PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Trey Lance worth Patriots to trade up to get?

ok go television GIF by AMPYA

I have a bigger issue with Fields...he runs from adversity. See: his exit from UGA and particularly HOW that was orchestrated. Got beat out (well...sort of. Kirby had an odd thing with Fromm) and then pretends he is leaving because the school is racist so he can get a waiver.

Add to that he isn’t known as a super hard worker locally...not sure he fits here. Great athlete, but I have mental toughness questions when things don’t go his way.
1)Kirby is the only one that looks bad out of the Georgia situation. How did that work out for him, not very well to say the least.

Players transfer all the time. It has nothing to do with "running from adversity" lol. Did Mac Jones run from adversity. He knew he wasn't ready. Transferred. Knew he could sit comfortably behind Tua & Hurts and wait for his opportunity.

2)There's absolutely nothing to suggest Fields isn't a hard worker.

Does anyone know what it's called when you start an article by describing some random irrelevant scene before the reader actually knows what the article is about (apart from a title) and before getting into the purpose of the article?

Like an article about astrophysics will start "Jack was standing waiting for a train. The wind was howling through the busy outdoor terminal..." before it gets to "...so the thing about black holes..."

Seems like every hipster tool is doing that these days. Doesn't surprise me ESPN does it too.
I know exactly what you mean. It’s like they think they’re writing a Newbery medal winning novel.

“It was a warm Sunday morning. His eyes glistened like the grape jelly on his toast, reflecting the California sunlight. It was the day a young Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. would finally visit Candlestick Park, and meet the hero he would one day surpass.”

And then a couple paragraphs later they’ll finally get to the point. Knowing ESPN, it’d be something like “here’s why Brady’s legacy is so complicated”.

I have a bigger issue with Fields...he runs from adversity. See: his exit from UGA and particularly HOW that was orchestrated. Got beat out (well...sort of. Kirby had an odd thing with Fromm) and then pretends he is leaving because the school is racist so he can get a waiver.
Add to that he isn’t known as a super hard worker locally...not sure he fits here. Great athlete, but I have mental toughness questions when things don’t go his way.

I dunno. Joe Burrow 'ran' from OSU to LSU. Did you hold that against him ??

I think better's point was that QB's taken high actually, you know, get a chance to play and prove it, whereas teams typically drafting a QB later are looking for someone to carry a clipboard and spit bucket.
Sometimes carrying a clipboard is better than having a loser setback your team three years as a bust top 10 QB

This article is a puff piece, but this is an interesting quote.

"Trey is probably the hardest evaluation I've had to do in 11 years," says ESPN draft scout Matt Miller. "Seventeen starts is a very small picture to get a complete idea of who a player is, and it's not only 17 but 17 against FCS competition. But in those games, I've never seen a player so dominant. If you trust the tape, he should be the No. 2 quarterback taken in the draft, behind [Trevor] Lawrence."

Way to cover all of your bases, Matthew. How about actually putting your balls on the line and telling us if you DO trust the tape or NOT, bc those are the big boy decisions that NFL GMs have to make, many at the risk of their job security.

Also, if you trust the tape (meaning that he wasn’t just a man among boys bc of the FCS competition) and you’ve “never seen a player so dominant”, shouldn’t you say something earth-shattering (and click-worthy) and state draft that you would draft him first?

Does anyone know what it's called when you start an article by describing some random irrelevant scene before the reader actually knows what the article is about (apart from a title) and before getting into the purpose of the article?

Like an article about astrophysics will start "Jack was standing waiting for a train. The wind was howling through the busy outdoor terminal..." before it gets to "...so the thing about black holes..."

Seems like every hipster tool is doing that these days. Doesn't surprise me ESPN does it too.

"1941. London. The Blitz has turned even the staunchest atheist among us to prayer. I myself hadn't spoken to God in years... I had never forgiven him for the death of my father. But the shelling never stopped. Such an unnatural bombardment of evil from the heavens... I swore the only way to combat it was with a power higher than my own. It's what got me through the war in the end... that and this bomb ass recipe for gluten free brownies!"

Last edited:
I dunno. Joe Burrow 'ran' from OSU to LSU. Did you hold that against him
1)Kirby is the only one that looks bad out of the Georgia situation. How did that work out for him, not very well to say the least.

Players transfer all the time. It has nothing to do with "running from adversity" lol. Did Mac Jones run from adversity. He knew he wasn't ready. Transferred. Knew he could sit comfortably behind Tua & Hurts and wait for his opportunity.

2)There's absolutely nothing to suggest Fields isn't a hard worker.
Absolutely fair RE Kirby...Fromm shouldn’t have been handed that job.
Back to fields...I am CERTAIN one of the draft guru types said his intel was that Fields was a “last in, first out” guy. IF TRUE, add that to leaving GA and it just is a concern for a team like the Pats which demands unusual football dedication.

But...I will admit, those comments could have been BS.

Ouch. This one hurts.

Hmm. That’s quite the hot take. He has another one for Zach Wilson, the quarterback his former employer is looking at with their pick. Says Wilson is a third round grade for him and that he will get everyone fired:

Knows how to raise some eyebrows that’s for certain.

According to that "scout," Fields is No. 1, followed by Big Mac.

According to that "scout," Fields is No. 1, followed by Big Mac.
Weird that he would trash Lance for holding a 2nd pro day. Didn’t fields have 2 as well?

Ummm he worked with BB when he was with the Jets. You say the same thing about BB?
Just look at the Jets history of drafting Quarterbacks. Should we trust a Jets scout?

BB was named Jets coach for about 5 minutes before he turned in his resignation.

LOL. Context man, context.

As far as the 'scouting report' goes it sounds like a hot take from a guy who just wants to generate hits. Cos guess what, controversy generates more clicks than going with the status quo.

But the stuff that goes out of this man's mouth it almost sounds like he has something personal against the kid. Comes off as a hit piece aimed at dropping Lance's draft stock.

excerpt:
"I can unequivocally say Trey Lance does not remotely have what it takes when I compare him against those who have had success in the league."

I also don't like scouting reports that are phrased with absolutes. Everything is a projection with these young men but to say, well he absolutely can't succeed in the NFL? Really, based on what?

And why was this scout so "OFFENDED" that he felt sick to his stomach while Lance performed at his second Pro day? Again it feels like a hit piece with a personal vendetta.

excerpt:
"The only thing I felt watching Lance at his pro days, which was like watching America’s Got Talent, special football edition, was this pervasive feeling of low level energy Lance’s body language was strongly communicating. I also did not like what I saw in his eyes. I got a strong physical pain in my stomach even watching him as he milked it for every second he could with the NFL Films crew up in his face capturing every drop of sweat that fell from his supposed overexerted body (after almost every throw). It was downright sickening and a mockery to the game itself. "

How are Pro Days a mockery to the game? They are used to showcase the talents of young men who are just trying to get a chance in the NFL.

I just can't trust this 'scout's' draft report because he just uses too many absolutes and comes off as agenda driven against Trey Lance. If someone feels downright 'sickened' by watching a prospect perform, they shouldn't be in the scouting business.

What it looks like is that Mr former ex-jets scout is in the actual business of generating clicks by stirring controversy about top QB prospects in this upcoming draft. The fact that he writes an absolute demolition piece against Trey Lance is the sickening part. Yes he may have generated a few thousand more clicks for himself, but if he unfairly and purposefully cause an NFL prospect to slide down the draft, he actually and negatively affected somebody's career and income.

Just look at the Jets history of drafting Quarterbacks. Should we trust a Jets scout?

BB was named Jets coach for about 5 minutes before he turned in his resignation.

As far as the 'scouting report' goes it sounds like a hot take from a guy who just wants to generate hits. Cos guess what, controversy generates more clicks than going with the status quo.

But the stuff that goes out of this man's mouth it almost sounds like he has something personal against the kid. Comes off as a hit piece aimed at dropping Lance's draft stock.

excerpt:
"I can unequivocally say Trey Lance does not remotely have what it takes when I compare him against those who have had success in the league."

I also don't like scouting reports that are phrased with absolutes. Everything is a projection with these young men but to say, well he absolutely can't succeed in the NFL? Really, based on what?

And why was this scout so "OFFENDED" that he felt sick to his stomach while Lance performed at his second Pro day? Again it feels like a hit piece with a personal vendetta.

excerpt:
"The only thing I felt watching Lance at his pro days, which was like watching America’s Got Talent, special football edition, was this pervasive feeling of low level energy Lance’s body language was strongly communicating. I also did not like what I saw in his eyes. I got a strong physical pain in my stomach even watching him as he milked it for every second he could with the NFL Films crew up in his face capturing every drop of sweat that fell from his supposed overexerted body (after almost every throw). It was downright sickening and a mockery to the game itself. "

How are Pro Days a mockery to the game? They are used to showcase the talents of young men who are just trying to get a chance in the NFL.

I just can't trust this 'scout's' draft report because he just uses too many absolutes and comes off as agenda driven against Trey Lance. If someone feels downright 'sickened' by watching a prospect perform, they shouldn't be in the scouting business.

What it looks like is that Mr former ex-jets scout is in the actual business of generating clicks by stirring controversy about top QB prospects in this upcoming draft. The fact that he writes an absolute demolition piece against Trey Lance is the sickening part. Yes he may have generated a few thousand more clicks for himself, but if he unfairly and purposefully cause an NFL prospect to slide down the draft, he actually and negatively affected somebody's career and income.
I agree, it reads like a hit piece. Heavily biased against Lance. Gives me the impression he made up his mind about Lance before even seeing the Pro Day. From there it was just him seeing red. There are very real concerns about the lack of tape on him, and the level of competition he faced. He’s considered riskier than the other top QB prospects for that reason. But it’s very extreme to suggest anyone who drafts him should be fired on the spot. Pretty bizarre behavior to react that way about a prospect.

I had never heard of this guy until today. Like you said, controversial takes generate clicks. The Felger/Mazz approach when it comes to radio. There’s probably a reason why he hasn’t been back in the league since his time with Parcells’ Jets (which was over two decades ago).

excerpt:

excerpt:

It would help to not just be ignorant for a second and actually research what you are saying. 1. I am the messenger. I did not say I agreed with the article. I posted it because it is a very interesting read. 2. This guy not only worked with multiple teams, but he worked with Pioli, Parcels, and Belichick. It has nothing to do with BB being the Jets coach for 5 minutes. Belichick was with the Giants from 1979–1990 and the Jets 1997–1999.

If QB#5 is still there at #10 or #11, the price to pay to move up from #15 should not be so huge. If it were Fields or Lance, I'd do it in heartbeat. I am a little torn if it's Jones. I hope that SF takes Jones at #3, since that should make Fields or Lance slide AT LEAST to 7, and maybe even to 11. I don't think 15, though.

Absolutely fair RE Kirby...Fromm shouldn’t have been handed that job.
Back to fields...I am CERTAIN one of the draft guru types said his intel was that Fields was a “last in, first out” guy. IF TRUE, add that to leaving GA and it just is a concern for a team like the Pats which demands unusual football dedication.

But...I will admit, those comments could have been BS.
Kirby is one hell of a coach but laughed at in the coaching circle for pretending to be Nick Saban. He's borderline obsessed. Works for him in a way but it's a blind spot on a personal level, relating to players.

But the Fields situation was a disaster for him. Just awful projection.

Regarding "last one in" or w/e that's nonsense. Just bs. Dan Orlovsky passed on similar comments in which he should be embarrassed by. It's not his job to pass on bs he "hears". Coaches and players laughed at them. Fields has been working with former pro players and coaches since he was 15. Small amount of time and research will show he's a worker.

It's a shame this happens but it is what it is. I can't imagine if he had a dui on him. Dumb ass relative posting stupid pics. A dad bod with limited arm talent.

The good is this exposes a lot of people for who they are. Like that draft diamonds article. I actually contributed to that site before it went down the toilet. Shame they're even giving that guy a voice.

Sorry if this comes off a certain way. I just hate the way people talk about 19-21 yo sometimes. The media just rushes through this process every year and it shows in the worst ways.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back