PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Love this pickup
Had him in tier 1 slot WR last spring when I first looked at the class.

Big time acceleration and speed. Can pull away short and deep. Deep shots out the slot. Has the quicks and wiggle to make you miss. You want him in space. Instant speed. Get him in motion. Off the line. Maybe coming out backfield?

Can work the mof/make some rec through contact. Make a few splash recs. Good hands again can catch through some contact and traffic.

Multiple off the field issues.

Smurf type that has trouble with length of the los. Most used vertical but his QB situation, offense was a mess at times. I always noticed when given the chance he worked guys off the top of his routes. No wasted steps. Efficient. Aware of his surroundings.

Has to get stronger.

I'm loving the thought of Edleman working with him, hopefully. Really like this one if his head is on right.

Really fast, was running a lot of routes at the U?

Love this pickup

Big time acceleration and speed. Can pull away short and deep. Deep shots out the slot. Has the quicks and wiggle to make you miss. You want him in space. Instant speed. Get him in motion. Off the line. Maybe coming out backfield?

Can work the mof/make some rec through contact. Make a few splash recs. Good hands again can catch through some contact and traffic.

Smurf type that has trouble with length of the los. Most used vertical but his QB situation, offense was a mess at times. I always noticed when given the chance he worked guys off the top of his routes. No wasted steps. Efficient. Aware of his surroundings.

Has to get stronger.

I'm loving the thought of Edleman working with him, hopefully. Really like this one if his head is on right.

Someone posted this video in the main UDFA thread. Is he purely a slot guy, because he is doesn't seem that way in these clips? Seems to be able to separate down the field with relative ease. Also, averaged 18.9 yds per punt!

The catches at 0:5o and 1:50 are insane.

If BB finally finds a burner at SlotWR, be it this guy or some other, Brady might book a flight to New England just to kick he ex-coach's ass.

Ufff, that first highlights' selection is so niiice. Very crispy routes, great use of acceleration

**** it, Im pumped.

Be amazing if 3 or all 4 make this team.
Maybe at the expense of Meyers,Gunner,Sanu

Shorter skinnier poor mans Desean Jackson. It would be nice if he could get up to 180 or 185. I do not care what is 40 time is, on tape the guy can fly and looks like he has good hands.

Someone posted this video in the main UDFA thread. Is he purely a slot guy, because he is doesn't seem that way in these clips? Seems to be able to separate down the field with relative ease. Also, averaged 18.9 yds per punt!

The catches at 0:5o and 1:50 are insane.

I didn't count but most reps were from the slot I believe.

I do believe that's most likely his destination next level. I'm sure he can work outside depending on the matchup. It would have to really be in his favor bc I think the sidelines could really hurt him given his size. Mind you in speaking about him going up against NFL talent even if it's CB3/4.

Once & a while sure, I'm sure you could find some decent opportunities.

I just think the slot gives him a lot more room to work all around.

I have to say Riley & Thomas ... Bill has something in mind. Those two aren't by chance imo.

Two tiny, sudden guys with big play speed. Slot/Maybe Z with ST abilities.

Comparison of Damarys Byrd and Jeff Thomas and Sean Riley. Byrd has superior speed

BYRD Pre-draft measurables

5 ft 9 1⁄8 in
(1.76 m) 173 lb (78 kg)
40 yd dash 4.28 s 4.03 s three cone 6.6 s 42 in
(1.07 m) 10 ft 11 in
(3.33 m)

THOMAS

5 ft 9 in
170 pounds
40 yard dash 4.45
Broad jump 10 ft 5

RILEY

5ft 8 in
178 lbs
40 yard dash 4.42

Willl HASTINGS White Lightning
5 ft 10 inches
175 pounds
40 yard dash 4.50 seconds

Last edited:
Comparison of Damarys Byrd and Jeff Thomas. Byrd has superior speed

BYRD Pre-draft measurables

5 ft 9 1⁄8 in
(1.76 m) 173 lb (78 kg)
40 yd dash 4.28 s 4.03 s three cone 6.6 s 42 in
(1.07 m) 10 ft 11 in
(3.33 m)

THOMAS

5 ft 9 in
170 pounds
40 yard dash 4.45
Broad jump 10 ft 5
I forget about Byrd for a second. Definitely not a coincidence. Hastings too.

4 small speedsters that all have similar profiles give or take.

I forget about Byrd for a second. Definitely not a coincidence. Hastings too.

4 small speedsters that all have similar profiles give or take.
Seems like that might be a tell tipping Belichick’s strategy for the coming season.

We talk about the slot receiver, why not two? Or four? Put all of them on the field at the same time and go with the offense equivalent of the amoeba defense?

Seems like that might be a tell tipping Belichick’s strategy for the coming season.

We talk about the slot receiver, why not two? Or four? Put all of them on the field at the same time and go with the offense equivalent of the amoeba defense?

I don't see how it tips off strategy to want our #5 WR to be a quick slot receiver, and hopefully a punt returner.

I don't see us moving from Edelman, Sanu, and Harry.

Last edited:
This could be a J.C Jackson type of deal. Talent to burn but no-one willing to risk draft capital on an asshat. However, if they get in the building and are cool then there is an absolute steal there

Last edited:
If BB finally finds a burner at SlotWR, be it this guy or some other, Brady might book a flight to New England just to kick he ex-coach's ass.
Brady wouldn't have liked him.

I really like this pick-up. If he didn't have off-field issues he would have gone much higher.

Classic BB acquisition. One bad move and he's gone, Patriots lose a bit of chump change.

His skill is incredible.....he SHOULD have definitely been drafted somewhere in 5-6 at latest. What scares me is that he WASNT drafted at all by Anyone. Off field issues.....they have to be pretty serious and consistent. I hope he is not another Gordon or AB....OFF the field!

Love this pickup

Has to get stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that his 4.45 was considered 'lackadaisical' by people who knew him and basically that he should have run much higher but just didn't care. Wish I could run a 'lackadaisical' 4.45.

The guy ran a 4.45 time at the combine, but his ex-teammates were unhappy because it looked like he didn't prepare for the combine at all. So he came in probably out of shape - which is a giant red flag btw, coming into the biggest job interview of your life not having prepared...speaks to some of the off-field issues - but that means that he's probably significantly faster than 4.45. The game tape sure indicates he is. He roasted pretty much everyone who lined up against him.

From a physical talent standpoint, this guy is tremendous. Really good hands, elite speed and quickness, and pretty tough. If - and at this point it's a big if - BB can keep this guy in line, holy crap I think he's like a 3rd-4th round talent picked up as a UDFA.

The big "if" though....let's see how that goes.

Let's say the kid manages to straighten up - he wouldn't be the first guy to grow up and get mature. The WR corps would look a heck of a lot better. Assuming good health (big assumption given the names I'm about to list but still)....

Edelman - still an elite receiver
Sanu - always has been a solid pro...the only blip was 2nd half of last year when he was playing hurt
Harry - 1st round talent with excellent size, strength, and RAC ability
Meyers - may get bumped, but he had GREAT rapport with Stidham last preseason
Byrd - very very very fast slot guy
Lee - terrific talent; his issue has always been health, hence my "big assumption given the names I'm about to list" disclaimer above
Thomas - absolute burner with real talent

That WR corps would be more than fine for an NFL team. Add in the fact that they got two pretty nice TEs in the draft (and who knows about the UDFA guys), and the receiving corps in total has gotten a LOT better from last year.

I'd even suggest that JJ Taylor from Arizona has a chance to make the team. He's small, but packs a wallop and is ultra quick and fast and can be a real significant weapon.

Going to temper any excitement because UDFAs are always like this. Get excited for them and they don’t pan out (with about one exception every year).

Hard not to get excited by Thomas’ highlight reel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes