PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby says goodbye (EDIT: and hello!)

What is the reason you "really wanted him to be the heir apparent"?

Why him over JG?

I'm just curious because I never saw a reason to root for Jacoby over any other backup we've had

No, didn't want him as #1 backup over JG. JG obviously has more ability.

But I ( and it looks like many others here,too) disagree with your last statement.

There was certainly more reason to want him to succeed than pretty much any other backup QB in the Brady era, because he is a 100% class act, humble, with a ton of leadership skills. This is what Parcells and BB and many others saw in him to begin with. Way more than any backup since TB12 and Flutie.
He's the kind of guy you root for. I think with his intangibles he'll have a solid career.

Put Brissett on a team with nothing to lose and he might just make something of himself. On a team with first rate run blocking his mobility is much more of an asset and he's better than a lot of desperation quarterbacks because he won't take stupid risks with the football.

The very least you can say about Brissett is that he does make the opposition beat him, he does not beat himself. As bottom echelon starters go you could do a lot worse.

Not a prediction but a curiosity. Could JB beat out Luck?

I also thought that Brissett was heir apparent to the throne, not only as he has emerging skills, but am reluctant to pay Garapolo franchise type money..

I liked this kid and he will do well wherever he winds up..

No, didn't want him as #1 backup over JG. JG obviously has more ability.

But I ( and it looks like many others here,too) disagree with your last statement.

There was certainly more reason to want him to succeed than pretty much any other backup QB in the Brady era, because he is a 100% class act, humble, with a ton of leadership skills. This is what Parcells and BB and many others saw in him to begin with. Way more than any backup since TB12 and Flutie.
He's the kind of guy you root for. I think with his intangibles he'll have a solid career.

We have no idea if he had more or less class than other backups.

I think he seemed very mature though. But that's different than class.

But we're all entitled to our opinions.

I liked what I have seen from him and thought he would take over after Brady. I think he will be a good starting QB in the NFL.

For a rookie still learning the system, we consistently heard about him being a leader and helping others with the playbook. In particular, Michael Floyd made a point of pointing out how helpful he had been.

He seemed to really fit in with the guys. He was part of Brady's Wolfpack. Him and Jimmy got Brady a birthday cake, and Jacoby wrote "Old" instead of his actual age.

And I recall McCourty and some defenders bringing up his trash talking and also some joking around they did with him during practice. How often do starting defenders bring up the 3rd-string QB?

Just seemed like one of the guys, well-loved and respected.
I agree with all you posted but I don't view personnel moves from an emotional perspective.

I get emotional watching games, but I don't get too emotionally attached to backup players especially.

But I really do hope he finds success in the NFL. If not, in whatever he pursues

Hard not to like Jacoby. I'll still be rooting for him even though he's a Colt.

I like Jacoby as a person, but I just can't do it. I wanted to root for the Browns but they ruined it by hiring that POS Ryan Grigson. They were making so many unusually (for the Browns) smart choices up until that point. Everything about the Colts and their fans makes me sick.

Because Jacoby being the heir means 3 more years of Brady guaranteed. JG on the other hand means the real possibility that this could be Brady's last season with the Pats.
As I've said before, I'm fine with whatever choice is made.

After what Patsfans have been blessed with the past 17 years, I'm good for a lifetime. Anything more is just icing on the cake

Root for him him and against the Colts defense and special teams ;)

Dear JB,

Thank you for what you've done here in New England.

You were only here for a short time, but you showed a lot of toughness and competitiveness when it mattered. What's more, it can't have been easy coming in to this team, with the quality and reputation of the players in front of you.

From everything we've seen on the outside, you've been your own person, taking things in your own way, but being humble and willing to learn. No wonder those closest to you think so highly of you.

Don't take it too seriously when people talk about your throws being inaccurate or that you are taking too long to get the ball away. That's what it's like when you come in to the league. Just go and watch the G.O.A.T.'s games when he first started and see how often he was spraying his passes. The real questions are: Can you read the game? Can you lead a team? and, Can you learn? If you can do those things, you'll have a great career.

In any case, good luck!

Mike

I don't think that's very likely but I don't believe in impossible.

If luck becomes a turnover machine and Brissett legitimately gives the colts a better chance to win, you never know.

I think any team that starts Brissett does so because it builds around a big feature back though.

Dear JB,

Thank you for what you've done here in New England.

You were only here for a short time, but you showed a lot of toughness and competitiveness when it mattered. What's more, it can't have been easy coming in to this team, with the quality and reputation of the players in front of you.

From everything we've seen on the outside, you've been your own person, taking things in your own way, but being humble and willing to learn. No wonder those closest to you think so highly of you.

Don't take it too seriously when people talk about your throws being inaccurate or that you are taking too long to get the ball away. That's what it's like when you come in to the league. Just go and watch the G.O.A.T.'s games when he first started and see how often he was spraying his passes. The real questions are: Can you read the game? Can you lead a team? and, Can you learn? If you can do those things, you'll have a great career.

In any case, good luck!

Mike
Under the circumstances I wish Brissett the absolute worst of Luck.

Nice kid and I wish him luck - until he plays a game in Indy. I will never, ever, and another never, ever route for Indy in any way shape or form- even if Brady was traded to that sht house of a team.

With that said, I wish the Pats kept him. Good kid that was mature and a true professional.

Not with that power structure (Pagano, Irsay, etc) in place.

Whoever makes more, starts there. That's why they suck.

Truth? I think he's there for depth, and that's about it. I'm sure every time someone drops into a slot behind you on the depth chart, you pay attention a little... but he's not a threat to Luck. In Colts world, they know the deal... we've probably picked up a third-string guy better than their backup, that's just a given. But after tanking to get Luck, "The Chosen One" of both the Clots and the Geico commercials, he'd have to totally collapse for Brisket to be a factor... for now.

He could be starting the next Colts game.
Seems very likely to me. And if they had to bring on an emergency starter they did a great job finding themselves a good one.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back