PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Trey Lance worth Patriots to trade up to get?

I’m really warming up to Mond I don’t see Fields or Lance having more of a ceiling.
It’s the Chris Simms and JT O’Sullivan reports but I think this kid is going to be really good. Davis Mills is kind of erratic but I’d take a flyer in the third or fourth on him.
Waddle in the first Mond in the second would be awesome. In my opinion.

Now I loved Lock and Stidham. And Wentz, and I hit on Josh Allen who I loved, I didn’t like Mahommes I loved Watson and I didn’t love Kyler Murray due to his short stature. Based on this and that McDaniels loves Mond maybe we should run far away from him.

Mond may be a safer bet at this point. I don't know if the odds that Lance or Wilson are franchise QBs is all that much higher than Mond.

And look at the top QBs of today and you will see that there are just as many QBs drafted outside the first round or late in the first round as there are drafted in the top ten. And the last QB drafted in the top 10 picks who is a can't miss HOF is Peyton Manning and that was over 20 years ago that he was drafted. Luck may get in, but it is doubtful. Eli may get in just because of his rings. But Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Wilson were all drafted later than the top ten.

Why would you consider fields risky? Can you give some reasons?
Sure. What we're talking about is Fields,Jones and Lance.
I have seen pretty much all of Jones starts and a lot of Fields. So lets compare them.
Competion: roughly the same. Sec is tougher but not a lot tougher. Quality competition for both. Both were mostly successful.
I dont read draft gurus etc. Im going strictly by what I have seen. Jones makes quicker decisions. And more often, better decisions.This leads me to assume he reads Ds better. Both are very accurate, so thats great. I dont give a rats azz about running ability or athleticism. Irrelevant.
Im not down on Fields. He could end up being better than Jones. His ceiling is Watson w/o the baggage. Thats a very high ceiling. Higher than Joneses imo.
But Jones has a higher floor. No chance Jones is a bust. None. He will be at least a decent nfl starter. Fields has looked very hesitant to me many times. Less decisive. Other than that hes a great prospect. I would feel better about drafting him if Brady were still here. Learn from the best. I worry about him just having Cam and Josh to learn from.
On paper Id rather go with Lance but hes faced weak comp.
Bottom line, Andy, I agree with you on one thing: Pats need to get one of those3. All 3 have flaws all 3 have big potential.

I have seen pretty much all of Jones starts and a lot of Fields. So lets compare them.
Competion: roughly the same. Sec is tougher but not a lot tougher. Quality competition for both. Both were mostly successful.
I dont read draft gurus etc. Im going strictly by what I have seen. Jones makes quicker decisions. And more often, better decisions.This leads me to assume he reads Ds better. Both are very accurate, so thats great. I dont give a rats azz about running ability or athleticism. Irrelevant.
Im not down on Fields. He could end up being better than Jones. His ceiling is Watson w/o the baggage. Thats a very high ceiling. Higher than Joneses imo.
But Jones has a higher floor. No chance Jones is a bust. None. He will be at least a decent nfl starter. Fields has looked very hesitant to me many times. Less decisive. Other than that hes a great prospect. I would feel better about drafting him if Brady were still here. Learn from the best. I worry about him just having Cam and Josh to learn from.
Bottom line, Andy, I agree with you on one thing: Pats need to get one of those3. All 3 have flaws all 3 have big potential.

I’m a mac jones guy as well. I hope 49ers take Fields. The media wants them to draft Fields because he has a higher ceiling yadda yadda. I saw him go to the wrong read on two throws against northwestern. Had a wide open td and threw it to the wrong read.

agreed on much of this - pretty sure Jones will be at least a Tannehill........but not sure he'll get a lot higher, either.......of all of the QB's outside of QB1/2, he's the safest pick.......but the question is how high is that safety worth moving up for, when the ceiling may be not much more than an average NFL starter........some may say the safety of drafting an average NFL starter (especially one with his skillset) IS MORE worth moving up for than moving up for a greater risk.......SF might agree with this.....hell, i might agree with this at this point, when looking at QBs 3-7.....

if one is looking at a higher risk/potential higher reward option at QB, then the margin DOES decrease......

i am starting to think it breaks down to: QB 1 & 2 (consensus Lawrence/Wilson) seem to be fairly safe, although folks thought Rick Mirer was safe, too, and while he was in the league 10 years and a mid range starter at times, he wasn't pick 2 talent........

Jones - might not have the 3rd highest ceiling, but def doesn't have the #7 floor, either......he's the safest bet outside of the top 2 to be a decent NFL starter........so it depends on how teams value that? some may say i don't want to invest high draft capital for an average NFL starter, if i'm spending a high #1 (or multiples if i have to move up), then i want more bang for my buck.......while other teams are sitting there thinking if i am going to risk this much draft capital on a QB that ISN'T lawrence or wilson, i'd better at least get a decent starter out of it, so he's our guy......then there's a few who are just clamoring for a chance to grab Pitts, who is a game changing/positional defining freak haha

with the rest of the QBs it really, really comes down to risk/reward and that perceived floor/ceiling and where they see the percentages playing out..........some teams see the Lance high ceiling and will think he's worth the risk of a higher pick to take that chance (even if it means giving up MORE capital to move up), while others are going to say "i can grab a mond later on, with a lower ceiling, but similar skillset/similar chance to hit HIS ceiling, while investing far less draft capital...

there's so much at play here it is fascinating to watch it play out, if one can remove themselves of having their favorite team in the middle of it all......some here are really not known for their pragmatic objectivity either with this team or their own opinions ;)

i am starting to think if we can get jones for not a really high cost that he might be worthy of a shot, which is different than what i previously thought....i am not enamored with him, but i think the lower risk IF coupled with a reasonable draft investment, he's worth looking at.....especially if it involves no jump from 15 or a slight move up (a month ago i was dead against him at 15 haha)

beyond that, i am really thinking i'd like to see BPA at 15, with a move back up at some point to take the highest rated of the rest of the pack.......i think that puts the team in the best position long term moving forward

but it's BB, so really who the **** knows

I will add my comments to each topic.
Completion: roughly the same. Sec is tougher but not a lot tougher. Quality competition for both. Both were mostly successful.
I dont read draft gurus etc. Im going strictly by what I have seen.
what is very different is supporting cast. Fields did not have anywhere near the wr talent Jones did.

Jones makes quicker decisions. And more often, better decisions.This leads me to assume he reads Ds better. Both are very accurate, so thats great. I dont give a rats azz about running ability or athleticism. Irrelevant.
We disagree on a couple of things here. Fields made a lot of while field reads, and went through progressions very well. Jones had his first read open a lot. (See above for why) That may make it look like Jones makes quicker decisions but it’s not really the case. Throwing to your first read looks quick and decisive while going through progressions can look like a slower decision, but really isn’t. Mobility matters. I don’t want a “running QB” but one that can move and is athletic can extend plays and create opportunities.

But Jones has a higher floor. No chance Jones is a bust. None. He will be at least a decent nfl starter.
I can easily see Jones being a bust. What you have never seen about him is how he deals with pressure. That’s the biggest risk factor in a QB he isn’t going to have wide open receivers and all day to throw at the next level.
Fields has looked very hesitant to me many times. Less decisive. Other than that hes a great prospect. I would feel better about drafting him if Brady were still here. Learn from the best. I worry about him just having Cam and Josh to learn from.
Again we disagree here. I’ve seen every snap of fields OSU career. I think you are penalizing him because he has had mediocre wr talent. Easy to do because OSU has had good WR corps for years now but without question the last 2 years were the worst in a long time.
Coming off the covered first read isn’t a negative for a qb it’s experience in doing what he will have to excel at in the nfl.
I think the biggest fail factor with a lot of college QBs is that they played in offenses QBs with receivers who were always open from both scheme and talent differential and when they have to make decisions and go through progressions they struggle. I see this as one of the reasons fields is the most nfl ready.

[quite]
You didn’t say much about Lance and im surprised you consider him less of a risk because he may not have yet played against an nfl caliber player.

agreed on much of this - pretty sure Jones will be at least a Tannehill........but not sure he'll get a lot higher, either.......of all of the QB's outside of QB1/2, he's the safest pick.......but the question is how high is that safety worth moving up for, when the ceiling may be not much more than an average NFL starter........some may say the safety of drafting an average NFL starter (especially one with his skillset) IS MORE worth moving up for than moving up for a greater risk.......SF might agree with this.....hell, i might agree with this at this point, when looking at QBs 3-7.....

if one is looking at a higher risk/potential higher reward option at QB, then the margin DOES decrease......

i am starting to think it breaks down to: QB 1 & 2 (consensus Lawrence/Wilson) seem to be fairly safe, although folks thought Rick Mirer was safe, too, and while he was in the league 10 years and a mid range starter at times, he wasn't pick 2 talent........

Jones - might not have the 3rd highest ceiling, but def doesn't have the #7 floor, either......he's the safest bet outside of the top 2 to be a decent NFL starter........so it depends on how teams value that? some may say i don't want to invest high draft capital for an average NFL starter, if i'm spending a high #1 (or multiples if i have to move up), then i want more bang for my buck.......while other teams are sitting there thinking if i am going to risk this much draft capital on a QB that ISN'T lawrence or wilson, i'd better at least get a decent starter out of it, so he's our guy......then there's a few who are just clamoring for a chance to grab Pitts, who is a game changing/positional defining freak haha

with the rest of the QBs it really, really comes down to risk/reward and that perceived floor/ceiling and where they see the percentages playing out..........some teams see the Lance high ceiling and will think he's worth the risk of a higher pick to take that chance (even if it means giving up MORE capital to move up), while others are going to say "i can grab a mond later on, with a lower ceiling, but similar skillset/similar chance to hit HIS ceiling, while investing far less draft capital...

there's so much at play here it is fascinating to watch it play out, if one can remove themselves of having their favorite team in the middle of it all......some here are really not known for their pragmatic objectivity either with this team or their own opinions ;)

i am starting to think if we can get jones for not a really high cost that he might be worthy of a shot, which is different than what i previously thought....i am not enamored with him, but i think the lower risk IF coupled with a reasonable draft investment, he's worth looking at.....especially if it involves no jump from 15 or a slight move up (a month ago i was dead against him at 15 haha)

beyond that, i am really thinking i'd like to see BPA at 15, with a move back up at some point to take the highest rated of the rest of the pack.......i think that puts the team in the best position long term moving forward

but it's BB, so really who the **** knows

I think jones has upside. I think he can even be a franchise QB and not a game manager. People think that but i really don’t see that. He’s not flashy like fields or lance. All see we these days are dual QBs but jones can actually move and make a throw in the pocket. His field awareness is a lot better than Fields.

Naw go watch the northwestern game . The guy is slow to process things . I saw him go to the wrong read twice.
I watched every snap of his buckeye career, you are wrong.

I will add my comments to each topic.

what is very different is supporting cast. Fields did not have anywhere near the wr talent Jones did.

We disagree on a couple of things here. Fields made a lot of while field reads, and went through progressions very well. Jones had his first read open a lot. (See above for why) That may make it look like Jones makes quicker decisions but it’s not really the case. Throwing to your first read looks quick and decisive while going through progressions can look like a slower decision, but really isn’t. Mobility matters. I don’t want a “running QB” but one that can move and is athletic can extend plays and create opportunities.

I can easily see Jones being a bust. What you have never seen about him is how he deals with pressure. That’s the biggest risk factor in a QB he isn’t going to have wide open receivers and all day to throw at the next level.

Again we disagree here. I’ve seen every snap of fields OSU career. I think you are penalizing him because he has had mediocre wr talent. Easy to do because OSU has had good WR corps for years now but without question the last 2 years were the worst in a long time.
Coming off the covered first read isn’t a negative for a qb it’s experience in doing what he will have to excel at in the nfl.
I think the biggest fail factor with a lot of college QBs is that they played in offenses QBs with receivers who were always open from both scheme and talent differential and when they have to make decisions and go through progressions they struggle. I see this as one of the reasons fields is the most nfl ready.

You didn’t say much about Lance and im surprised you consider him less of a risk because he may not have yet played against an nfl caliber player.

You given fields too many excuses. One red flag with him in my mind is his inability see the field. He’s very slow to react. Go watch the game against northwestern in the championship game. He went to the wrong read a couple of times.

I watched every snap of his buckeye career, you are wrong.

Dude no you’re wrong. Go watch the YouTube highlights in his game against northwestern. Championship game. Go watch it.

I know you just do this for fun when the draft rolls around but the OSU-QB thing sounds so weak at this point. It's a just a tell that someone didn't watch Fields. I would find another talking point with respect lol.

It's also a weak talking point bc most QB's are going to fail. So the whole don't draft WR from USC or QB from OSU is just nonsense. Plus Fields & Haskins ran two different systems or were asked to do two different things. That's evident if you watched them.

Again though it's just a useless talking point cuz. I know you do this for fun but some stuff on here the past few days (not you but Clemson offense > OSU offense) , don't draft OSU QB (lol you :) I have to put on my cape and set you guys straight.

Wyoming isn't a better QB school than OSU bc Josh Allen has had more recent success. Not how it works amigo.

Had some blueberry pancakes, smoked bacon, potatoes today. Nice cold tall glass of OJ to wash it down.
Nice Cousin,
Good retort. I had banana sour cream pancakes this morning. A little better than silver dollar size, with maple ayrup. OJ and a mug of coffee that still sits in front of me.
It has nothing to do with the OSU as a school.
Vrabel was a great player for us. Terry Glenn was Drafted by us in the first round who was decent but a nut case. They have Devin Smith on the squad now.
It's history. Call it luck or not through many different coaching stalls. The best OSU QB we actually had, was Tom Tupa who was our punter.
I blame this on Woody Hayes mentality. Three yards up the middle and a cloud of dust. That is what OSU is noted for,
If you hate Cam Fields is just an updated version and Cam was an Auburn product.
I could be all wet about Fields but the odds are stacked against him.
Fields has 260 rushing attempts at OSU. Mac Jones has 54. Do you see where I am going with this.

Are you ready for the next stat.
Cam Newton . like Fields served two college programs. Guess what his rushing attempts were? ..............264.
So we might already have Fields on our roster, albeit a former NFL MVP who may or may not have shoulder issues.

Adversity: Another item that is alarming to me is the fact that Fields got his feelings hurt in Georgia by some idiot who called him a racial slur. Point one is how many of his African American teammates at Georgia use the same slur and point two is how many stadiums that Fields will play in will he hear those same slurs from certain numbskulls in the stands because you can get to him. How many players will he hear that from to get under his skin
I hope it doesn't happen.

Jones and Wilson are gone, I might rather have Lance than Fileds. He seems more mature.

I have pondered this back and forth. Yes it might be the best opportunity to move for a supposed top QB in the rich QB class.Here is the irony. Experts have said that if Darnold was in this QB class, he would be rated as the #3 QB.......??????? The Jets gave him away BUT Wilson was the better QB so I guess it mabe sense and he was Drafted by the old regime.

After Lawrence and Wilson I have no confidence to trade a lot of capital for a definite maybe at QB. I would rather pick up a blue chipper like a Parsons or Collins and wait on a QB.

Here is the DW Toys quick rating system:
DRAFT QB RATINGS:
EIGHT QB'S IN 2021 DRAFT-

SIZE; Trask, Lawrence, Mond, Lance, Fields, Jones, Mills. Wilson
ARM;Wilson, Lawrence, Mond, Fields, Lance, Mills, Jones. Trask
QUICK RELEASE:Lawrence, Jones, Wilson. Mills, Trask, Mond, Lance, Fields
COMPETING YEARS" Lawrence, Mond, Trask, Wilson, Fields, Jones, , Mills, Lance
DECISION ABILITY:Lawrence, Lance, Jones, Wilson,Trask, Mills, Fields, Mond
MATURITY:Lawrence, Jones, Mills, Trask, Mond, Lance, Fields, Wilson
SPEED: Fields, Lance, Mills, Lawrence, Wilson, Mond, Jones, Trask
TD'S TO INT RATIO:Lance, Jones, Trask, Fields, Lawrence. Mills, Wilson, Mond
TEAM SUCCESS;Lawrence, Jones, Fields, Lance, Trask. Wilson, Mills, Mond
INJURY ISSUES WORST TO LEAST:Jones, Lance, Trask, Mond, Fields, Lawrence, Wilson, Mills

8 being the highest points:
Lawrence=58
Wilson=38
Fields=42
Lance=47
Jones=54
Trask=45
Mills=32
Mond=37
Take it for what's it's worth

DW Toys

Is the consensus belief that SF is taking Jones? Because while I see the logic of a Mac/Shanahan pairing, "Now that you’re up at three, you don’t have to hide as much" sounds so much like a bad actor doing a bit, that I have to believe it's anybody but. More likely, with three weeks plenty of time still to get cold feet, they just don't want the nyj to get a whiff of whomever of Fields/Lance they like best. (Lance being my total guess.)

I wouldn't object to seeing the Pats trade up to 7 (or 8) now. Because: (a) with the expected run on QBs early, you might find yourself the 2nd or 3rd best player in the whole draft there; and (b) in the event Bill's guy is still around at 4, you have a tastier carrot to offer than Denver, and screw it, IBWT.

Nice Cousin,
Good retort. I had banana sour cream pancakes this morning. A little better than silver dollar size, with maple ayrup. OJ and a mug of coffee that still sits in front of me.
Vrabel was a great player for us. Terry Glenn was Drafted by us in the first round who was decent but a nut case. They have Devin Smith on the squad now.
It's history. Call it luck or not through many different coaching stalls. The best OSU QB we actually had, was Tom Tupa who was our punter.
I blame this on Woody Hayes mentality. Three yards up the middle and a cloud of dust. That is what OSU is noted for,
If you hate Cam Fields is just an updated version and Cam was an Auburn product.
Fields has 260 rushing attempts at OSU. Mac Jones has 54. Do you see where I am going with this.

Cam Newton . like Fields served two college programs. Guess what his rushing attempts were? ..............264.
So we might already have Fields on our roster, albeit a former NFL MVP who may or may not have shoulder issues.

Adversity: Another item that is alarming to me is the fact that Fields got his feelings hurt in Georgia by some idiot who called him a racial slur. Point one is how many of his African American teammates at Georgia use the same slur and point two is how many stadiums that Fields will play in will he hear those same slurs from certain numbskulls in the stands because you can get to him. How many players will he hear that from to get under his skin

Jones and Wilson are gone, I might rather have Lance than Fileds. He seems more mature.

I have pondered this back and forth. Yes it might be the best opportunity to move for a supposed top QB in the rich QB class.Here is the irony. Experts have said that if Darnold was in this QB class, he would be rated as the #3 QB.......??????? The Jets gave him away BUT Wilson was the better QB so I guess it mabe sense and he was Drafted by the old regime.

After Lawrence and Wilson I have no confidence to trade a lot of capital for a definite maybe at QB. I would rather pick up a blue chipper like a Parsons or Collins and wait on a QB.

DRAFT QB RATINGS:

INJURY ISSUES WORST TO LEAST:Jones, Lance, Trask, Mond, Fields, Lawrence, Wilson, Mills

Lawrence=58
Wilson=38
Fields=42
Lance=47
Jones=54
Trask=45
Mills=32
Mond=37

DW Toys

I like Jones, but I'm not sure you can give the guy on the list with the DUI the second-highest score for maturity.

You given fields too many excuses. One red flag with him in my mind is his inability see the field. He’s very slow to react. Go watch the game against northwestern in the championship game. He went to the wrong read a couple of times.
I havent given him any excuses at all. I disagree with what you think you saw. I watched every snap he played.

Dude no you’re wrong. Go watch the YouTube highlights in his game against northwestern. Championship game. Go watch it.
I don’t need to watch you tube highlights. I watched every snap of his buckeye career. Stop making me laugh with grading a draft prospect on you tube. He thouroughly outplayed Lawrence head to head in the playoffs too.

Nice Cousin,

DRAFT QB RATINGS:

Lawrence=58
Wilson=38
Fields=42
Lance=47
Jones=54
Trask=45
Mills=32
Mond=37

DW Toys
So your argument is that if Trevor Lawrence had gone to Ohio state he would suck?
And fields would be a different human if he stayed at Georgia instead of going to ohio state. That’s just ridiculous.

oh Jesus I responded before I read the whole thing. Now you don’t want to draft fields because he had an issue with a racial slur made against him? Wow. I guess I understand your position now. It’s not all those Ohio state QBs it’s all this BLACK Ohio state QBs.

I would love to move up to #4 just to put pressure on SF. I have absolute faith in the choking powers of Shanahan.
SF is imploding. I'm confident they will mess up the 3rd pick which will be the demise of Shanahan and Lynch.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back