PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamie Collins 4 years $50m ($26m GTD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottishPatriots

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Well Hightower is going to be expensive to keep, wish we'd got this deal done at the start of the season.

Does Hightowers agent now ask for at least $12.5m per?

Last edited:
Well Hightower is going to be expensive to keep, wish we'd got this deal done at the start of the season.

Source?

Regardless, it takes two to tango. Perhaps Hightower has been holding out for big money himself.

Source?

Regardless, it takes two to tango. Perhaps Hightower has been holding out for big money himself.

RapSheet + NFL.com

Put it in the original post now, good for him but that's a lot of cheddar for a guy who doesn't really rush the passer.

I really hate this fallacy..

It takes two to dance. Also, there is no way Hightower's agent lets him sign a contract in his final year without it being something market setting.

How much would it cost to franchise Hightower?

Half of Von and probably less than High (in guaranteed) minus SB or two etc..

If this has any baring for Hightower Id say its a good news. Lower than expected and lower (GTD) than Miguel's Hightower projection.

Not if he wants his client to remain a member of the Patriots

Using hindsight, why the hell would you want to pay Collins that money after knowing he was lolly-gagging and free lancing?

If he played 16 games like he did vs HOU in Week 3 maybe they would have signed him.

He did not. They decided not to and shipped him out.

Now they are in the Super Bowl with the #1 defense in the NFL

This was a blessing.

As much as I hate to see good players leave, if several Patriots' vets win the SB in a couple of weeks then "cash out" by getting huge contracts from other teams, good for them. It can't hurt the rep of the team for players to see the Pats as a launching pad:
  1. learn how the game is played and build your own credentials
  2. have a rare and unique team-first, championship experience
  3. get another team that has a problem with instant gratification to overpay you, and set up several generations of your family for life.
I want to keep Hightower, Ryan, et al., but this isn't a terrible alternative.

I was reviewing what Mayo got in 2011, and I think he was given 5/48.5. Mayo was a beast, but injuries really got him. Hightower is close, but I am not sure is equivalent to what Mayo was in 2011. That being said, Hightower seems to be injured all the time, and that to me would be the main reason to have issues on a long term deal.

The question though is, what is the alternative? The purpose of trading Jones was to free money to give to Butler, Hightower and Collins, but now that Collins is not here, that should afford the team some more flexibility. Finding a FA or draft pick to fill his shoes would be a hard task.

I was reviewing what Mayo got in 2011, and I think he was given 5/48.5. Mayo was a beast, but injuries really got him. Hightower is close, but I am not sure is equivalent to what Mayo was in 2011. That being said, Hightower seems to be injured all the time, and that to me would be the main reason to have issues on a long term deal.

The question though is, what is the alternative? The purpose of trading Jones was to free money to give to Butler, Hightower and Collins, but now that Collins is not here, that should afford the team some more flexibility. Finding a FA or draft pick to fill his shoes would be a hard task.

I used to think that too. But Revis left & Butler blossomed. Jones & Collins are gone, but the Patriots are in the big game. Winning teams need talent, but BB has shown that acquiring that talent can come in various ways. And we, as fans, get too attached to players, while BB stays away from that trap.

I'll hate to lose Hightower but he's off the field way too much.

As for Collins, it's ironic he signs the day his ex-team mates are getting ready to go to the Super Bowl. Collins got what was important to him.

Very strange. He isnt worth half that.

No wonder likes cheap vets that he thinks he can coach up. Theyre cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back