PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby says goodbye (EDIT: and hello!)

Truth? I think he's there for depth, and that's about it. I'm sure every time someone drops into a slot behind you on the depth chart, you pay attention a little... but he's not a threat to Luck. In Colts world, they know the deal... we've probably picked up a third-string guy better than their backup, that's just a given. But after tanking to get Luck, "The Chosen One" of both the Clots and the Geico commercials, he'd have to totally collapse for Brisket to be a factor... for now.
Or it could be simpler than that. If Brissett is doing something as a fill in guy and it's the lost year the colts already know it is, keeping Luck off the field as much as possible may be in the Management's interest.

If you can exaggerate luck's injury and give the team to Brissett this year or most of this year, and Brissett wins say 5 games, then you have both good draft position and a healthy starting quarterback next year and maybe you can get more from Brissett in trade than you paid for him.

Pats fans would never stand for it but Colt fans seem to be more pliable. They might be grudgingly ok with a multiple season maneuver like this

I hope Brissett plays well enough to deliver the Colts to the playoffs but that Luck is playing when the Patriots crush them again.

I like Jacoby as a person, but I just can't do it. I wanted to root for the Browns but they ruined it by hiring that POS Ryan Grigson. They were making so many unusually (for the Browns) smart choices up until that point. Everything about the Colts and their fans makes me sick.
I will be rooting for him to be good but still lose.

Not a prediction but a curiosity. Could JB beat out Luck?

It he got a fair shot, maybe. But he won't.

The Colts and their fans are enamored with Luck, far beyond his production and demonstrated ability. They are CONVINCED that he is a top 3 QB. Look at the recent NFL Network rankings, by the NFL players themselves, where he was the #11 QB. Even that might be generous, but somewhere in the 10-14 range is likely right.

They make every excuse for him. Every bad decision is due to "no weapons" or "poor protection". Some of the excuses are valid but some are not. He is a mistake-prone injury-prone overrated gunslinger, but is treated like the chosen one.

Truth? I think he's there for depth, and that's about it. I'm sure every time someone drops into a slot behind you on the depth chart, you pay attention a little... but he's not a threat to Luck. In Colts world, they know the deal... we've probably picked up a third-string guy better than their backup, that's just a given. But after tanking to get Luck, "The Chosen One" of both the Clots and the Geico commercials, he'd have to totally collapse for Brisket to be a factor... for now.

I agree. I'm not sure Luck is starting the season and when he does play we'll see how his shoulder surgery went.

Anyways I do think JB has a better chance of beating out Luck in that offensive system than he would have beating out TB, or JG for that matter, in this one. But I do know it would be tough for him to unseat a healthy Luck.

I agree with all you posted but I don't view personnel moves from an emotional perspective.

I get emotional watching games, but I don't get too emotionally attached to backup players especially.

But I really do hope he finds success in the NFL. If not, in whatever he pursues

To each their own, I suppose.

I love watching back-ups step up when given the chance. James White was that guy once. So was Jules. And Brown.

Or guys who emerge here when finally given a chance, like Welker and Hogan.

Heck, even TB12 started out as QB4.

And whether you feel emotion or not, there's nothing wrong with showing appreciation for a guy who was a professional day in and day out for the organization, helped us win a few games, and made us a better team.

I think BB is one of the best in the business when it comes to being impartial and keeping the emotion out of decisions, but I think he'd also be the first to confess there are actual emotions that exist and need to be pushed away during those decisions.

To each their own, I suppose.

I love watching back-ups step up when given the chance. James White was that guy once. So was Jules. And Brown.

Or guys who emerge here when finally given a chance, like Welker and Hogan.

Heck, even TB12 started out as QB4.

And whether you feel emotion or not, there's nothing wrong with showing appreciation for a guy who was a professional day in and day out for the organization, helped us win a few games, and made us a better team.

I think BB is one of the best in the business when it comes to being impartial and keeping the emotion out of decisions, but I think he'd also be the first to confess there are actual emotions that exist and need to be pushed away during those decisions.
Sure, but Belichick actually gets to know his players through daily personal contact.

All we do is read about them and watch them play. I'm super emotionally attached to the team and I get fired up during games.

Brisset was here for just one year. He was a good team member.

Now if we traded JG, I'd understand fans being disappointed. But Jacoby isn't on his level

Sure, but Belichick actually gets to know his players through daily personal contact.

All we do is read about them and watch them play. I'm super emotionally attached to the team and I get fired up during games.

Brisset was here for just one year. He was a good team member.

Now if we traded JG, I'd understand fans being disappointed. But Jacoby isn't on his level

I think there's a difference between understanding and agreeing.

You keep saying you don't understand why people were attached to him. But I think what you mean is you don't agree with it.

People take on binkies for all sorts of different reasons. Sometimes they work out. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they last a few years. Sometimes they grow up to be superstars. Sometimes they're gone in a heartbeat.

In any event, he's gone, some of us are sad to see him go, some don't care, life goes on.

Brissett won us a game we were "supposed" to lose. That by itself will endear a player to a fan base. Especially a guy making the most of limited playing time who showed both real intelligence and real grit in doing so.

And I for one appreciated that he was willing to take the ball in game 4 with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. He could have said no sorry coach, I'm injured and everyone would have understood a broken thumb meant he couldn't go and bb would have found some grocery bagger to take the start, instead he proved that he's a competitor who wants the ball and will play through an injury. Call it cliche if you want, personally I respect that a great deal

Last edited:
Not realistic for him to start I guess . but stranger things have happened..

Brissett is more the long term 3 year back up than a quick emergency starter i think, Chuck Pagano is the big loser here, the new GM isn't going to put Luck at risk it's a long term rebuild for him and his QB is 27, every loss leads to Pagano being unemployed next year and Ballard hiring his own guy.

Brissett showed some talent & he looked tough to sack because of his strength. I did see a little too much Byron Leftwich with his long release.

I am not sure how the Garoppalo saga will play out, but I would love to have Mason Rudolph Fall to the patriots at #32. I believe he is the best QB of an exciting 2018 draft.

Probably won't happen..... but it don't hurt to dream.

The fact he had a 8 to 1 TD to int last year, must have caught Belichicks attention.

I think it's fair to say that no player in Patriots history who played in only three games, (coming in as a backup and helping win one game, starting and winning a second game and starting and losing a third game while playing with a busted thumb) has had a greater impact or left a more lasting impression on this organization.

I wish nothing but the best to Jacoby Brissett except, of course, when he plays against the Patriots.

Jacoby says hello!

like expected enters for Tolzien before week 1 is over

2nd and 5 at IND 45
(13:34 - 4th) J.Brissett pass deep left to D.Moncrief to LA 5 for 50 yards (B.Countess)

and 1st Jacoby drive goes for TD
_

He should write a book on how to get playing time as #3 QB..

Jacoby says hello!

like expected enters for Tolzien before week 1 is over

2nd and 5 at IND 45
(13:34 - 4th) J.Brissett pass deep left to D.Moncrief to LA 5 for 50 yards (B.Countess)

and 1st Jacoby drive goes for TD
_

He should write a book on how to get playing time as #3 QB..
He is a student at the Tom Brady school of competitive quarterbacking, it does not take him long to make a case

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back