PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby says goodbye (EDIT: and hello!)

Never was a fan of Andrew Luck.. maybe it was all those idiotic commercials about his cat or that stupid attempt at facial hair.

OTOH always really liked Brissett, thought he had great potential, seemed mature and intelligent.

Never was a fan of Andrew Luck.. maybe it was all those idiotic commercials about his cat or that stupid attempt at facial hair.

OTOH always really liked Brissett, thought he had great potential, seemed mature and intelligent.

As someone like Luck with a % of Neanderthal genes, I am offended by your H8

What will suck will be the fact that he was traded to a conference rival.

Dorsett looked serviceable last week. Too bad he probably won't get many opportunities barring injury. Either way, he looks like someone who they may be able to build upon with more time. We'll have to revisit this trade down the road a bit.
Don't judge the team's use of Dorsett by the first three weeks. Remember, he's under the same penalties as Brissett, coming into a new system and trying to learn it on the fly. The fact that he's made himself useful is just as much a feather in Dorsett's cap, as the fact that Brissett is playing at an average-to-above-average level is in his.

Considering that the Patriots offense is much harder to learn than the Colts' by all accounts, Dorsett is even further behind the 8 ball than Brissett, who as the leader of the offensive has a lot more leeway to improvise in Indianapolis.

Brissett has already turned a couple of broken plays into TD's and big gains in Indy. The spin-move rushing TD last Sunday springs to mind as an example. Dorsett will rarely have the same privilege as one receiver on a team full of good receivers.

You think Brissett and the Colts are going to march into SEA and pull off that kind of upset? Wow. If so, the Seahawks really do suck this year. Personally, I think their defense steps up this week.
I think that their defense is about to face a very versatile, mobile quarterback they haven't seen in action before, and a Colts team fueled by more hope and confidence than they thought they'd have with a good field leader who has already proven in a very short time that he can get that Indianapolis team to play above their talent level.

Not sure I want to rate the odds of a comeback, but the stage is set for one.

So many deluded people on this thread, he played THE CLEVELAND BROWNS now we're talking about him having a better career than Jimmy G and starting a QB controversy in Indy, the Browns are 1-20 in their last 21 games, just because you like the guy and he was a Patriot doesn't mean he's a high calibre starting NFL quarterback.

Brissett will get exposed in Seattle, everyone here was so high after Houston last year then he put up a donut against Buffalo.

Brissett is nowhere near the talent of Andrew Luck, they put up 3 points in the 2nd half against the Cleveland Browns at home, a QB controversy is laughable to me, yeah go ahead trade Luck and start Brissett :D

13 points against the Cardinals in his first game, apparently the level of being a good QB now is beating the Browns at home by 3 points and being an ex Patriot, he is also nowhere near as good as Jimmy G according to Patriots coaches who watched him every day but you armchair experts go watch that Cleveland Browns film, the barometer of NFL success

Brissett loses by 20+ this weekend and has sub 200 yards passing and multiple turnovers.

Since Brissett is the future in Indy the Colts should trade Luck to Denver :eek:

Last edited:
Brissett will get exposed in Seattle, everyone here was so high after Houston last year then he put up a donut against Buffalo.

Brissett had a broken thumb on his throwing hand in Buffalo. He was out there because both he and Garoppolo were wounded in action and of the two, it was Brissett who wanted the ball. Personally, I kinda respect that, even given the outcome.

Brissett is nowhere near the talent of Andrew Luck,

I'm just gonna say this: We do NOT know that. Brissett's a very talented quarterback in his own right and his intangibles are off the charts by every indication I've seen. His big issue is mechanics and accuracy, and that's not as big an issue for him as it might be for a pocket passer like Brady because the guy has the feet to roll out, scramble, or call his own number if the pocket collapses.

What I've been most impressed by is Brissett's vision and ability to improvise. He's held back not just by unfamiliarity with the Colts offense but by a very bad OC and HC. He's making a lot of the offense that happens, happen right now. Frankly considering the state of that franchise both on the field and on the sidelines, putting up a competitive number of points each of the last 2 games is impressive.

they put up 3 points in the 2nd half against the Cleveland Browns at home,

... because the coach got conservative and started playing not to lose. The fact that the coaching staff does not trust Jacoby Brissett to keep not making mistakes with a big lead yet is not an indictment of Jacoby's talents or abilities in any way whatsoever.

a QB controversy is laughable to me, yeah go ahead trade Luck and start Brissett :D

Let's just look at this post in 2 years. The outcome might surprise you. Luck is currently exactly where he doesn't want to be, in a position Drew Bledsoe would find all too familiar, sitting on the sidelines letting his backup grab a lot of attention. If he stays there and Brissett keeps playing well, or even worse, gets back and starts playing poorly, you'll see just how laughable the idea of a QB controversy is.

13 points against the Cardinals in his first game,

18/25 for over 200 yards, the team couldn't finish, that's not an indictment of Jacoby. Brady has also had games like this where he gained his share of yards but someone keeps moving the end zone. Even good quarterbacks have low scoring games.

That was also enough to win if the defense had held in the 4th quarter. The defense collapsing in the 4th after playing 55 very good minutes is not Brissett's fault.

apparently the level of being a good QB now is beating the Browns at home by 3 points and being an ex Patriot.

All Brissett can do is make the most of the opportunities he had. He played well enough to win both games on a talentless roster with a very bad coaching staff around him. That's all a quarterback can do, and I wouldn't have expected Luck to do that much better You can spin that the other way and make him seem like some kind of scrub. I don't think that's intelligent or realistic.

Finally we'll get to see him play a game that's not at the same time as ours.

This game is a big stepping stone for him- primetime, against an elite defense. He either ascends or descends.

I think Brissett will rise to the occasion and cause a QB controversy.

It seems that Brisset with 2 solid games already guaranteed his permanence in the league for a few years. We don't know if he will keep being solid, and in what kind of tier he is gonna settle , backup, bottom line starter, game manager, solid starter or franchise QB, but there are several QB's who earned contracts and paychecks for one or 2 solid outings. So I'm happy for him because at a certain point it looked like he wasn't capable of being a NFL QB.

That said, before we regret trading him, as someone remembered he is in year 2 of a 4 year contract, he would be of no use in New England this year and it seems for next year as well. Maybe in year 4 depending on all the moving pieces going on at the QB position he could have had* a chance to start, anyway after that he is going to command some dollar too, and whatever the plan is for the future at the QB position, we don't know what's gonna happen, what we do know is that we are not going to pay 2 QB's**. BB has never done that and basically no one other team does, the math doesn't add up. A couple teams may find themselves in a situation where they need to have a reliable (and thus kind of expensive) backup, for all the other teams is a guy on a rookie wage or a veteran at a low cost. I'm not saying the position is not important (there is no such thing for BB) but there's a salary cap and so a team is limited in the way they are going to spread the cap through the roster and paying a good money for a backup QB is a no go in managing the salary cap.

So let's not go crazy in regret this move in 2 or 3 years, right now the trade made a lot of sense, Dorsett will be catching passes in a controlled cost here for the next 3 years.

* Not sure I got the future tense correct here, sorry.

** I can see BB franchising JimmyG in this transition from Brady to Garopollo but that would be an exception to the rule.

It seems that Brisset with 2 solid games already guaranteed his permanence in the league for a few years. We don't know if he will keep being solid, and in what kind of tier he is gonna settle , backup, bottom line starter, game manager, solid starter or franchise QB, but there are several QB's who earned contracts and paychecks for one or 2 solid outings. So I'm happy for him because at a certain point it looked like he wasn't capable of being a NFL QB.

That said, before we regret trading him, as someone remembered he is in year 2 of a 4 year contract, he would be of no use in New England this year and it seems for next year as well. Maybe in year 4 depending on all the moving pieces going on at the QB position he could have had* a chance to start, anyway after that he is going to command some dollar too, and whatever the plan is for the future at the QB position, we don't know what's gonna happen, what we do know is that we are not going to pay 2 QB's**. BB has never done that and basically no one other team does, the math doesn't add up. A couple teams may find themselves in a situation where they need to have a reliable (and thus kind of expensive) backup, for all the other teams is a guy on a rookie wage or a veteran at a low cost. I'm not saying the position is not important (there is no such thing for BB) but there's a salary cap and so a team is limited in the way they are going to spread the cap through the roster and paying a good money for a backup QB is a no go in managing the salary cap.

So let's not go crazy in regret this move in 2 or 3 years, right now the trade made a lot of sense, Dorsett will be catching passes in a controlled cost here for the next 3 years.

* Not sure I got the future tense correct here, sorry.

** I can see BB franchising JimmyG in this transition from Brady to Garopollo but that would be an exception to the rule.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. Yeah it was good to trade him since we didn't trade Jimmy G. Then the question becomes why didn't we trade Jimmy G for 2 1st rounders and kept Brissett as the backup. Maybe we could have picked up some pass rusher or DL or LB that could contribute today.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. Yeah it was good to trade him since we didn't trade Jimmy G. Then the question becomes why didn't we trade Jimmy G for 2 1st rounders and kept Brissett as the backup. Maybe we could have picked up some pass rusher or DL or LB that could contribute today.

Or BB's masterplan: The backup QB BB was willing to dump plays well for the colts. Well then how good is JG the QB he kept?;)

Every game Jacoby plays well is indirectly a showcase of JG talent.

Keep JG as the backup on the cheap. Then franchise him and trade him for 3 1st rounders since he his even better than Brisset :cool:

Looks like Jacoby could make it a season for himself . and a career after..

Colts should shut down Andrew Luck for the season
____

Probably not easy on Jimmy right now. The irony of best backup in the league: too good to be traded (by BB culture) . no one can be good enough to replace GOAT being goat or close to it.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back