a Ray Ray post is the inevitable malaprop...like that post in this thread....he spells shrewd, shrewed..and then, just to remove all doubt...he posts shrewed again....just love when the legend in his own mind tries to be shrewd and portray this move as shrewd of Tannenbaum, yet is full of fail before his argument even has wings...reminds me of the time he posted "don't have a canary" at another site and when questioned mockingly retorted "it's an expression!!!"...it was another 6 months before he finally realized the word he was fumbling for was coronary...this was immediately followed up by this beauty"whistling gypsy"...when informed that what he meant to say was "whistling Dixie", he argued for months that HE was right and everyone was wrong..."the expression is whistling gypsy!!!...I've heard it used many times!!!"...

anyway, the surest way to know that the Jets have stepped in it yet again and look to plummet as inevitably as the swallows returning to Capistrano is a Ray Ray post declaring the move "pure genius!!!"...and after all, for someone who fervently believes "Brady is in the twilight...Sanchez ELITE!!! Ceiling Unlimited!!!"...this move is like being invited to tag along with Wrecks and the rest of the dysfunctional flight crew for Thursday Night Ice Cream Sundaes. I end this post with another famous Ray Rayism, today has been a waterfall of hilarity..."for all intensive purposes".

Last edited:
They lose if Sanchez doesn't progress at all. He doesn't have to be attrocious, he just has to be mediocre. What if he gets slightly better and the defense gets worse? He is still a mediocre QB leading a Jets team to .500 or worse. Tannenbaum and Ryan lose their jobs if the Jets don't make the playoffs the next two years with an average QB.

This also is a huge misfire in that they said they wanted to sign a back up QB who would push Sanchez. That plan is shot. Sanchez doesn't have to worry about a Chad Henne coming in and stealing his job, but the Jets have to start Sanchez the next two years.

The Jets lose on this deal if they don't at least make the playoffs next year. Or at least Tannebaum and/or Ryan lose - their jobs or at the very least will be on the hotseat in 2013. The Jets are hooking their wagon to a mediocre QB for next two year and even if they cut him in 2014 they will have a lot of dead cap money to deal with while looking for a new QB.

Don't act like this is a virtually no lose situation. The Jets are trending down with a lot of holes and they are hitching their wagon to a mediocre QB with poor leadership skills and not much confidence from his teammates.

The fact is the Jets went to two AFC Championship games despite Sanchez, not because of him. Now what got them there (a great defense, oline and running game) are broken.

Sanchez needed a fire lit under him in hopes he would grow up and grow a set. Tick tock, you're career is teetering on the brink. Meet your new backup. The one we picked up when we couldn't asscan you for Manning.

Instead, he now has more pressure and scrutiny to grapple with, but a lot more money in his bank account to console him if he can't cope.

It just went from six to midnight.

damn the jets are stupid

what's funny to me though, is pats fans were saying the jets should do this (in the peyton thread) they said this would be the smarter thing to do , than going after peyton

weird.....looks stupid as hell to me
They're Jest fans what did you expect? Like McDonalds says... I'm Loving it

Last edited:
Ray Ray's "logic"... I HAVE the definitive example of this from the past season...read this and try and keep a straight face...I dare ya'....

RayRay1 Nov 14, 2011 4:48
am

Congrats Cheats

Can't get any lucky then the Pats

Jets off all night in all 3 phases, timely penalties, too much thinking.

Rex had the Jets thinking too much, sometimes you just need to go out
and play, no way Pats should win this game, no way the Jets should lose it

Jets beat themselves by overthinking, and then you have Brady doing what
he does best, dissect a defense that is confused and is not ready

Wrong defensive game plan, press and go after the QB, BB won the chess
game tonight.

Jets will be there at the end, they let the Pats get in thier heads tonight.

[Last Editor: RayRay1, Nov 14, 2011 4:49 am. Total Edits: 1]

heh...pure comedic genius...ala Frank Moga Jr.

Ray Ray's "logic"... I HAVE the definitive example of this from the past season...read this and try and keep a straight face...I dare ya'....

am

Congrats Cheats

game tonight.

===========================

Could not laugh, still bitter.

The gang green board seems to think this is a typical genius front office move by the Jets to free up cap room this year.

Did it actually save them any cap room this year?

am

Congrats Cheats

game tonight.

I admit it i couldn't.

GUNS!!!!!

hey..we all miss ya around here....
Prost.gif

GUNS!!!!!

hey..we all miss ya around here....
Prost.gif

========================================

Well I miss you all too.

Had high hopes at one time last year, they were shattered, and I needed to step away for a while.
But enough about me, how about that SB appearance, congrats on that .

Very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots