PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brissett: 2/3 for 51 Yards, 1 TD

It was also his best opportunity to start at all. No organization that was very much better than the Colts would have Jacoby Brissett in the conversation for their starting quarterback right now.

I agree he would not be given the starting nod on many teams, given the fact Brissett is still a relative rookie. But if the team is a hot mess and cannot protect, then he cannot really make anything of the defenders pounding him into the ground as a starter. Lack of offensive support is not the fault of the QB, yet the QB receives the blame in many respects for not producing.

He has the spotlight, so if he shines it could be great for his career (1 pass will not be enough). If he fails in that spotlight, whether it is his fault or not, then it could be catastrophic to his career - more so than if he never took the field as a starter (he already did that with the Pats last year) as there have been career backups who rarely if ever saw the field as a starter. Here's hoping it works out for him.

Brissett is used to the survive-until-you-can-chuck-it environment of the Colts. That's what he had in college. Between that and the coaching he got with the Pats and the preparation example set by Brady, I think he'll do well enough that there will be a QB controversy when Luck comes back.

If the Colts get the better end of the deal so be it, he would most likely be cut here or traded for peanuts. We got potential value in Dorsett, now remains to be seen if this potential will become reality.

I don't get this obsession some have with getting the better end of a trade, of course you need to have a measuring stick and you can't fail every time otherwise you suck at doing trades but there are 2 types of trades, there are the risk trades, usually involving a high cost, so I would say those are Bets and you need to get the return of that trade failed. And there are the mutual benefit trades, where both teams win. This is one of those cases, just like the Celtics/Cavs trade. Both teams have assets (minor in the Pats/Colts, major in the Celtics/Cavs) that is not in their long term plan or are not very useful right now or you will not be able to afford the new contract the player will demand. Eventually, in the future, some team will get this "trophy" of winning the trade but right now it's just about recoup some value for a sunk cost.

Not sure what a back up QB would prefer: A) sit comfortably in Brady's wheelhouse while collecting SB rings sitting on the bench, or B) being a football player who gets to actually play in football games but having to constantly lose while getting repeatedly pounded into the ground because the OL is terrible.

Option A sounds divine, but I'd think I'd choose B if I were a competitive football player. Especially if I already did A for a year. Not sure.

He should start, Tolzien is a CFL quality QB, might not even be CFL starting quality QB.

Did not see him play but I am happy for him. Since I saw him play for us last year, I thought he was going to be a starter in the NFL and he will be.

Not sure what a back up QB would prefer: A) sit comfortably in Brady's wheelhouse while collecting SB rings sitting on the bench, or B) being a football player who gets to actually play in football games but having to constantly lose while getting repeatedly pounded into the ground because the OL is terrible.

Option A sounds divine, but I'd think I'd choose B if I were a competitive football player. Especially if I already did A for a year. Not sure.

I don't think Brissett's ceiling is as a backup QB. Not to stretch this too far but Steve Young had problems on the Bucs before he became a good running/throwing QB. I think there's a decent (not huge but decent) chance Brissett becomes something given all his intangibles and physical tools. Let's not forget Brady was a nobody before.

It could even be his big break.

Agreed, if he plays well for 4 weeks he could probably create a Matt Schaub-like opportunity for himself. And Houston is looking for a QB again ironically !

Agreed, if he plays well for 4 weeks he could probably create a Matt Schaub-like opportunity for himself. And Houston is looking for a QB again ironically !
Yes interesting, especially because Brissett's best audition so far was the shutout against... Houston

He also saved the Colts 5 points (not that it matters) by diving on a loose ball (not Brissett's fault) in the end zone, takeing the safety instead of the defensive TD.

I would not be surprised if he is named the starter (assuming Luck's injury continues to keep him out)

Ron Rivera needs to show film of that to Cam.

all the talk about Luck coming back and being the starter is assuming that Luck comes back as good as he was before the injury and surgical repair. There is no guarantee that the shoulder surgery did not affect his throwing mechanics. He might come back and be unable to compete for his old job, this year or ever. Or he might be unable to come back at all. Nobody knows, yet.

Yes interesting, especially because Brissett's best audition so far was the shutout against... Houston

And O'Brien is from the BB coaching tree. Houston looks like a potential fit !

Pagano backtracking a bit on the report that he'll definitely be the starter this week. ESPN reported that he claims that a decision hasn't been made, yet.

Pagano backtracking a bit on the report that he'll definitely be the starter this week. ESPN reported that he claims that a decision hasn't been made, yet.
I read that as the colts brain trust having made the decision to tank with tolzein and pagano wanting Brissett to try and save his job

Another thread about Jacoby. Where's all the Dorsett threads? Newsflash...Jacoby is not a patriot anymore and he never will be again. He plays for a hated rival the colts.

Another thread about Jacoby. Where's all the Dorsett threads? Newsflash...Jacoby is not a patriot anymore and he never will be again. He plays for a hated rival the colts.

You're more than welcome to post in one of the gloom and doom threads :)

Jim Irsay would like to slur a few incoherent words for all you doubters of his football competencies...

Imagine *IF* Jacoby learns the Colts system and in a few weeks turns in a decent performance. Would the conventional wisdom on this site be that the Colts fleeced us? :confused:

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back