PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets already moving on, yikes

So, before the 2021 draft, I said I only liked Lawrence and Justin Fields. I had some harsh things to say about Zach Wilson, and really some very harsh things to say about Mac Jones (not as bad as what I said about Wilson). I think Mac won me over last year.

Jan 4, 2021
"Trey Lance and Zach Wilson are not top 5 or top 10 QBs. They are the type who go late in the first. I expect their stock will fall as we move into the combine/evaluation period. If BB passes on them, I am OK with that. He may actually grade them even lower than I do."

Jan 5, 2021
CONTEXT: Josh Allen was raw, small college, like Wilson and Lance
Josh Allen was the same. He didn’t fare well in some games but how’s he doing these days?
"[Allen] was the same. Except that he has exceptional size, and exceptional arm (much better than Wilson's), and he's a much better runner. If every team could take a QB like Wilson and make them into Josh Allen, they should do it.
As it stands, this is what some team will HOPE to do with Justin Fields.
Given the short amount of time that Belichick will be here, I'd rather they bring in a vet like Garoppolo, Stafford or Wentz than try to develop guys that might not pan out--unless we're talking about Fields."

Jan 5, 2021
"The problem here is Wilson's competition. Passing in some of these leagues against defenses that have all the resistance of air. Watching highlights you see some of the passes from Wilson and Lance completed but you also notice the DBs moving at a snail's pace."

Jan 5, 2021
On the negative side, they say Wilson is a rich, entitled brat who rather than being a leader, is a selfish know-it-all - his parents are a pain to deal with too.
"What the ???? LOL. A little bit of a Rosen vibe there, but where the heck does that come from? I really don't like the lack of competition for judging Wilson. It's a problem. He may be an excellent QB down the road when he develops. But I hesitate to take him that high."

Jan 5, 2021
"They play incredibly weak competition. That's my main problem. So sure arm strength looks great. But against teams that don't pay defenses, you have wide open offenses throwing downfield. Where's the diversity in plays? They will have a lot to learn in the NFL. They are not polished. To me, a guy picked at the top of the 1st round is the kind of guy who should be starting at some point in his first year. I can't think of a single such QB who hasn't. Lance and Wilson are going to need a lot of development as opposed to Lawrence and Fields, who have so much of the pro game down already, of necessity because of the competition they play."

Jan 26, 2021
CONTEXT: Which conference has better QBs
Other poster: "This is a bizarre take. NFC has Rodgers, brady, wilson. Those 3 guys alone are better than anyone after Mahomes in the AFC. That's not taking into account guys like Matt ryan, Goff, Jimmy G who have made Superbowls and would immediately be upper QBs in the AFC. The fact the bills got demolished shows how far away they actually are. It's like when the allen iverson sixers would make it to the finals only to get destroyed by the Lakers because they didn't belong."

"I would definitely not take Kyler Murray over Josh Allen. Allen needs to develop his game but he has shown a lot this year. If he refines his game, he is the second best out there after Mahomes. The NFC guys are all older and soon to be phased out. I'd throw in with Watson, Allen, Herbert over ANY of the NFC guys. Trevor Lawrence to the Jags? He may be good too. Mayfield I'm not so sure about. Lamar Jackson is very interesting and could really develop but like Allen he needs refinement."

Feb 25, 2021
"The only position I feel I have a good eye for after almost 5 decades of watching is QB. I watched a lot of college ball and I really dont know what the Pro Scouts are looking for.
I like Fields a lot. Much better than Wilson.
But I saw Marino play practically every game when he was at Pitt and I wanted the Patriots to draft him so badly. We picked Eason??!?! I saw Favre light up the Senior Bowl and the guy was incredibly talented, easy to see. Same with Rodgers. As for Brady all he did was make the plays to beat my Nittany Lions.
In all the years I've banged the table on a top QB, I think I've only been wrong on Sam Bradford. I thought he was going to be fantastic."

Mar. 23, 2021
"Is is wrong if I don't want the Patriots taking a totally rich kid who won't necessarily connect with his teammates? I've read Wilson has displayed a sense of entitlement. I just don't want anyone with Jay Cuter's ability and Jay Cutler's demeanor."

Mar 26, 2021
"Is it me or is there a little bit a facial resemblance between Zach Wilson and Darnold? Darnold looks like a more mature Wilson:"
"
screen-shot-2021-03-26-at-6-19-32-pm-png.31666
screen-shot-2021-03-26-at-6-23-01-pm-png.31667

Last edited:
Normally I'd say give him year 3 at least, but he looks monumentally horrid.

White is still a hope for the Jete, very small sample size though.
I was thinking the same. 3rd year, but all playing time is earned.

But the kid may just be done (here). No confidence or fight left in him, from what I've seen.

Sucks, but with every adversity comes opportunity. White fighting to play through broken ribs for example.

It's the smart and right decision. You give a rookie QB 3 years unless he shows to be a complete disaster which Wilson has done in spades.

Easily the worst QB I have seen play since Russell. Wasting any more time on him will do nothing but harm. It was obvious last year he was not an NFL QB and his attitude means he has no shot.
Brandon Weeden

Hypothetical for everyone: the JEST can't find a trade partner, so they cut him and he clears waivers. (Admittedly unlikely, but w/e.)

Would you want NE to see if they can redeem him?

ExdShIHXIAIuQsq
Wilson 100% seems like the type of person that is a only a fan of a team that is dominating their sport.

I bet he wears golden state warrior jerseys and probably had a yankee hat growing up

Hypothetical for everyone: the JEST can't find a trade partner, so they cut him and he clears waivers. (Admittedly unlikely, but w/e.)

Would you want NE to see if they can redeem him?

ExdShIHXIAIuQsq
Yess Patricia and Judge can turn anybody around or out of the league for good measures. :rofl:

I was thinking the same. 3rd year, but all playing time is earned.

But the kid may just be done (here). No confidence or fight left in him, from what I've seen.

Sucks, but with every adversity comes opportunity. White fighting to play through broken ribs for example.
It’s the right move. Milfson doesn’t seem to get it and he’s cost that team at least two games. Joe Douglas has assembled a playoff team if the Jets had a QB. I hope he doesn’t find one!

At least 1 more year of Mac maybe more.

If BB leaves then expect 2 more years of Mac at the very least because the sales pitch will be that the new NE regime brings a scheme and vision that plays to Macs positives. The GM will promise to surround Mac with playmakers.
He’d have to play really well next year. Usually a new regime wants their own QB (one they draft themselves) unless the incumbent has proven he’s the guy beforehand.

He’d have to play really well next year. Usually a new regime wants their own QB (one they draft themselves) unless the incumbent has proven he’s the guy beforehand.
Yes, but the new hire is here because Kraft wants Jones as "THE GUY"

The only factor that has differentiated the Pats from franchises like the Jets and Browns is BB and once BB is gone the whole thing is over.

Yes, but the new hire is here because Kraft wants Jones as "THE GUY"

There is absolutely no evidence of that. Kraft might HOPE Mac is "the guy" but has issued no decree to that effect. Neither has BB.

The only factor that has differentiated the Pats from franchises like the Jets and Browns is BB and once BB is gone the whole thing is over.

No. The biggest differentiating factor is the Patriots have competent ownership.

I was thinking

When did THAT start?

the kid may just be done (here)

It's fascinating how, in three short weeks, he went from "the future of the franchise" according to his coach to potential trade bait. The Jete PR department must've done a marketing survey prompted by all the booing.

Sucks, but with every adversity comes opportunity.

Fifty-three years of adversity creating "opportunity," soon to become 54.

White fighting to play through broken ribs for example.

"Broken" ribs, or bruised? No way was Caucasian cleared for practice a week after getting pummeled if his ribs were broken. A convenient excuse to get Punky back on the field but let's not go overboard.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the Jets scouts picked up on his attitude and makeup before the draft? Or did the Jetes just break another QB.

I used to think the Jets were breaking Wilson, but it is clear Wilson is a turd and potentially uncoachable. I think for Wilson to succeed, he will need a special coach. The problem is I am not sure if it is a disciplinarian or someone who will coddle him a bit. Either way, I am guessing he is still a lost cause.

The guy has $40 million a year raw talent, but a ten cent head with an air of entitlement to boot.

Is it just me or was this article really hard to read? Was Florio high when he wrote this? Feels like abuse of the English language.

My take is that Florio spoke it and yahoo AI transcribed it into an clickbait article to create ad revenue.. seems like it's becoming more and more common.

I would love to see him on the Pats this summer competing for the starter's job. Give old Mac a run for his money. Stick it to the JETE. He would be a great reclamation project. Need a slightly better QB coach on the staff first....

I would love to see him on the Pats this summer competing for the starter's job. Give old Mac a run for his money. Stick it to the JETE. He would be a great reclamation project. Need a slightly better QB coach on the staff first....

No way, he never would fit here. He's an unfocused entitled brat, let him be someone else's problem.

Wilson always had trouble reading the MOF/second level. He just couldn't move certain defenders and didn't care to most of the time.

I had 1st RD grades on Lawrence and Fields. Those are the guys are gamble on that early. 2nd RD grades on Lance, Wilson and Mac, on that order.

Evaluating QB's isn't easy at all. The fit between QB, HC, FO is huge. There's a saying "players don't bust, teams do" and most of the time that's true. I suspect this was a failed relationship from the start though.

On a side note I've been a big Mike White fan. I love his leadership qualities and toughness. I had a 2nd on him and think that guy can play if given a real shot.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back