SOURCE:WEEI

SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

It would be wise to draft another QB (ala, Jimmy & Jacoby).. Who in April?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by zipster9, Jan 23, 2020.

1. zipster9

zipster9 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +967
    I'd like :

Burrow
    Tua Tagovailoa
    Eason

I'd pass on:

Jordan Love
    Jalen Hurts
    Justin Herbert
    Jake Fromm
    Bryce Perkins

2. sportnik

sportnik On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Don’t forget Stidham. I’ll be surprised if he’s not better than Jacoby within a few years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. farn

farn Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,526
    You’re passing on the QBs that might still be on the board... QBs are difficult to assess. Even “sure things” bomb out. Some, like Wilson or Brady, far exceed. It’s not an easy task, which is why I like NE getting a QB every year. Once in a while, you are bound to hit on a good one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Chevy

Chevy PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,200
    I threw up a little bit when I saw "Eason" in your list?

I guess 37 years isn't long enough.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,959
    I had the same feeling but no relation, it would be hard for us old times to get past the name though.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. miloofcroton

miloofcroton On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +419
    Burrow and Tua will go top 5. Obviously, would love to have one of them.

My sleeper is Jordan Love. To me, his ceiling is either a very good game manager that can throw it as well as Kirk Cousins but has much better mobility, or his arm talent brings him closer to the next Pat Mahomes. Either way, I think he has loads of potential and represents the best QB who won't go in the top 5 of the draft.

It's very important to me that a QB is able to 'run an offense' and his skills serve him in doing so. That means a QB that won't be a hazard with slow feet and a slow release in the pocket (Eason and Herbert concern me here), an arm that can chuck it 50 yards without significant crow hopping (looking at you, Fromm), and accuracy that doesn't require wide open receivers at all times (Herbert, Hurts). These standards sound low, but I'm talking about these things at an NFL level.

If you have a decent enough QB, you can expand your playbook and have him function as part of your machine. I'll take this approach over trying to find the next star gunslinger. Most gunslingers don't become superstars, and the ones that don't hold back an offense more than they help it. And in fact, the elite of the elite sometimes start as game managers anyways, not gunslingers (looking at you, Brady).

This philosophy flies in the face of the concept that the NFL is a 'QB-driven' league. These people would accept slow feet and releases because they want to pass all game. Running the ball, using play action, and avoiding pass rush (if you take the Air Raid approach) seem less important in this context. They would accept a weaker arm sometimes because they focus so much on complex short and intermediate passing (with tons of containment plays), and they sometimes care less about stretching the field (and again, they care less about play action). They would accept lesser accuracy because they think it's a trainable thing, and they're looking for 'high potential guys'. And if you're throwing 30-40 times a game, what're a few misthrows? A misthrow is much more important when you throw it just 15-20 times a game.

I'm not expecting Lamar Jackson speed, Ryan Mallett arm, and Drew Brees accuracy. I'm just saying that people tend to overlook weaknesses whenever there is a superlative QB attribute because they want to exploit it with high passing volume. I'm saying high passing volume is not the goal, so this exploit is not a good strategy. Let's seek competence across the board first, then look for superlatives.

My goal would be to build a machine that works with anyone at QB and to find QBs which allow this machine to continue to operate, first and foremost.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  7. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,296
    I've never even watched old footage of our Eason and seeing that name on the draft board makes me nervous. Obviously the team shouldn't care about that but it won't stop me.

8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +35,652
    That would be no surprise at all, most NFL quarterbacks are better than Jacoby.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. miloofcroton

miloofcroton On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +419
    He's good at running an offense though. Much like Tannehill. They can make throws, move around, and stretch the field. Not saying they are great, but I think they suit a running offense better than a lot of throwers.

10. primetime

primetime Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +14,099
    Plenty of guys with first names that start with J this year. Jordan, Jake, Jalen, Justin...

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  11. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28,893
    Knowing the Patriots, they’ll probably draft some guy whose name doesn’t even start with J.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +24,775
    I would rather go the Teddy Bridgewater root ...
    Tank a bit and roll the dice on 2021 draft .........
    Beef up the OL and DL this draft ......

13. zipster9

Ratings:
    +967
    It would be more likely that they sign a "bridge-QB" if Brady is not re-signed....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TheAdultintheRoom

TheAdultintheRoom Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +819
    The thing I don't understand is the incredibly high number of people on this board just assuming that Jarrett Stidham is the next great franchise QB. Based on what? He's a fourth round pick. The only time I saw him play against NFL competition, he came into a game in the fourth quarter, threw a pick six, and they pulled him right back out.

There are people here that always way overestimate Patriots players. An embarrassing number of people were talking about Danny Etling being our next QB, which was ludicrous from day one.

When Harry is terrible, it's too early to judge him. Yet we're sure Stidham is a stud based on a lot less evidence (like zero).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pape

Pape Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +868
    Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma would be my pick

16. primetime

Ratings:
    +14,099
    I don't remember a single poster here talking about Etling as a potential starter except in vague potentiality ways.

Believe it or not, nobody on this board has any control over what the Patriots do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  17. zipster9

Ratings:
    +967
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  18. primetime

Ratings:
    +14,099
    Reports on Love are going to be all over the map. He threw a lot of picks that were his fault, he doesn't go through progressions real well, and his arm talent and athleticism comparables are Mahomes or Rodgers. For everyone who sees Mahomes, someone else will see Paxton Lynch. What you someone thinks about Jordan Love says more about them than about Jordan Love.

That said, he's exactly the kind of quarterback I love, so. But he absolutely should've transferred to Oklahoma or something and played a fifth year.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28,893
    I don’t understand how people devote this much time to scouting QBs, but in 2017 I started following all this, and up until a few weeks before the draft, Patrick Mahomes was rated as a mid-round pick and then a “dark horse” for first round about a week prior to the draft. And after watching him play for ONE series, it is extremely obvious he was going to be an all-pro level QB.

20. primetime

Ratings:
    +14,099
    He wouldn't have been the first or fifth Air Raid guy with immense talent to have been completely lost in the pros, but that was basically the entire argument against him (well and concerns he'd play baseball)

Memories of Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, etc. are strong.

• Agree Agree x 1